Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 01:21:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSheeptastic
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Sheeptastic  (Read 4990 times)
TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »

Sheeptastic

fun, funtastic, SHEEPTASTIC

What you have to do?
The objective in ApoSimple is to clear all the flower pieces to finish the level.. You can start a sheep by touching/click on it and it will start running with his direction. If it meets another sheep it will change the direction and the new sheep will add to the flock of sheep. If the flock of sheep are over a flower piece they will eat the flowers. If you collide with the fence, your flock of sheeps will getaway and you have to start a new sheep.
You have a limited count of moves. Higher levels means more flower pieces and on a flower piece you can't start a sheep.
If your count of your flock of sheep can be divided by 10, you get an extra move.

What is done?
An java-version with 2 hidden games is ready.

What to do?
1.) Find a good graphic"style" ... and that is a problem. =)
Do you like the style? What would you change?
2.) Perhaps a new name for the game. "Sheeptastic" for example ... do you have a better idea?
3.) idle animations for the sheeps.

4.) android port

current version
Click here to play

current gameplayvideo

hidden game walkthrough

current screenshots
ingame

current menu
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:45:42 AM by TheApo » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:52 AM »

Game sounds like a nice simple design, I like it  Smiley

The art style I think works for the game you're making. All I can suggest is to maybe tweak certain elements. The green of the grass could use a touch up. Maybe try another green or adding a few more greens to compliment it. Also your thick black outlines for the speech bubbles in the menu and the islands in game could be redone. At the moment they're a bit messy. I think just tweaking those elements will really impact on the whole look and give it a more polished finish.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

I'd make all outlines the same thickness

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

At the moment a friend of mine makes some new art.
But I make a short video, so you can have a look what is the current development status.
I hope you like it.
Video:

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:44 AM »

Today I've uploaded an alpha version.

Where I can play the alpha version?
Click here

What do you need?
- Java
- time

It would be very nice if some could test it.
Works everything fine? Do you like the levels?
Thanks =)

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »

Just had a play of your game and really enjoyed it. Was a challenge to get the hang of it but once you figure out some playing techniques it's actually really fun and addictive. Looking forward to seeing the new art cause that is the only issue I have with the current game.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

Doesn't run on Opera,

If your friend gets bored, leaves or sth PM me and I can try to make some art for you  Wink

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »

Thanks for testing.
Yes you are right. Now the next "big problem" is the graphic. Many girls told me they like the theme ('sheeps are sooooooooooooooo cute') ...

New version is online with some improvements:

- you can see how many steps you can make to get 3, 2 oder 1 star
- removed some little bugs
- compiled it with Java 1.6. Now you can play the game with Java 1.6 and not only with Java 7.

Click me to play the game

I am very happy because 2 people asked me if they can "preview" the game. What I have to do? An android port. So next step: make an alpha android version of the game.
TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »

New version is online:

Whats new:
- dogs: Sheeps are scared of dogs! They will turn their direction when they meet a dog. Except there are more than 6 sheeps then the dog is scared and will run away.
- black sheep: Black sheep are a little bit strange! they change their direction clockwise after one move.
- ingame editor: try to make your own puzzle
- more puzzles (at the moment 38)
- you can upload your userlevels
- you can make some notice (for planning the right sheep)

Whats missing:
- sound
- animations
TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 02:28:52 AM »

You can play the latest version here.

new version online
- added some sound!  Well, hello there!
- added some options
- removed some little bugs
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:53 AM »

Game is coming along really nice. Like the new additions of the black sheep and dogs to change the way you approach the game. Gameplay is turning out great.

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Now I implemented an interactive tutorial and 4 more levels.

Now comes the hardest part ... the animations ... but I'm optimistic. Wish me luck.
TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

new version is online

What is new?
- I added more levels
- fixed some bugs in the editor
- added some more sheep in the menu
- added a tutorial for the endless mode
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »

Sheep baaaaa baaaa...okay seriously I had so much fun with this, I could really seeing this style of game being thrown up on facebook or mobile devices (like you are already doing! Awesome) and I'm SUCH a sucker for cute things, regardless of how brave and strong I can sound and act this game got me with it's little A cappella "doop doops" in the music and pictures of sheep.

Anyways on feedback to start I had trouble running the offline version so I played in my browser, my java version is current and I'm running on Windows 7 64bit

1. the baaaaa sound is a bit too loud juxtaposed to the music in the menu, made me disable sound effects and I actually liked them too, just too loud with the cute music (that I wanted LOUD so I can go doop doop with it in real life too)

2. Targeting this feedback to my parents a pop up in the game telling how exactly each thing works rather than having all that info in a tutorial, they don't understand these tutorial things, and if it just had a quick popup saying black sheep do this! and dogs do that! with a quick picture and some text, they'd instantly understand =]

3. I like the whole get extra tries if you get 10 sheep...but then after that it's far harder to get say 10 more...and I don't really feel satisfied if I land a huge 18 combo (which is a TON of sheep haha, you try getting that combo often. =P)
so if I ruled the world I'd have say an extra bonus of something at 15 (points/or something) and  see if that insights the same feelings.

4. I felt like without the tutorial I wouldn't have known what my goals in each round were in endless mode. Before the stage advances a quick concise mini tutorial like stated in (2.) would address this. ex. Get all the flowers beds to adavance! lvl 2: Black Sheep do this thing! lvl 3: dogs will scare your sheep away without a herd of at least 7!

5. I love the drawing on the board feature...anyway I can just hold down say a button like ctrl and then just draw on map I play on? I felt like I really wanted to use it, but it was difficult to use effectively without it being on the fly.
hold X = red marker
hold Y = green mark
hold Z = eraser

I guess what I'm saying is some hotkeys would make this feature even better =]

5. How far you get sometimes is decided by the game and random chance rather than the player when the game gives you too many "dead" sheep (sheep along the edge of the square facing towards the fence, making your options extremely limited for hitting the 10 sheep minimum) one possible solution for this might be to make it so no sheep along the edge will be facing the wall at the very start. This is totally a design choice on you, as it will lead to a higher average score etc.

6. When I count and look at the sheep I was naturally counting from one through ten sheep and getting confused why I was hitting ten sheep but not getting a life...then I figured out the first sheep isn't counted in the math up to 10, so I actually need to get 11 sheep out of the fence, 10 addition sheep to the starting one, I'm curious if anyone else was confused by it? Maybe I'm just seeing things differently then the rest of the world =P.

Honestly, I'm trying really hard to come up with things I have even minor issues with, all I really could want is well more.

1. More Story: Maybe some cute dialog explaining a little quick minor story if it was witty, clever, and small enough it could add some nice polish.

2. More Music: For sure more cute music with additional "doop doops"

3. More Devices: Being able to post my high score on FB

4. More Local multiplayer connections: "a taking turns" style local multiplayer, where you both take turns on the same sheep map making moves, each with 2/3/4 lives competing for a high score!

5. More Online Multiplayer connections: Able to challenge a friend to a game and both start with the same sheep map to compete for score. (separate game though this time) (then post about it on social media sites)

That's just some neat little things I could see this project going, it's simple, catchy, and overall a little bit different then what I'm used to.

I'll post more as I play more, I need to hunt down something to dislike... Noir

zoq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:06 AM »

I tried this and I have to say it's very fun! The puzzles are satisfying to solve and because of the star system it's difficult to get completely stuck.

Some random notes:
-Sometimes, when a "strong" flock of sheep approaches a dog, their movement slows down. I don't know if this is intentional, but I think it's a bit weird. I'm running this in Chrome/Linux.
-The leftover sheep moving "down" after each move is a bit unintuitive for me, because in many levels the sheep are not packed in the bottom in the first place. Before seeing that the first time I assumed everyone would just stay where they are. It would make planning multi-move rounds simpler.
-Is the objective to help all the sheep escape or to eat the grass? The game isn't entirely clear on this matter.
-I'm not sure how useful black sheep are in levels where it's possible to win with one move.
-I admit I played only 10 or so levels in the puzzle mode, so I don't know if you have more different characters than white and black sheep and dogs. If you don't, it could be a good idea to add new pieces when you feel that it's difficult to create good new puzzles with the existing ones. I don't know, farmers, rocks, fences that turn sheep, moving dogs?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 06:07:19 AM »

6. When I count and look at the sheep I was naturally counting from one through ten sheep and getting confused why I was hitting ten sheep but not getting a life...then I figured out the first sheep isn't counted in the math up to 10, so I actually need to get 11 sheep out of the fence, 10 addition sheep to the starting one, I'm curious if anyone else was confused by it? Maybe I'm just seeing things differently then the rest of the world =P.

I agree with this statement, took me awhile to realise the first sheep isn't counted and I actually needed to get 11.

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:32 AM »

Big thanks for testing the game.

I will implement your ideas in the next version and you are right I will fix the flock of sheep size "bug".

Today the first little animation is ready.

What do you think? Nice or? :D
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »

Awesome animation man Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »

Liking the animations so far.

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!

Today new little animations:

I uploaded a new version with the animations and more improvements. You get some extra points after 15 sheeps and you need only 10 sheep to get an extra move.
I hope you like it. =)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic