Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 09:09:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60169 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »

I feel like the new translation is more precise, but less interesting than the original. It's as if it was translated by someone who knows the grammar of both languages but doesn't really understand how to translate ideas effectively between cultures. Or something.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »

Shih Tzu's translation was very good and, more importantly, localized very well.  It's not as if he was just "some guy" either -- he talked plenty with Pixel.  I've seen a picture of him with Pixel.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »

If Derek is reading all this he's probably dreading the XBLA release of Spelunky.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »

I haven't played the game, and I currently don't have the time to look more in-depth into Nicalis, which I have plans to do to see what I can dig up since this seems like it's something interesting to look into.

What I can say, though, is that I can agree with some those complaining about some of the changes, and the apparent lack of care with the implementation of the original music. If what I hear is true, then obviously the original soundtrack was added very hastily, maybe simply as a cheap attempt at appeasing old fans.

I have heard from a friend that accompanied this more closely (though I tend to take everything he says with a bit of salt) that the major reason CSWii was delayed was issues with Nintendo wanting changes to specific elements in the game. I remember at one point that Quote's outfit wouldn't be red anymore? I can't remember very well, and from the shots I see out there it seems that didn't go through.

Either way, Nicalis gives off a feeling of "Big publisher in miniature form" in how it handles things. It's somewhat possible that CS could have benefited more from being remade/ported by a more indie-minded team, that would be more in tune with the community and less impersonal.

But in the end, it's like it's been said. Hardcore fans will always find something to bitch on. Things that for outsiders seem minuscule for them will be a travesty. The old music issues I can definitely understand though. On a bad note, however, I heard that the Wii cannot have patches for its games. Can someone confirm this for me? Basically, there doesn't seem to be proper functionality for patch applications in the Wii software. Which means you guys might be stuck with shittily implemented old music.

@TheGhostsofChristmasPat

I'd advise you to not be so passionate in your criticisms. You're sounding like a Sonic fanboy, and that's not at all a good thing. Hatemail doesn't solve much of anything, I feel.

If Derek is reading all this he's probably dreading the XBLA release of Spelunky.

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of cold sweat travelled down his face at this thread. But then again, Spelunky has practically no dialogue, so at least that part can't be screwed up.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »

C'mon now, Derek can't read.  Cheesy

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »

I haven't played the game, and I currently don't have the time to look more in-depth into Nicalis, which I have plans to do to see what I can dig up since this seems like it's something interesting to look into.

I would like to insert here my study of Nicalis (which is from a more Night Game perspective than a Cave Story one, but still relevant).

Most importantly, so you don't have to wade through my garbage:

"Nicalis was incorporated in Santa Ana, California, on November 29th, 2007. It is comprised of Tyrone Rodriguez, a former video games journalist, and an unspecified number of programmers (whose names haven't been specified). (However, Rodriguez has elsewhere claimed that he has worked for Nicalis from August 2007, and the Nicalis website domain is known to have been registered on November 26th, 2007.)

The deal between Nicalis and Pixel was finalized, concerning the WiiWare port of Cave Story. It is not currently possible to know how much of the rights to Cave Story he gave to Nicalis.

However, soon after this, circa May 2008, the first few videos in DeceasedCrab's series of LPs of Cave Story were taken down by YouTube, at Nicalis's request. This suggests Nicalis has at least some rights to the PC version of Cave Story. DeceasedCrab himself was not allowed to give information on the situation."

Also in the post is some speculation regarding Nicalis's apparent exploitation of Nifflas and general shadiness, and some relevant links.

Also: Tyrone previously worked as Editor in Chief of IGN, as PR Manager at GolinHarris/Nintendo, as Senior Publicist at ONE PR Studio (where he apparently handled the publicity for the American launch of the Wii), and he's credited on some mobile games, including a Castlevania one.

(DeceasedCrab later got flamed constantly on the old Nicalis forums for pointing out the irritating ever-moving release date, and I think they banned him eventually.)

(I'd ask Nifflas for more information but he's apparently forbidden to say anything about Nicalis without Tyrone's approval.)
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »

Hello, I worked on the music for Cave story.
As you've all noticed, there's a lot of weird things going on with the audio, for instance : drum tracks not playing (there is actually drums in the music files we provided), instrument changes delayed, unbalanced mixing. I discovered this yesterday by watching "let's play" videos, and am as disappointed as you.

Nicklas and me have been asking many times for being able to sound check the game, but that's not really something we had control over.

Of course the music is still questionnable but I just wanted to say a few words about it since people start to associate us with all the audio oddities in that game. That's quite embarrassing, especially because I feel like we've done the job seriously considering limitations we had and time we spent sorting them out.

On the upside now, I talked to Tyrone yesterday, and he said something about updating the game when uploading the EU version, so you may also hope for a Balrog dialog change.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »

@googoogjoob

Not being allowed to discuss anything without the company's approval is something I've always disliked. I'm aware it's a perfectly common business practice, but that doesn't make it right. People should be allowed to express themselves, and if their relationship with the company is a good one, I imagine they'd only have good things to talk about. Preventing the people you're working with to talk about their work just feels like you don't want them divulging the more shameful things you're doing to them or their games.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

The nose in the original sprite is smaller! The statues are different!
NERDRAGE! Angry

Just kidding. Wink
I would like a mode with original grphics/sound in Spelunky, but it would be just an extra, not something necessary. As long the game is released well polished, there will be no problem.

I have heard from a friend that accompanied this more closely (though I tend to take everything he says with a bit of salt) that the major reason CSWii was delayed was issues with Nintendo wanting changes to specific elements in the game. I remember at one point that Quote's outfit wouldn't be red anymore? I can't remember very well, and from the shots I see out there it seems that didn't go through.

Either way, Nicalis gives off a feeling of "Big publisher in miniature form" in how it handles things. It's somewhat possible that CS could have benefited more from being remade/ported by a more indie-minded team, that would be more in tune with the community and less impersonal.
I wouldn't be surprised by either of these things. Even with Nintendo saying Wiiware is for indies, as far as I know(but I would be glad to be informed better/otherwise) its license seem to have mainstream studio requirements.

On the upside now, I talked to Tyrone yesterday, and he said something about updating the game when uploading the EU version, so you may also hope for a Balrog dialog change.
Huzzah! The hope is not lost! Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
MaloEspada
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »

Quote from: tyrone
I don't think there's room for interpretation when it comes to translating someone's vision into a different language. In the case of the fan translation of Cave Story, fans have fallen in love with it because it's been around for so long. You have to remember that Cave Story was made by Pixel and not Eon Genesis.

We translated the script with less liberties than the fan translation because it's Pixel's game and we don't have the right to mess with his story. The same goes for NIGORO. We're working very closely with them to make sure we convey the message that they want. They're the visionaries and directors of their games.

Huzzah was a lie, get over it!
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:40 AM »

Quote from: tyrone

Huzzah was a lie, get over it!

It might not be the exact translation, but I'm not sure "Oh yeaah!" convey the intended meaning better.

EDIT:
About Balrog's Huzzah, it was originally "Doryaa", which is kind of a battle cry. So it could mean "Huzzah" or whatever other thing. Still freaky how they changed the classic phrase to "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH".

source: GIRakaCheezer in nicalis forums
Shih Tzu's translation was very good and, more importantly, localized very well.  It's not as if he was just "some guy" either -- he talked plenty with Pixel.  I've seen a picture of him with Pixel.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:41:34 AM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »

Yeah, I can understand changing Grasstown to Bushtown, if it is the correct translation.  However there is little to no difference between how Hazzah and Oh Yeah are used, and while it doesn't change the game play that much, "Hazzah" is one of the lines I remember and love from Cave Story. (Going so far as when someone said it a little bit back, I asked them if they were a bar of soap.)

I don't think it would really change whether or not I might buy it, but I would much rather prefer it if "Hazzah" is used.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

Yeah, I gotta admit, if the music was actually playing properly in the game, it'd go a long way.  I don't actually mind the new tracks (the style), but my ears are *definitely* noticing the missing pieces.  They seriously sound incomplete.

As for the other little problems I have...bah, they're irrelevant.  Really, now that I think of it, the music glitches was the biggest turn-off to me.

Heh, reminds me of that study that Sony did at E3.  They asked players which game had "better graphics".  One had the sound on, the other was mute.   Even though the muted game was technically a higher quality, people rated the other game as having better graphics. 

I think I fell into that trap.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »

Hello, I worked on the music for Cave story.

Nicklas and me have been asking many times for being able to sound check the game, but that's not really something we had control over.
Ah, that's a shame.  Sad

But it's good to know you guys are on it!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

... On a bad note, however, I heard that the Wii cannot have patches for its games. Can someone confirm this for me? ...
I'm pretty sure it's happened a few times before, but they do seem to be pretty strict about it (which is understandable).  From what I've heard, even patching on XBLA is significantly discouraged...

... I'd advise you to not be so passionate in your criticisms. You're sounding like a Sonic fanboy, and that's not at all a good thing. Hatemail doesn't solve much of anything, I feel. ...
By the same note, I hate seeing the "who cares, NERD" argument pop up when it shouldn't.  (Not talking about anyone in particular here.)  It's cool to care about things!  I'm bringing it back.  We're all pretty nerdy to be on TIGS to begin with.  Tongue

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »

They have patched Virtual Console games before (like Military Madness for TG16) if I recall correctly.
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »

Yep, I've seen VC, wiiware, and wii cd games patched. They may not come as often as they do on the ps3, but patches still happen for certain games.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »

Yeah, I can understand changing Grasstown to Bushtown
"Bushtown" has several awkward connotations though.
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

Yes, we must bring back the old translation...Think of the children!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

Yeah, I can understand changing Grasstown to Bushtown
"Bushtown" has several awkward connotations though.
Isn't the new translation "Bushlands" anyway?  That sounds a bit less like a late night Cinemax show. Cheesy

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

Oh, right.  I remembered they changed the grass part to bush, guess I forgot the other half.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic