Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:45:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7307071 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22980 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:40 AM »

damnit your name changed yet again or did I miss it last time and its been this way for ages?
fix them even if you have no clue
you dont learn by having someone fix it for you
this is a good point either way - make sure if people give you edits you look over them carefully and try to apply their criticism either to your own piece or to future work, but also try your darnedest to fix things you see wrong with it before uploading.

@Carrion it's more consistent. I dont really like the random holes in the vines and whatnot up top, no idea what you're trying to convey other than "this is unfinished".

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22981 on: May 28, 2013, 03:56:09 AM »

People will tell me the shading is bad or maybe she's out of proportion - Might say her hair looks like it's just 'stuck' on her head or her actual head is too big/small or not shaped right.
super cool and rad artist tip: stop
just fix those things
fix them even if you have no clue
you dont learn by having someone fix it for you

That's all well and good but I was merely assuming what people 'might' pick on - As far as it goes from my perspective, as a noob in practice, it looked ok to my untrained eye, at least if you factor in it was drawn by a noob. I am not and would not 'expect' people to edit my drawings for me, I simply supplied the means to do so seeing as some here in the Forums 'DO' actually help by giving a visual representation of their criticism. And I'm very grateful to the people who did, thank you for giving me some more ideas to put into practice.

The shading is indeed low and regarding the lack of contrast the background was intended to be black, not the grey (Which kinda merges with the characters top) but I found the grey helped smoothed out her edges a bit seeing as the arms especially looked jagged on a raw black background - On the full black she obviously looks slightly brighter but thats no excuse for my poor work.

Either way I appreciate the input - It's been a pretty slow learning process so far - I've only looked at one very very brief and simplistic YouTube Tutorial so I'm practically just diving in head first on my own for the most part.

I'll stop posting now until I make something better, thanks all.

EDIT:
For the record the game I intend to make will be a pretty dimly lit horror of some description so I tried to refrain from the overly bright - But on the flipside I suppose it'd be better to make a brighter image first THEN downplay the colours afterwards rather than just draw using murky dark colours from scratch.

I saved both people's edits to my computer so I can stick them next to the original for reference - Again, thank you for the ideas!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:20:33 AM by RopeDrink » Logged
RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22982 on: May 28, 2013, 04:10:08 AM »

Another question, is it better to check for ideas/critique in this thread, or the workshop? I've literally only viewed the Art Forum so far.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22983 on: May 28, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »

For the record the game I intend to make will be a pretty dimly lit horror of some description so I tried to refrain from the overly bright - But on the flipside I suppose it'd be better to make a brighter image first THEN downplay the colours afterwards rather than just draw using murky dark colours from scratch.
If you want dimly lit, do it in engine if possible, or as a post processing step on your art. Murky colours are ok, but a lack of contrast, consistent lighting and rendering plus murky colours... every possible issue is compounded.

The workshop is for if you want really serious whippings and like 5 people to read your thread, but you'll get p good feedback there if you show commitment.

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22984 on: May 28, 2013, 04:22:15 AM »

Thank's Geti - I guess I'll keep it light for now and just creep into this thread once in a while if I have something I get stuck on. I don't want to get critique too heavy handed because as said, I just dived headfirst into trying this out, I wouldn't know half the terminology or slang (I don't even know what Banding is, for example) and it'd be wasted on me as I'm just experimenting with no real set plans yet.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22985 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »

No worries, progress dumps in "what are you working on" or "today i created" or "mockups aka <etc>" can help get your stuff in front of different pairs of eyes as well. Do some pixel studies (and general art studies) and make sure people are looking at your art so they can spank you when it sucks. http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=4912.0 is a really good collection of threads about pixel art as well.

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22986 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:04 AM »

Great, much appreciated Smiley
I'll give them a scan over a cup of tea later - Now I'll keep quiet so we can go back to appreciating some proper art instead the lamentations of a newcomer  Durr...?
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22987 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:37 AM »

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22988 on: May 28, 2013, 05:46:26 AM »

i made this for my game but i dunno if i'm gonna use it. It doesnt really feel like it fits the style.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22989 on: May 28, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22990 on: May 28, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »

harry your art is super sick.

Rope, if you want dimly lit, you should constrain your palette, not lower your contrast. There's an artist you may have heard of who did dimly lit all the time, note how high the contrast is.

Blambo
« Reply #22991 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

I died.

This is pretty cool, especially the color noise on the sun.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22992 on: May 28, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »

I died.

what is pixel art and what is not pixel art.  Noir

I made this with the pencil tool using a transparent color.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22993 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »

I died.

i wish i could pay you to make art for this game

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27174.0

youre wonderful

Ashkin
« Reply #22994 on: May 28, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »

Cellusious: Carrion's is pixel art with filters applied
Yours is not pixel art at all, apart from the low resolution
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22995 on: May 28, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

its all pixel art, weirdos. HUG IT OUT.

devi ever
« Reply #22996 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »

its all pixel art, weirdos. HUG IT OUT.

Fo' serious.  Moar pixel love.  Less pixel bickering.  Hand Any KeyWizardHand Joystick
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #22997 on: May 28, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »

like on a serious note

pixel art purists or whatever the hell you call yourselves are stupid and awful and rules got no place in art just frick right off to heck
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22998 on: May 28, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »

kinda dum having a separate thread for it then isn't it

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #22999 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »