Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:51:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Elements of Magic (Updated January 15th)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Elements of Magic (Updated January 15th)  (Read 8319 times)
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »

This looks awesome! I love the style, but the book interface doesn't seem to match.

Good luck,
Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Theophilus
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »

Love the style of this game. Refreshing.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »

Love the style of this game. Refreshing.
Thanks!

This looks awesome! I love the style, but the book interface doesn't seem to match.

Good luck,
Laxwolf

Also thanks!  Yeah - I've had mixed results with the book framing + paper-cutout art.  Several people have gone "oh neat, I love how the world is all paper and it's all in a book!"  But you're also not the first to say "neat, but why is the frame a book, I'm not sure that fits."

Not sure what to do to make them fit together better, other than making the book frame look more cartoony/paper textury?  Dunno.  If anyone has any good ideas, I'm open to suggestions here!

Anyway, random update!  Had a good week of productivity on the trains.  Managed to average about one new attack per day, except for the day when it was too crowded for me to take out my laptop. Smiley

Also tightened up some of the existing attacks, and got everything in a better order, to boot.  Wind level is actually super-close to done now.  Just needs some tuning/tweaks for the actual level itself and some minor code for a unique level mechanic.  After that... Woo!  I can mark that level done, and increment my "percent done" counter up by 20% or whatever.

So yeah.  Here are some screenshots.  They look better in motion, but so it goes:

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:20 AM »

Game is looking really great, nice job with it.

One suggestion for the book and art is to put some sort of framing device to blend the game in with the book a little more. Some sort of border transition so as to not make it such a contrast. But have to say am loving the look of the game.

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »

Still alive!

Holidays were busy, and I didn't get half as much done as I hoped, but still managed to eek out enough time to write some new guns for the player, as well as force some friends into helping me playtest.

I'll write up the new guns in a future post though.  Because tonight, I want to talk about what I wrote on the bus home today, because I think it is rad.

I've never been completely happy with the drop shadows, but I had them to a place where they weren't bad, so I was focusing on other things.  Over break though, I saw some neat cut-paper art, and thought "dang, my stuff really doesn't look like that yet, does it?  What is still missing?"

Anyway, long story short, I thought of some ways to make things look (hopefully!) better, and rewrote some shaders.  (Also did some optimization, and the whole thing only takes two passes now, instead of three! Woo!)

Here are the results:  I'm interested in feedback on them!  I think they look neater now, but I am also heavily biased, and have a tendency to think ANY problem that I solved in a way that feels clever is a better solution.  Smiley

Before: (Old shader)

After: (New shader!!)

You'll probably need to click on an actual picture to see the difference - it's not too noticeable from the thumbnails.  Which is probably a good indication that it's not actually that huge a change, but I still am happy that it's in at least.  Not only is the algorithm a lot cleaner now, but I finally got to make the edges a bit fuzzier, which I've been wanting to do for ages.

www.PaperDino.com

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »

Both look good, but I actually prefer the crisp shadows of the first one.. Sorry!  Grin
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »

That's totally fair!  I've received enough comments both ways that I may leave both in, at this point.  I have a toggle to switch between them right now anyway, as a debug - would be easy enough to make it an option, and the flat shadows have the advantage of only requiring shader model 2.0 (instead of 3.0 for the soft ones) so I may just stick it in the options menu and call it a day.

Personally, I think I prefer the fuzzy ones, but yeah.  Easy enough to support both!

www.PaperDino.com

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »

Update!

Got some neat things done this week!

First of, I finally finished the wind level, and am very happy with how it ended up.  Some of this was just writing cut scenes and hooking them up.  But part of it was writing the core mechanic for the level, which I think turned out really well.

The wind level, see, is structured like a race.  You actually meet the boss first thing in the level, and then he zooms off.  You have to reach the end of the level before he does, or else he gets there and gets bored, and you have to start the level over.  The way this plays out in game terms is that there is a little meter on the side of the screen showing both your and his progress.  He moves steadily along the track at a constant rate.  You move faster or slower depending on where you are on the screen.  So if you stay at the bottom of the screen, he'll outspeed you quite handily, and you'll end up in trouble.  On the other hand, if you manage to stay near the middle or top of the screen throughout the level, you'll easily overtake him.

It should go without saying of course that the top of the screen tends to be more dangerous, since that's where enemies spawn from.

Anyway, there's a visual cue as well - the background scrolls faster the faster you are going - so it's fairly easy to tell when you're going fast vs. slow.  But I really like what it does to the level.  I don't think I've actually lost yet, but I've come close a couple of times.  It's actually not that hard to outspeed the boss - when you're at the top of the screen, you're moving 2-3 times faster than he is.  But it's easy to end up behind, either because you're worried and hiding from enemies in the level or whatever.  (Or because I was mean, and made the miniboss fight stop you in your tracks, while the boss runs on ahead. >Smiley)

It ends up feeling a little like the final fight in Portal - it's not that you have to do anything especially hard, but having a meter there threatening you makes the whole thing feel more tense, even if the meter doesn't actually go fast enough to be a serious threat.  Just the fact that you know that the game is timing you about something makes things scarier somehow.

In other news, I finally got around to making built-in screenshots, rather than relying on shift+printscreen.  This is good for a couple of reasons.  First, it means I no longer have to deal with editing out the window-frame if I want to have my screenshots just show the game-screen.  (Since I can just save out the frame buffer directly.)  It also means I no longer have to go load up a paint program to paste images into.  And the inclusion of some basic code to increment the filenames means that I can just hit the screenshot button whenever something is neat happens and make sure everything goes into a separate file.

But it also means that I can set up a neat "screenshot mode" where it just takes a new screenshot every couple of seconds.  Which makes the game kind of annoying to play (screenshot taking takes around 1-2 seconds, during which the game pauses) but means that I end up with a lot of screenshots that I can then go sort through looking for good ones.  (This is a much better system than what I used before, where I would try to play the game and hit alt+printscreen mid-game, to catch neat things, and inevitably end up dead as a result.)  So, all in all a win!

Since the only pictures I had of the new shader in action were of the wind bosses, I figured I'd use this as an excuse to take some more screenshots of the fire bosses, so that's what the screenshots for the week are of.

In other news, I think I have a couple of new weapons to play with that I haven't talked about in this dev blog yet, but I'll probably save them for another entry, since they're kind of neat, and I will probably want to sit and talk about them for a while.  And this post is getting long enough as it is. Tongue

www.PaperDino.com

Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 07:03:52 AM »

The race idea sounds a bit like Kingdom Grandprix - which makes it pretty cool Smiley

Your screenshots look really nice too - I'm looking forwards to this!
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »

The race idea sounds a bit like Kingdom Grandprix - which makes it pretty cool Smiley

Your screenshots look really nice too - I'm looking forwards to this!

AHH!  That must be the game!

I've never actually played Kingdom Grand Prix, but when I described my racing level to a friend, he said "that sounds neat - it reminds me of some raceing shmup my roommate was showing me, but I forget the name.  I think it had the same mechanic."

Ever since then, I've been wondering about the mysterious racing shmup, and I'm pretty sure this is the one!  From the wikipedia article at least, it sounds like the basic mechanic (race - move faster by being higher up) is the same.  And my friend's roommate is a Sega Saturn fan, so it all fits.

Thanks!  I think you solved my mystery!

www.PaperDino.com

Uykered
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 02:59:57 AM »

Looks nice, interesting style.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic