Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:02:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPirate Heroes // Gem Dungeon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Pirate Heroes // Gem Dungeon  (Read 31776 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »

And this must have expansion packs like in carcassonne(great game too!)

Yes of couuurse! :D

I totally agree. at one of the last places I worked we were making a pipeworks type of game. I made a bunch of pieces and a game board and we tried a bunch of different game ideas. in about an hour we had the entire gameplay down pat. not to mention we were actually having fun with it. we had one person playing, one person randomly drawing tiles, and one person keeping time.

Yeah I did what with a Tsuro type of mini-game at my job. Everyone was arguing about how it would work, so I just got a couple sheets and drew about 15 pieces and played the game in the meeting in like 10 minutes.

I'm probably repeating myself but Brenda Brathwaite's Challenges for Game Designers: non-digital exercises for video game designers is the best brain starter for board, card and other types of games. You should read it.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

Here's a couple photos of the new prototype in action!  Tiger

Ashkin
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »

It's... Glorious...
Now the only hard part will be getting people to play with me.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »

looks cool. i don't know about the white though. it really doesn't convey "dungeon" though. maybe grey it up a bit and add a stone floor.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »

Awesomesauce
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »

looks cool. i don't know about the white though. it really doesn't convey "dungeon" though. maybe grey it up a bit and add a stone floor.

This!

Also:

It's... Glorious...
Now the only hard part will be getting people to play with me.

This!

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »

Corny Laugh

Like, cannot waits fo' sho'

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »

Looks amazing! Who, Me?

Yeah, I've been getting into board games recently, too.  The hardest part, though, is getting people together to play.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »

Agreed. I wish there were more good 2player board games cause not many people live near me and the wife.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »

Dom2D, I really don't know what to say anymore. Each of your posts in this thread is awesome, and I don't have much fanboy-esque exclamations left which doesn't sound like "I like it lol"-spam Durr...?

So you need to finish your game soon! You don't want "I like it lol"-spam, do you!?

Agreed. I wish there were more good 2player board games cause not many people live near me and the wife.
The Settlers of Catan Card Game, Shazamm!, Navia Dratp, every GIPF project game, Kahuna, Fantastate, Dominion / Thundestone - and that's only naming the few I have here and enjoy most. All time-tested for some good ol' 2 player fun Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:00:04 PM by TobiasW » Logged

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »

Did you rate your own game? I see a seven on the games profile.  Cheesy

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »

This is a very cool concept! I hope it really takes off, along with an obvious web-based multi-user version of it (which could take the hard getting people together part out - but certainly keep the real game in circulation).

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »

I like it lol

Anyways:
This is very professional looking; it actually looks like a game you could buy in a store.
The biggest problems with printing board games is that the pieces usually aren't strait and paper is thin. I'll try to find some thick paper to print it on, but that probably still won't solve everything.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »

The whole game won't convey "dungeon" all that much. It's supposed to be all casual and colorful and simple, instead of dark and gritty and stoney. I'll probably follow your advice anyway and put a subtle texture instead of plain white, as it feels kinda "print and play" right now.

Looks amazing! Who, Me?

Yeah, I've been getting into board games recently, too.  The hardest part, though, is getting people together to play.

Yeah, I wish I had a nerdy neighbor, always ready to play board games. I have found a place here in Montreal, where people meet and bring board games every wednesday and sunday, and THAT is very awesome. I get to try 2-3 new games per session, with new people. I'll probably bring my prototype some day, and test it in there with a variety of cool people.

So you need to finish your game soon! You don't want "I like it lol"-spam, do you!?

I don't know what to say anymore either! I'm amazed at how encouraging you guys are, and I'm really trying to bring you a really good version ASAP. :D

Did you rate your own game? I see a seven on the games profile.  Cheesy

Of course I did XD

I play TONS of Carcassonne with the (rather-casual) gf. We discovered Jaipur (perfect game), Mr. Jack and Ticket to Ride recently, all really great, short games for 2 players. Ticket to Ride is best with more, but it's still fun with 2P.

This is very professional looking; it actually looks like a game you could buy in a store.
The biggest problems with printing board games is that the pieces usually aren't strait and paper is thin. I'll try to find some thick paper to print it on, but that probably still won't solve everything.

What I was just thinking is this: I'll give you guys a Print n play version, but I'll also prepare a classy and solidly crafted physical version. I'll see if I can make a version using online services like TheGameCrafter or ArtsCow or something, and package a neat little box that would cost (if possible) under 20$. I don't want to make money with it, but I personally think it's worth paying a bit of money instead of printing and cutting and gluing and messing everything up and eventually not playing the game! Haha! I dunno. I'm tired. Tongue

This is a very cool concept! I hope it really takes off, along with an obvious web-based multi-user version of it (which could take the hard getting people together part out - but certainly keep the real game in circulation).

I'm not good enough at Actionscript to code this for now, but if anyone's interested in coding a cool multiplayer version of Gem Dungeon, I'd be VERY happy to collaborate!!!!

So, answers out of the way, here's a little pic.
I played a game of Gem Dungeon against myself (pathetic!) without time or point limit. This is a picture of the game after all tiles have been used. The game could continue on until there's no monster nor boss left on the board, but I'm suddenly very tired! I'll clean that up tomorrow.... Tongue

Maybe I should rename the game RUG DUNGEON.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »

Even if your not finished with the tiles, you should give us the rules so we can know how to play once your done. (and totally not just so we can see more content.) And it's totally worth buying.

Darn it, I wanted the rug.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »

This looks totally awesome and I really want a copy of this to play right now!
Keep up the good work Smiley
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »

This is awesome :D

I wonder if I should put some boardy games I've made up somewhere. Nowhere near as pretty or vast as this though >:

♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »

It's funny how one of the most basic game ideas seems so fresh and exciting in board game form. It may have something to do with your awesome illustrations but this game seems very exciting for me which is definitely rare, at least with video games. Can't wait to play. I feel like it's going to take a long time to print and cut all those cards out  Shocked
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »

I wonder if I should put some boardy games I've made up somewhere. Nowhere near as pretty or vast as this though >:

You should!!

It's funny how one of the most basic game ideas seems so fresh and exciting in board game form. It may have something to do with your awesome illustrations but this game seems very exciting for me which is definitely rare, at least with video games. Can't wait to play. I feel like it's going to take a long time to print and cut all those cards out  Shocked

It's a little long to cut out, but it's not so bad. There's about 12 pages of cards, 7 pages of tiles and 3 pages of tokens (monsters, bosses, ghosts). There's no folding or gluing or whatever, so I say pop a movie in the DVD player and cut while you watch! Tongue

Even if your not finished with the tiles, you should give us the rules so we can know how to play once your done. (and totally not just so we can see more content.) And it's totally worth buying.

In fact I'm not finished with the rules... I'm iterating a lot, constantly improving it. I am reaaaally close to a complete version though!

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2010, 07:20:43 AM »

Wow this looks GREAT!

I know having it as a board game makes it more original, but is there anyway you might eventually.. ah, "port" this thing into a videogame? With cards and dice and the like in tact. I hope I don't sound too cheesy.  Embarrassed

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic