Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:55:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you REALLY dislike / hate
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Games you REALLY dislike / hate  (Read 32130 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

Driver.

The concept is all, "Hey, 70s car chases!"

The execution is all, "You've agreed to meet some gangsters.  You decide to leave 45 seconds before the meeting, and these crooks are such sticklers for punctuality, they won't speak to you if you're even a second late. Have fun!"

Not to mention the horribly unbalanced tutorial mission which is more unforgiving than the first third of the game, or how your character gives up if the enemy he's chasing is three blocks away from him on a one way street with no turnoffs for a few miles.

Also, No More Heroes. The over-the-top satire fell flat, and nearly all of the game felt like senseless, senseless padding.

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »

Also, No More Heroes. The over-the-top satire fell flat, and nearly all of the game felt like senseless, senseless padding.
I don't like your opinion. Sad

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »

Yeah, Satire is funny like that.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »

Final Fantasy IX. Yes I played it all the way through. It left me SO. COLD.

Final Fantasy XII. Hated it because it was such a near miss... how could the game be so perfect but the story be so metallic?

Midnight Club/Need for Speed Underground/any game which involves illegal nighttime import tuner racing. Because people used to do it outside my bedroom window in Australia and it's not as glamorous or romantic as some people seem to think it is.

Doom. I know this is sacreligious, but I don't see why we should laud a game which rips off Into the Eagle's Nest while getting it all wrong. Anyone can add an additional dimension, but as all the 4D maze games show, this is not a way to make things fun.

Tony Hawk/Soul Calibur/Tekken/any other game that wants me to remember twenty different sequences of joystick movements. I already have phone numbers to remember, and punching them in is about as fun as pulling off that kickflip-grind-ollie combo.

Cricket games. For always getting it wrong when the sport is so much fun to play.

Half Life 2 episode 2. Most polished turd ever.

Knights of the Old Republic. Maybe I was missing something, but it was like they took the drawbacks of a linear design and added the drawbacks of an open world, without including the benefits of either.

Black and White 2. If ever there was a better demonstration of why you should try to avoid using unnecessary text in a videogame, this was it. Although according to this hilarious review, Fable 2 is even more annoying in this regard.

God of War. I know this is blasphemy too, but I felt like the time would have been better spent playing Everquest. I wasn't having fun and it felt like a very pretty but menial job.

Metal Gear Solid 2. Another frustratingly near miss. RAIDEN. RAIDEN!!!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »

Black and White 2. If ever there was a better demonstration of why you should try to avoid using unnecessary text in a videogame, this was it. Although according to this hilarious review, Fable 2 is even more annoying in this regard.
What about IJI huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »

The oddworld game for the xbox. I got it when it first came out (don't remember why) and finally sold it a month ago, after having it for the better part of five or six years. Just couldn't get into it, I would try and beat it, but eventually I would be like "Why, why is everything so slow!!!" and then stop. I don't think I ever got half way.
cyber95
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2008, 09:41:17 PM »

Pokemon on GB/GBC. Used to love 'em. Can't stand them any more.
I think the reason is this: Running Shoes.
In the GBA games they introduced Running Shoes, so that you can get places faster from the start of the game, instead of having to wait for the bike.  I recently found Pokemon Crystal, and was going to play it, but bored really quickly because it was moving way too slowly.

Ah, progress. How you make old stuff obsolete enfuriates me.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »

why not just tough it out until the bicycle? it's not that long...
also, i thought gold and those had them?

cyber95
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

why not just tough it out until the bicycle? it's not that long...
also, i thought gold and those had them?
I thought G/S/C had it, too, but I was wrong.
I wanted to still like it, but I didn't.  Part of it might have also been that I could be playing the same thing, but better looking.  I like nostalgia, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  I'd usually rather play the polished remake than the original.

PaleFox
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »

Lesseee
Tactics Advance was a genuinely fun strategy game: the story was kind of political and interesting by JRPG standards, and the gameplay didn't feel like work.

On another note, is A2 any better?

I have A2, because I keep on buying those sort of games for some reason (not just FF Tactics, but FE etc.) and so I can give you the rundown on it. Think of it like this: the original had a complex, mature story, if confusing, and good gameplay. The second had a mediocre story, maybe it could have been ok with polish, but the gameplay irritating especially judges. A2 has a main story shorter than some of the sidequests in it, yes? It has a main branch of quests but they rarely actually MEAN anything. However, I'd say the gameplay is very polished, not as good as the original. On the other hand, it has a clever turn order thing on the top screen that is incredibly useful, and most of the dispatch missions (remember those?) you can do for yourself which is nice. Plus it has a "hard" mode, not really hard sadly. All in all, if you're a fan of the systems and stuff like that, and you can ignore inane dialog it's probably worth a buy. Just don't expect to care about anyone actually in the storyline Sad .
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:16 PM »

I hate Oblivion, soooo much. It's so boring and repetitive that you can almost hear the clacking of the keys as the developers press 'Ctrl+C...Ctrl+V...' over and over again. And I especially hate them for blatantly lying about the game in all the videos before it released. Everything they said about Radiant AI was utter bullshit. And then every idiotic game reviewer completely failed to notice! The reviews actually said that the AI was good. Another duplicitous thing Bethesda did was make the first dungeon much better because it was the one they were showing off in the demo videos. Like that pot over the well which you shoot an arrow into, and it tilts realistically. Pretty cool, but every other hanging pot in the game isn't physically simulated at all. That's a perfect example of the many tiny things that make it such a repugnant game.

And most of all I hate Oblivion because nobody else seems to notice anything wrong with it.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »

I hate grand theft auto.

Years and years and fucking years of playing "we've all gone to a mate's house to be sociable let's take turns playing a FUCKING SINGLEPLAYER game, ignoring all the objectives just seeing how long we can last if we go on a killing spree."

WHY WOULD I WANT TO WATCH THAT. the game is not fun to watch anyway, especially when it consists of mostly hiding in an alley with a rocket launcher doing nothing.

Not to mention the game itself is dull, poorly-made crap, and not at all fun to play on its own. Sad

olücæbelel
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

I dislike Snood and Oblivion in particular. I dislike pretty much any FPS game. I dislike any sports game besides NBA Jam. I dislike most platformers, particularly those with "floaty" jumping. I dislike highly polished but pointless, vacant games that don't impart anything of value besides addicting gameplay, like the majority of casual games, especially Match-3 games and hidden object games. I dislike games that glorify real human wars on a moral basis, although they can be fun to play (an example is Panzer General II). I dislike most "arcade" style games where the only goal is to get a higher and higher score for a high score list. In general I dislike games without stories. I dislike adventure games with puzzles that most people would require a FAQ for no matter how intelligent they are, with puzzles that rely on trial and error. I dislike text adventure games that revolve around puzzles, even though they have some of the best writing. I dislike jRPGs, although if they have a story I like the repetitive gameplay is bearable. I dislike MMORPGs, except for Dofus (which I like to an extent). I recognize that others can enjoy these games, I'm not saying people have bad taste for liking those games, just that I do not see their appeal and find it mysterious how others can like them.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »

I hate Oblivion, soooo much [...] And most of all I hate Oblivion because nobody else seems to notice anything wrong with it.

No, I agree with you somewhat. I don't hate Oblivion really. After, all it has many things that I like: open world, decently deep character creation a pretty well written story.

BUT.

There is a lot that I really don't care for. For one, I can't believe that they actually thought that it was a good idea to have the enemies level up with you. That completely negates the point of a good RPG: level up, get loot, and go back and kill stuff that used to kill you before; feel like a god. The facial animations are horrible and the voice acting is even worse (with the exception of some notable NPCs) I mean some character change their accent three or four times in a entire conversation. Another thing that I didn't really notice until I got the 360 version (my computer couldn't run it very well) was the fact that all of the environments look pretty generic. I was running around and I starting thinking about how diverse Morrowind was in it's locations but this is crazy. I feel like every ruin I come across is the same damn ruin.

I am really considering taking it back and getting my money back. For the price that I paid for it I could buy three Xbox games (Knights of the Old Republic, Pyschonauts and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance). I don't know though, part of me still kind of likes it so I think I may have to spend a bit more time with it.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »

KOTOR and Psychonauts are both significantly better than Oblivion Roll Eyes

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »

I actually own both of those games, and have owned them for over a year, but haven't played either yet.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »

I am actually really thinking hard about this....

Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Knights of the Old Republic

or

'nauts, BG&E and Metal Gear Solid 2

or Oblivion?

Choices, choices, choices.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

Just sell them all and buy some real games (indie games).  Gentleman

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2008, 12:14:16 AM »

Yeah, but I am already planning on that as well. I want to pick up Eschalon and Aquaria. However, I wanted to get at least a couple of XBox games mostly because I just got a 360 and I don't have anything but Mass Effect for it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2008, 12:19:11 AM »

If you have a 360, there's always Braid, Geometry Wars, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic