Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 05:09:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCrowd-sourced RPGs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crowd-sourced RPGs?  (Read 1022 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »

With all the Skyrim chatter, it got me thinking: Are there any RPGs out there that explicitly support user created quests? I don't mean like mods and stuff, but games that actually integrate user-gen'd content into the single player experience. inFamous 2 is the closest thing that comes to mind, and it's a bit RPG-ish.

Imagine playing Skyrim, and the game just inserts random user-generated quests here and there. It would be tricky to do, and you'd need to have a good rating system, but it would really keep the game alive (which would result in more sales for you, if Valve has taught us anything).

So kinda like Little Big Planet but for a big RPG..just a thought.

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »

Graal Online's original (Classic) world, while obviously not single player, played pretty much like a single player adventure with player level submissions and PVP. Most of the submissions were just houses though, but occasionally they'd allow new quests and items/weapons. Classic's long dead, and as far as I'm concerned Graal died with it, but there might be other playerworlds that still do similar things.

Also, Elona (http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html) allows for uploaded player homes (read: deathtraps), which can be accessed through randomly created gates in towns.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »

Neverwinter Nights supported player-created campaigns and coop AFAIK (one player was "dungeon master").
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »

I think you were able to craft quests in Star Wars Galaxies (I don't know how seamless it integrates user quests)
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/14/some-assembly-required-quest-building-with-swgs-chronicles/

In the Vampire: the Masquerade video games classical roleplay sessions with one GM are possible too.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:07:52 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »

In the classical roleplay gaming community there are a ton of games like this.  Their games typically have a screening process for user-submitted quests though.  The end result is more like a community effort to create a whole game, and the emphasis is obviously less on the skill/technique/grinding etc, and more on the storytelling aspect.

I can't remember the names of the specific games I tried out though, I'm all for cheap thrills.

hi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic