Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:08:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignUplink-Style Game Idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Uplink-Style Game Idea  (Read 1353 times)
injustpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »

I played Uplink recently, and really enjoyed it. I though about how I could make a similarly-styled game. Tell me what you think:

Like Uplink, you are a guy who works as a freelance hacker. Hack into other companies and steal or destroy information, etc. Eventually, you quit this job and become a hacker for your own benefit. You can browse the Witnet (alternative universe internet) and look through news and websites. As you look, you can save pages of news and use them for information. With this method, you can do anything you'd like. What you do, if it is newsworthy, will appear in local news all the way up to global news. Your goal is to be stealthy and leave no trace.

Eventually, you become so powerful that you can cause a nuclear war by tricking a country, dominate the world, remotely control rockets, anything.

What do you think? I'll answer any questions, and I'd like some constructive feedback.

Thank you!
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »

The story sounds a different, but would the game mechanics be any different?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:32:20 PM by Falmil » Logged
injustpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »

The story sounds a different, but would the game mechanics be any different?

Still working on it, but what I have now is that missions are made an completed by you, as opposed to taking missions from other people. You can do anything you like with much bigger consequences.
forwardresent
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »

I really like Uplink too, played it for years. On Uplink I did sometimes just do things for myself, but I see where you're coming from, you'd just need to work out the motivation for it.

If you can differ the gameplay it could be interesting.
injustpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »

I really like Uplink too, played it for years. On Uplink I did sometimes just do things for myself, but I see where you're coming from, you'd just need to work out the motivation for it.

If you can differ the gameplay it could be interesting.

Like I said, I'm still working on it. Is there a field you'd like to see?
forwardresent
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »

A console, with commands, akin to a game called Street Hacker which I really liked. Uplink went for the Hollywood-esque portrayal of hacking, I'd maybe like more input.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »

One thing missing from all these games is the ability to make your own automated, possibly parametrized, script. No one does all this crap manually (except in movies). Having to type these commands or click everything individually (I've played Uplink and some other hacking game and don't remember which was more involved and used the command line) made me get tired of both games.
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »

One thing to consider is having your own machine getting hacked being more interesting.  When Uplink pulled something like that, it just...happened.  "Your Terminal has been disconnected and you have been disowned by Uplink corp..."

So maybe some sort of "base building" mechanic would be cool.  Set up some firewalls, install some sort of permenant proxy solution, anti-port sniffers, go wild. 

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
neki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »

a non-linear, "open world" hacking game where your actions have large scale consequences... I like it Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic