Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 07:59:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow do games affect relationships?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: How do games affect relationships?  (Read 9192 times)
fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »

Sometimes games feel like they get in the way, my girlfriend doesn't like them, except for the odd game of Mario Kart. The darker the game I'm playing, the less time she can bear to be in the same room as me. I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment, which doesn't help. Any of you suffer the same situation?

But then there's the other side - me and my 2 older brothers have been playing Street Fighter together since its incarnation. This has made for some of the most fun I've had, bring us together rather than pushing us apart.

I'd like to hear how games affect the relationships you have with those in your life - I have the intention to put these concepts into a game of my own someday.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:21:39 AM by fullspectrum » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:41:35 AM »

Humm. My girl isn't a particular video game fanatic but she loves playing with me and watching me play.

I guess it just depends on the type of person you're having a relationship with. If you really like video games and your girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't, I'd consider that a personality conflict. I wouldn't be able to live with a girlfriend/boyfriend with such a conflict. Video games mean much to me, and I've known them longer than any unrelated person I've ever met. They make me comfy.  Kiss

Sorry to hear that your girlfriend doesn't like your hobby, but not all people are like that. Not even close.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »

Everytime me or my brother buy a new game, we usually wait and don't open the box until the other one is there.

Even nowadays where we only see each other on the weekends.

We both love videogames, and we know how great it is to share the experience of going through a game the first time.

Okay, that sounded kind of gay, didn't it!? Tongue

Oh, and I recently went on holiday with 4 friends of mine, 3 of them girls.
I brought a Wii along and Mario Kart.

...I am glad I did, it was awesome  Beer!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:45:34 AM »

My girlfriend got mad at me because I finished Twilight Princess and Shadow of the Colossus without her watching. My entire family on my dad's side plays videogames, all the way up to my great grandparents, who have an NES. My brother and myself used to play games together all the time, we almost beat any coop game, we used to play TFC and Counterstrike beta in 5 death rotations. Now he kicks my ass at Guitar Hero, probably helps that he is a drummer.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »

Good lord, I wish I could find these women.

My first girlfriend was really the only I knew who played video games. Those were some fun times. Smiley It was more of just time together kind of thin. Sometimes we'd play really hardcore. Other times we just sat resting on each other and one person would just play, kinda like a movie setting where everyone is quiet.

Other than that videogames are usually a social gathering of like 4 or more people. Scarfing down pizza, pop and the like. Laughs all around.

I fin though it happening less and less, most people around me have such full schedules that solitary gaming is all they get.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »

she loves playing with me and watching me play. (fullspectrum: games, that is)
That sounds like the perfect relationship there man, nice work.

My girlfriend got mad at me because I finished Twilight Princess and Shadow of the Colossus without her watching.

Jealous x 2.

Did you guys know that your girls were in to games before you got together - or did you convert them?  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:00:07 AM by fullspectrum » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »

Videogames ended my relationship.

fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »

Man, I wouldn't be so invasive as to ask for details, bit was that a compromise you were willing to accept?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:21:01 AM by fullspectrum » Logged
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »

Did you guys know that your girls were in to games before you got together - or did you convert them?  Smiley

She used to play them a bit when she was younger, she got back into them when she started going out with me. She really likes Rockband/Guitar Hero and she played a bunch of Kingdom Hearts.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »

When you're in the twenties or younger, it's generally advised to spend less time with games and more time with your love interest. At least, when (s)he's around don't play unless (s)he is a game enthusiast and it's a two player game.
I mean don't play the GOW solo campaign and expect your love interest to enjoy watching you play.
Play the solo campaign when you're on your own.
Also videogames can make you look childish, which isn't paticularly good for your reputation. I mean don't spend your time talking about sonic fanfiction or sthg like that.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »

she loves playing with me and watching me play. (fullspectrum: games, that is)
That sounds like the perfect relationship there man, nice work.

Bonus points if she touches herself  while watching you play Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Movius
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »

Games don't affect relationships, you affect relationships.

Theres all that communication and personal interaction stuff in a relationship, not just a big checklist of do's and don'ts.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 10:50:26 AM »

I spend a lot of time watching my boyfriend play games... ha ha i have no problem with it, and it gives me a chance to see those big budget games (because thats what theyre good for).. without having to play them myself ( im terrible at games)  he also will play the silly games with me too on nintendos and when cave story wii comes out its going to be a role reversal my turn!! ha ha ha Evil Evil Evil Evil
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

I don't have a girlfriend. Sad

But the only person in my family that doesn't play videogames is my mom (and even she played Mario 64 way back when, obsessed with beating that penguin race). My dad loves FPSes (even though he's pretty terrible at them and can never simultaneously move and look around) and fighting games, and my sister thinks horror games (and movies) are "sick" (in the bad way) and my brother's just like me (<3 games). In all, though, I think games have brought us together as a family more times than anything else (DK64 4 player deathmatch ftw) and have strengthened our bond to one another. Whenever one of us can't get past a certain spot in a game, it's almost guarunteed that another can, so we trade off often even in single player games. The only person who seems repelled by our gaming habits is my mom, who is adamantly against them and thinks they're a waste of time. Even so, I think she'd like some of the more humorous and lighthearted games given the chance.

What sucks though is that my dad's always working now, and my sister moved out, and my brother's too engrossed in WoW for me to ever have anyone to play with. Sad

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »

Personally, I think playing games strengthens mine and my girlfriend's relationship. Usually we only play single player games but we always discuss whatever we're playing with each other and talk about the strengths and weaknesses of particular games. I think it would be really hard to be with someone that didn't like games just because it seems that those that don't like games are adamantly against them and think that they are a waste of time. Hell, my girlfriend even beat Cave Story before I did :D
Seriously though, I would really talk to your girlfriend about it if anything and just probe into why she is bothered by you playing games. Is it because she thinks you don't give her enough attention because you are playing games or is it because she doesn't like the type of games you are playing? I would just be vocal with her and let things work themselves out from there.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »

Much of my childhood was me and my brother playing games together. Usually the RPG or puzzles games. I would type and we would solve it together (Agile/XP game playing?). It was actually a rather nice bonding experience that we both enjoyed.

My wife in general doesn't care for games. Most of the time, she does her thing (TV, quilting, martial arts) and I do mine (games and programming). However, there are exceptions. Shining Force Exa brought her into the room every time, if anything because of the centaur who would cry out "Behold my mighty blows" but we both kept hearing "Behold my mighty balls!" and would crack up. Occasionally, she would just come into my office and sprawl out on the guest bed to be near me, but other times, she would request (we have the "Interrupt Protocol" in our house to prevent obsession) that I come visit for 1, 5, 30, 60 minutes depending on her mood (i.e. a kiss, a snuggle, a short TV show, or a long one respectively).

But, we had a few struggles to getting at that happy medium. And a few relevations. I don't do WoW or anyone game like that, mainly because it would stress our relationship too much. And there are a few games she's requested I not have in the house again (God of War for example or any where dogs die in a whining noise).
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »

Man, I wouldn't be so invasive as to ask for details, bit was that a compromise you were willing to accept?

Sorry, I was just being dramatic. They weren't really what ultimately degraded the relationship, no. It wasn't a choice between my girlfriend and videogames, especially because she actually did play games, just much more casually than me.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »

My ex girlfriend went to competitions and stuff for Guilty Gear and such and she is really a great gamer. She tried to push me onto newer games and such, which I was still playing my NES and Genesis, which she enjoys but would rather play 360 games, and multiplayer stuff.

She'd yell at me for playing Castlevania all day, but she really appreciates games. I won't date a girl unless they like video games, so it will never really affect my relationship. I just need a girl who appreciates old games more than new ones  Lips Sealed
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

I'm getting pissed off with a couple of my friends playing goddamn WoW. six of us sitting around taking turns at Rock Band and one person's off in another room power levelling.

Games like Mario Kart, however dull I find them, are great for playing with non-gamers.

Knightmare
Level 1

Brittany Cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »

Video games are a staple with my boyfriend and I.  We are both hardcore gamers, both pretty damn good too.  I honestly can't say what it would be like without them.   Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic