Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:53:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed good idea for small game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need good idea for small game  (Read 5667 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

Hi folks,
I'm trying to find out good idea for a small game, which i would be able do finish alone. So many failed projects cause other ppl left me and I wasn't able to finish them ( too big for me ). I can do some average graphics, same with code. I have maaany ideas for big projects, but I need some idea for small and fun game. Can you help me? Sad

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »

Watch these, it might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhIvHQ_Wp0

Alternatively, go to the TIGsource frontpage, scroll to the bottom, and read the wise words of the roboto.
Or just make a game where you dodge carts at the grocery store.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »

I can't give you any idea's, because i think ideas are personal. You put effort in the ideas you believe in... Well you get the picture...

What i can give you is this:
- It's not bad to make small games, at all. Maybe even to create a portfolio and draw people to you that do have enough enthousiasm to make bigger projects together with you.

- It sounds a bit like your asking for a super game with no effort. I can tell you now that it doesn't exist. To make an interesting game you need to put time in it.

- Look at some other small games for insperation, but also further then that. Read a book and think about what small game you wanna make. Watch a movie and forget the movie because you where only wandering what small game you wanna make.
Draw it.
Write about it.
And Make it.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »

combine two well-known arcade classics

tron game + missile command

instead of shooting missiles to destroy the incoming attacks, your turrets are placed along the sides of the screen and the idea is to create walls of shield that the attacks have to pass through. if you a shield you are creating is hit by an attack before it reaches the other side, it is destroyed completely. (not much tron in this, but its still there)

or

tron, but you can click on the screen to shoot a missile that blasts a hole in the enemy's light trail. would add a new layer of tactics to an already interesting game. limited missiles etc.

these were two completely random games i picked, i'm sure there are combinations that have better synergy than this.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »

I got one idea and I'm starting working on it with Game Maker instead of c++ + sfml.

Thanks for all help.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »

think of what feels good personally in games that you've played, little things you've enjoyed, and see if there are any similarities or themes and stuff there, then form a small mechanic which would demonstrate some or all of those things that feel good to you.  

An example might be.. I think in Sonic 1 & 2 the sound and kinetic energy of spin jumping and bouncing off a box of rings is great, it might be an illusion but it feels even more rewarding when landing on the box from a great height and near dead-center.

So from that thought, a small game prototype about a circle controlled by the player which drops and hits boxes to break them + bounce upward, releasing coins that are absorbed when near the circle.   The more perfectly centered on the box when hitting, the greater the rebound and the more coins are released... chaining consecutive boxes would be the challenge, maybe the boxes are slowly scrolling down the screen and your goal is to not fall off the bottom of the screen.

Not saying it will be ground breaking, but the main point is that in that example, the feeling I'm going for is something I enjoy or feel that I'm acutely aware of, something I found fun or enjoyable in the original games I pulled from, so I'm able to tune the game to match that for myself on a different level to just making a clone of Arkanoid or Asteroids, and then the result is a small prototype which demonstrates or expresses whatever that feeling/thing is in a highly concentrated way.

I'm not sure if that was a good explanation.. but pull from the little details you personally notice that arguably might not be noticed by others, even better when those little details are things you can relate to many games you like and get enjoyment from them.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

All games require effort, even small games.

I think when creating a smaller game, you should make something you're comfortable making; If you're comfortable with say, platformers, make a small platformer. It doesn't have to be large, just 3 or 4 levels -- but put effort into it.

That's what is so neat about small games, the little things stand out more because the player spends less time playing it. This can either make or break the game, IMO.

HyperNexus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »

Consider applying creative constraints when coming up with ideas. If you have too much choice then you will be paralysed by it. For example, how about you try and make a one button game.

I can't give you any idea's, because i think ideas are personal. You put effort in the ideas you believe in... Well you get the picture...
Completely agree. Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic