Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:15:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWorld's First MMO RPG RTS FPS/TPS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: World's First MMO RPG RTS FPS/TPS  (Read 31390 times)
thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:52:48 AM »

Yup, you heard me and I'm quite sorry if this is the wrong forum for it, but...

Team name:
Currently undecided, but we are working on something good.

Project name:
Exordium

Brief description:
Exordium is the World's First MMO RPG RTS FPS/TPS. Not only that, we are  aiming to make the World's First MMO P2P server structure, requiring very few  servers on the parent company's part to run (we are hoping for little to no  downtime)

Set in the new world of Bre'vaan and based in a medieval period, you will  play as one of the new world's inhabitants as you fight for your creator, or  perhaps against him! As you grow stronger, men see your potential and are  willing to follow you to battle. Wage massive wars against enemy keeps, or  stealth your way through the back door- it now becomes the player's choice!

Although the game is still quite conceptual in almost every aspect, we do have some reasonably shaky foundations that I can explain to you. We are planning on amalgamating the different genre's in a number of different ways. I will list them, with a brief explanation of the purpose and how it might work
- MMO: Pretty simple really. The classic MMO style, where players walk around, converse. We will be focusing on the social aspect of the game. In particular guilds, guild structure and guild raiding.
- RPG: Again, the same sorts of concepts as traditional MMORPGs. Quests, RolePlaying servers, etc
- RTS: Okay, now this part is a little different. In certain situations, players will be given troops (numbers depend on level, reputations with given factions, etc). In others, they will be able to give their party commands through an RTS style interface. For example, in a raid of 40 players, the raid leader would be able to bring up an RTS interface and tell specific groups to attack specific targets (with the classic ctrl+# and # keys selecting multiple friendlys). "Units" are now given the option to obey or disobey, given that they are human players. In other situations where the player is alone (or possibly a small group), they are given men that you have gained the respect of to fight for you.
- FPS/TPS: The combat system is not going to work like a traditional click and cast system. We feel that for the game to require more skill, the player needs to actually DO something to get criticals, dodge etc. The combat system will work quite similarly to a knife round in Couter-Strike. Players can dodge attacks, land critical strikes (using cs analogy- headshots), slow the enemy with certain region shots, etc

You may also ask how we are going to work the P2P structure. This is something that has been thought about in less depth than the amalgamation of genres, but we are thinking of doing a "ring" type of structure, where a player connects and is given the IP address of the last player on the ring, who validates all their data and sends to the server (nobody validates own). Players will also be given IP addresses of players further down the ring, just in case of extreme lag on their validator peer's end, or even a crash.

Target aim:
We are unsure of cost to players at this time. Many of the team members are  interested in the concept and how it develops, rather than money!

Exordium aims to defeat many of the traditional barriers that MMORPG's and  the like have come up against with integration of a whole range of genres.  Due to the very early development stages of the game, we are not able to give  very specific information about how the Exordium will be played.

Compensation:
There will be a constitution drawn out later in development. A basic outline  is that when you submit to the project, you are allocated a certain amount of  points share in the company. This means, the more work you do, the more you  are entitled to!

Technology:
This is for the programming department to decide when we get them after we  have a few concepts and models down and ready to go, although I would expect  Windows 2k+, C++, Ogre, Raknet (i have done very little research into the  network aspect). Everything else is TBA later in development.

Talent needed:
We need anyone we can get. The team is just starting up and are looking for  2D Artists mostly, as well as a few 3D Artists, Department Managers and even  a Co-Project manager! (This is certainly NOT a complete list!)

Team structure:
Thellis (Me): Web Developer / Project Manager
Clownman: Content manager
Draed: Concept Artist / 2D Manager
Default: 3D Modeler
Name: 3D Designer
Miss Melody: Musician / Music Manager
Conundrum: Lore Manager
Memphis: 3D Modeler / 3D Manager

http://www.exordiumonline.com/

Contacts:
Our contact page:
http://www.exordiumonline.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

A link to our forums may be found on our main page, located at the link  above.

Additional Info:
http://wiki.exordiumonline.com/ <- Storyline wiki, WIP
Project is currently (at time of posting) 20 days ahead of schedule. I will  be (trying) to use various collaboration software and project management  tools to organise this project, rather than have a rabble (at the moment, I  have a few Gantt charts)

ENCOURAGING ONLY
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:13:53 PM by BMcC » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:29:17 AM »

"Feedback:
ENCOURAGING ONLY"
 :D

www.gamedev.net Cool

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:38:16 AM »

teehee

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:41:53 AM »

Encouring, you say?

Okay, I'll try...

"This project isn't even slightly doomed to failure!"

How's that?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 06:56:22 AM »

here's 3 concepts for MMOwhatevers straight out of my ass.

-world's first MMO dating-sim/train sim
  set in a medieval era, wage giant battles in trains as you fight for the     attention of one of 3 local cute girls

-world's first MMO dog training game
 wage massive battles againt your dog in a fantasy setting

-world's first MMO text adventure about a depressed social worker
 wage crazy-ass battles against depression in a medieval-fantasy setting as you try to get kids off the street and clean of drugs aswell as seeing your kids more than a weekend a month.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:34:10 AM »

Team name:
Currently undecided, but we are working on something good.

Guys, if you really want to turn this game into a success, then getting your team name right is crucial. Sit in a meeting room for about 12 hours and don't let anyone leave until you sort it out.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:35:58 AM »

Also: make frequent references to masturbation and Earnest Adams. That'll make you cool.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

Never give up! If life turns her back on you, slap her ass! You are strong! Believe in yourself! Seek your inner strenght! Don't eat the pie, it's not good! Try the cake instead! If you believe, anything can be done! Shall you fail, try again until you succeed!
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

I'd like to "encourage" you to reconsider.  Like so many many many others before you, out of respect for your team, let them go before you drag them down.  I don't know if you've heard, but the MMO is the ass of every experienced game developer's jokes.  Some points:

- Big project's don't need web designers, especially not for the first couple years.
- Alias/Handles for team member names don't incite confidence
- MMOs are money pits, and need funding.  If you want to be taken seriously, you need money.
- Compounding features or genres at the design stage doesn't make the game better.  Development, testing, and iteration do.
- Team names are not a democracy.  Acquire funding, and name your team.  And besides, you're team "Exordium".  It's silly given the scope of an MMO to consider another name.

Eargh.  I don't know if there's a blog post or link we throw around yet as a reality check.  I'm gonna go see if I can do it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:36:08 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »

As I have said on other forums, I have actually made a 2D version of this game in yr8 (13yrs old), so I do know what I am talking about in that respect. I understand that it will be quite a feat to get it done, but genres like MMO are merely tites- adding MMO means that we must have it rely on a massive ammount other players to function, basically. Chances are that this part will be implemented in a Diablo type style.

"Feedback:
ENCOURAGING ONLY"
 :D

www.gamedev.net Cool
Yes, I did make this for gamedev.net, but would you really write a new document for every forum you visit?

Big project's don't need web designers, especially not for the first couple years.
I understand that projects don't need web designers, which is why I am not 1. I am a web developer. I mod the forums, wiki, collab and whatever else the project needs to it's specifications. This, I think is an essential way to get a virtual team into action and organised!

Guys, if you really want to turn this game into a success, then getting your team name right is crucial. Sit in a meeting room for about 12 hours and don't let anyone leave until you sort it out.
Yes- thats exactly what we plan to do. Our Senior Management team are all from the same general area in Australia, so we are meeting togeather at a central location quite soon.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

Shocked

Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

This has to be a joke...
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »

If it was a joke, the content should be funny.  I don't see Ninjas and Pirates anywhere.  Sad

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:23:42 PM »

Honestly guys, I think he'd learn a lot more from failing then us telling him he'd fail, so why don't we stop talking down to him?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 06:30:58 PM »

nice to see so much overwhelming support Sad. oh well, ive gotten it from several other places. i would really appreciate constructive criticism though. if it's not something silly like reconsider- you are doomed, more than likely it's welcome. basically, i will not reconsider. if you are going to post something like that, i will ignore it.

i will, however take constructive criticism and build on it. that type is welcomed with open arms- i like to hear what i can do better, as it consolidates our position and makes it far, FAR easier to complete the project.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »

Well, gee, I believe you can do it! Wink
Sorry I don't have any constructive critisazm, but I can offer genuine encouragement.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »

So, like... this isn't a joke?  Huh?

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »

nice to see so much overwhelming support Sad. oh well, ive gotten it from several other places. i would really appreciate constructive criticism though. if it's not something silly like reconsider- you are doomed, more than likely it's welcome. basically, i will not reconsider. if you are going to post something like that, i will ignore it.

Hey look, best of luck. Hopefully, you will be able to learn some lessons along the way.

Do understand tho that you're not receiving the kind of feedback you were hoping for because I think most of us here have all found ourselves crushed and destroyed under the weight of our own monster ideas, never to see the light of day again.

thellis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »

i agree that it will be difficult, but if you can look at my point of view here-
If you have tried doing this yourself, you will no doubt be aware of how good it is to have people giving encouragement and how bad it feels to be trying your hardest to get this thing off the ground, only to have people spit in your face so to speak.

Would your ideas have gotten somewhere if people were open about it and helped?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:47 PM »

Do understand tho that you're not receiving the kind of feedback you were hoping for because I think most of us here have all found ourselves crushed and destroyed under the weight of our own monster ideas, never to see the light of day again.

Speak for yourself, lowpoly!  Smiley

I think you're not receiving the kind of feedback you were hoping for 'cause most of the folks here have experience.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic