Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411559 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:22:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGuert's Grinder Submission thread
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Guert's Grinder Submission thread  (Read 13461 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »

Attention all indie developers!

If you desire to submit your game to the grinder, please post your game here.

Submission rules:
-You have to introduce yourself, the team behind the game and where you are heading with the game
-You have to post the name of the game, a simple description and at least one screenshot.
-You must be serious about developing the game
-You must be indie!
-You must have at least posted 10 times
-You must be able to provide a public demo so others can try the game

This thread is for submissions and relevant comments only .

What is Guert's grinder?

The grinder is a very long and hard critic of a game in development. It is aimed at everyone who as an interest in developing games. Those who truly desire it may post their game on this thread. And when I say truly, I REALLY mean it. A game that will go through the grinder will be attacked from every front, tested, trashed, ran down and ripped apart by yours truly. Why? So that we can learn along the way on how to make our game stronger, tougher and flawless...

And yes, this is all for learning sake. I want to make this an interesting read for others as well so that we all learn from a mistake that anyone could make.

So, for those who submits to the Grinder, do not expect any easy praises and yes, you will get hurt  This won't be for the faint of heart.

Once a game will be grinded, everyone will be free to discuss about what I said because in the ned, no soul owns the utlimate thruth: it comes from an amalgamate of different visions of the same subject.   

Grinds will be posted in their own threads. There we will be able to discuss. The grinds should be monthly, in theory, but since they take a lot of time to create, I can't promise a specific rate. Might be often, might be not, time will tell...

That's pretty much it!
Take care all!

Games waiting for grinding

None

Past Grinds

Space Barnacle

Devastation

Roach toaster 2

LexVenture

BattleShip Forever

On hold
-Fez (Fish)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:51:33 PM by Guert » Logged

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »

-You have to post the name of the game, a simple description and at least one screenshot.
All that's in this topic  Grin
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=571.0

-You have to introduce yourself, the team behind the game and where you are heading with the game
I'm Radnom, I'm doing all the coding, graphics and sound effects for the game. I have some guys (Super Fine Spunk Princess) doing all the music. I've been working on this game on and off for over a year now.
I want to get the game done alongside my various school projects.
The game will be released for free.
I'd like to add a lot more to the game in the form of levels, boss battles and enemies, but I'm a little unsure of how I can stop the game getting too repetitive.
I want to make the game as good as I can, but I'd like expectations to be reasonable, as I am but one man.

I've never been more dedicated to a project.

-You must be indie!
As indy as I can be, haha

At the time I'm posting, I've got 53..

Tr00jg
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »

Shotbeak Games is pretty a one man adventure. I have outsourced some sprites and menu art to other people, but the rest is pretty much me. The man behind it is me (duh), Simon de la Rouviere. I plan to hopefully release the game as my first foray into shareware somewhere in the beginning next year.

Check the Roach Toaster 2 topic. (new screenies will be posted soon).

I have been working on it for +- 13 months all through other aspects of life.

-You must be indie!

Cool

Ah yep!

P.S. I justed post this to get my place. I will hopefully upload a new version to be grinded sometime before the end of the week. I have my final school exams coming up, so I wont have that much time to work on it (during the exams of course).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:07:16 AM by Tr00jg » Logged
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »

i would like to place a reservation for a grinding when im done with fez, whenever that is.

i am fish, hear me roar.

fez is a game about funny little red hats.

im so serious its funny.

-You must be indie!

im so indie its not funny.

you know it.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:17:47 AM by Derek » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:53:04 AM »

Fish, I can't tell if you're serious or simply joking anymore... Wink

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »

i seriously want you to grind my game when its done.
seriously.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:01:19 PM by fish » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

i seriously want you to gring my game when its done.
seriously.

Is it just me or does that sound really dirty?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »

Hay everyone,

My name is Tiago Tex Pine, I'm one of the partners of Interama Games (http://www.interama.net). I am new here at the forums, but since May I've been reading the TIGSource RSS feed, and played some of the games posted there. I like it, I find games with concepts I can't find anywhere else  (some of them I don't even understand how to play, like Cortex Command, lol).

I'm going to provide now the link to download ans screenshots. I introduce myself, my team and the project below (it turned out to be quite long, lol). I am also aware that I don't have 10 posts, but we do need this kind of review Guert provides.

http://www.interama.net/lex/LexVenture_Beta_0.88_English.exe

Screenshots:

http://www.interama.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/screenshot161.jpg
http://www.interama.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/screenshot09.jpg
http://www.interama.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/screenshot14.jpg
http://www.interama.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/screenshot17.jpg

We have this game, LexVenture, that we believe is close to the final version. However, we do need (a lot) to test its Beta version more. This is a word game, but word games are not widely popular in our home country (Brazil), so we can't find many experienced testers, even with the Portuguese version of the game.

I know what you might think - "if word games are not popular in the country, why bother to make a Portuguese version?". Well, because there are word games fans, and because this is a country that badly needs its citizens to read more. I mean, BADLY, and this is a kind of game that schools look for.

Anyway, I'd like to grind the English version of LexVenture here. Smiley We are a team of 8 developers (http://www.interama.net/?page_id=25), among programmers, artists and a musician. We have been developing the game for almost one year. We changed many things since the original concept, because we tried to create some innovation over the traditional board word games mechanic (like Scrabble and Upwords), in such a way that the game could not exists outside the virtual world (as a boxed board game, for example).

This is THE most important project for all of us. We invested everything we earned in 2006 (working on game assets outsourcing), and the company has not even earned a dime since January. The partners invested their economies as well, because innovating gameplay, as you all surely know, takes time and can't really comply Project planning and fixed scheduled dates.

We didn't have any help of publishers, distributors, nor anyone already involved on game industry. In fact, we are just starting to getting in touch with them, because we need to begin evaluating distribution contracts and stuff. We did have help of the Brazilian Department of Culture, but a financial help, not a specialized one (and it covered only 30% of total costs).

That's why I do think we can be named serious indie developers. We are following our own concepts and intuition, we are deadly serious about this game, and now our future as a game company depends on it.

I would like to thanks in advance to anyone that can help us testing it! An on a final word, I expect no less than an absolute, merciless grinding of this game. Smiley

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:40:03 PM by Tex Pine » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:01:07 PM »

Hey, Tiago, you need at least 10 posts to receive a grinding (:D).  Which I think is fair.  Otherwise, anyone can just walk up off the street and ask for a grinding (:D).
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »

anyone can just walk up off the street and ask for a grinding (:D).

man, i hate when that happens.

Eden
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:12:53 PM »

oh the innuendo... 
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:32:39 AM »

By the time Guert's grinded through the other games on the list, Tex'll have more than ten posts Tongue

Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »

Well, ok then...
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »

Tex, just give some comments to other game and stay active until you get your game grinded and everything will be fair.

Just like Derek said, I don't like people I just met walking up to me and ask ing "about a grind?". We need to get to know each other before we do that. Smiley

(Man, that grind term is really great! It's dirty, rough, serious and funny, all at the same time! :D)
Later!

Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

Sure thing, Guert. I agree with you indeed. Actually, I've been browsing on this Feedback forum, it is as great as the TIGSource RSS feed to meet new ideas and concepts. I should have some opinions on them by this weekend.

Seeya.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »

seriously, grindingis gonna go down in history.
years from now, kids will use it to refer to somekind of super in dept super-review without knowing where the word came from. but we'll know.

IGN EXCLUSIVE HALO 5 GRIND
40 PAGES OF GRINDING!

we'll know.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:20:28 PM by fish » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »

Halo 5?

God forbid.

Tr00jg
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

Halo 5?

God forbid.

After seeing that it is the biggest game ever, I would not be surprised to see Halo 7.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »

Yay for license milking!

Just wrap your lips there and suck hard, babies.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 03:39:01 PM »

Just wrap your lips there and suck hard, babies.

Halo 7

Finish the Fight

For Realz this Time
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:21:06 AM by Alec » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic