Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411713 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 11:12:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI'm a Mac Guy now
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: I'm a Mac Guy now  (Read 15220 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2009, 04:59:56 AM »

I get no end of hassles from my programming team for being a mac user. I don't care. I like the way I can view any image or document instantly by pressing the space bar.
Yes! And reliable thumbnails for PSDs! The space bar thing is amazing, it makes it sooo fast for checking to see what the hell the contents of a file actually is, be it an MP3, DOC, PSD, TXT, whatever.

And about a million other cool things, like the scarily fast search.
I love the search too! It does encourage sloppy habits though, when you cease to care where certain files are located.

twitter: @docky
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »

Sad but true: I haven't really used my Mac since I got it. Embarrassed

increpare
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »

Sad but true: I haven't really used my Mac since I got it. Embarrassed
how about that port you've been coyly promising us osx users, eh?

(okay, I should probably admit I've been booting into osx almost exclusively recently, not because I prefer it, but because I tend to encounter a lot more problems when building for windows, and it's better to deal with them as they come along rather than have to deal with them all at once when I try port something over.  sad indeed :/  )
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »

I didn't really know how much I loved my Mac til I got a used IBM laptop to try to do something in AGS. I had forgotten what crashes were like.

I do wish someone would make something as well-designed and intuitive as Pixen that actually worked. It's the most comfortable interface I've used.

For those of us that want to make 2D games and hate coding, what's best for Mac? I'm eyeing Torque (cross-platform is a plus) but I haven't heard much on either side about it. That Game Maker port is taking its sweet time coming out. I'm excited about Stencyl but it's not released yet either. I have a pre-Intel Mac (2, actually) so using Boot Camp is out and both Q and VirtualPC run far too slowly to really make anything. I have something I've wanted to make for a while now and it's just not happening.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:17 AM »

My current main gripe with OS X is that there is no efficient sketching app for it. I'm an OpenCanvas user and in my opinion, no other app can compare with it for pure, streamlined efficiency and feature set.

I guess Photoshop CS4 can now be used as a replacement, since it finally has realtime canvas rotation, but I loathe the new tabs so I am very reluctant to pay for it. The tabs might be great for Windows users, but in OS X you have the expose feature which kicks everything else in the ass, to adding tabs to Photoshop is actually a step back in usability for a Mac user.

(Oh, and Painter is much too complicated and slow for me to use.)

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »

I didn't really know how much I loved my Mac til I got a used IBM laptop to try to do something in AGS. I had forgotten what crashes were like. ...

It's weird, though.  All the programs I've really wanted to use have crashed or freaked out on me at least once.  Lost some work this way the first day I was using it.  It was pretty discouraging.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »

Oh, I get program crashes now and again. I've just never had my Mac go "click" and randomly reboot. Or freeze. Or decide that it doesn't like displaying anything on the screen anymore.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »

I find Mac applications tend to be more stable than their PC equivalents, but obviously it depends on the developer and such.

It isn't like Macs are automagically segfault proof.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:35 AM »

My biggest gripe with the mac is that 3D Studio MAX isn't available for it. I've considered getting into Maya, but I wish I didn't have to make that decision.  I really enjoy being within OSX. Like Anthony, I love being able to tap the spacebar and preview any document, image, audio or movie.  PSD thumbnails are almost worth switching if you use PSDs all the time.

I guess Photoshop CS4 can now be used as a replacement, since it finally has realtime canvas rotation, but I loathe the new tabs so I am very reluctant to pay for it. The tabs might be great for Windows users, but in OS X you have the expose feature which kicks everything else in the ass, to adding tabs to Photoshop is actually a step back in usability for a Mac user.
Isn't there a means of disabling the tabs behaviour in Photoshop CS4?
You could also consider the latest version of Photoshop Elements, which has a trimmed down interface and is much cheaper, or you could try to pick up CS3 which can be found much more cheaply now.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »

Actually, what is the difference in feature set between photoshop elements and full-on photoshop?

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 05:30:05 AM »

Actually, what is the difference in feature set between photoshop elements and full-on photoshop?
The one which will probably effect you directly is the lack of channels. You can't mess with the alpha channel directly, and that will be a pain for Unity authoring. This is something I've wanted to ask them to offer a workaround for (such as a uniquely named layer called UnityAlpha).

It also lacks layer groups, which can be a pain for massively layered documents, or working with files that someone has stuck into groups. It doesn't have CMYK control either, and some of the filters and such are missing.

Other than that, and some changes in the GUI layout, it's pretty much the same. I was astonished with how similar it is and once you get used to it you can really work well with it. I've done a few major pieces with it and I highly recommend it.

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »

sweet now you can be in the club of people who own laptops that will still work 5 years from now. also... UNIX COMMANDS on a machine that can run Photoshop.

I know I know, there is the GIMP, but for some reason, the GIMP always feel kind of "sticky" to me.  I have no idea why, also I have not used it for about 2 years... so maybe it has improved.

Using a mac has made me take a ton of things for granted on a computer... then I switch to my windows box and go "OH SHI.!  HOW THE HELL DO I INSTALL A FONT!?!? WTF THERE IS A SPECIAL FONT FOLDER AND IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM A NORMAL FOLDER! WTF  A little piece of Donald Norman dies every-time I think about Windows UI design."  I find that I am much less disappointed with my windows machine if I think of it as an Xbox,

Addium, Cyberduck, Mac Mail, Safari <-- really they are very excellent and pretty, there is no reason to go FireFox/Thunderbird... unless you are just a diehard open source fan... in which case what are you doing with a Mac, get a ThinkPad and install Linux.

For drawing and sketching programs on my Mac, I like to  close my notebook and let it rest on my lap like a table, then I put a piece of paper on it and draw on top of the paper... it works out pretty well  and it has a really authentic pencil and ink tool.  When you are done with the paper you can save it on your hard drive my scanning it in as a 1200 dpi bitmap.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:45 AM »

The mac is quite fun to develop on. I made this tool for designing nice smooth gradients which some of you may like. It's still very buggy but it seems to work.

Download it here. (OSX 10.5 only)

(Before anyone asks it is actually very hard to make nice gentle gradients in photoshop unless you make a linear progression between two colours)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

The thing that bugs me most about OSX is the mouse acceleration.  Seriously, it's carpal tunnel-inducing and I shouldn't have to buy a $20 app to fix it! Cry

Other than that, Macs are great!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »

The thing that bugs me most about OSX is the mouse acceleration.  Seriously, it's carpal tunnel-inducing and I shouldn't have to buy a $20 app to fix it! Cry

Other than that, Macs are great!
I know how you feel, that was pretty horrible for me at first.
More weirdly, third party mice seem to work just fine. I'm using a logitech mouse now and it works just like it does on PC.

Oh yeah, as for $20 apps, the mac seems to have a culture of charging for applications which would probably be freeware on PC. It's a strange world.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

Well, the inverse is also true.  There are some programs that are free on macs, while windows equivalents cost a bit. For upsteam.tv (the site that broadcasted the Tigjam) if you want to broadcast what is on your computer screen, then you have to get an application.  For mac, you can get the free camtwist, but for windows you need to buy something to do it.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »

Just got a Mac a couple of days now, and because I still want to keep playing those game maker games that keep coming out once in a while, I'm still deciding on how to do it. VM Fusion, Parallels or simply Boot Camp.
Got any suggestions or dissuasions?

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »

Just got a Mac a couple of days now, and because I still want to keep playing those game maker games that keep coming out once in a while, I'm still deciding on how to do it. VM Fusion, Parallels or simply Boot Camp.
Got any suggestions or dissuasions?

Game Maker games should be fine in a virtualized environment.  Anything more serious--heavy 3D, etc--will require Boot Camp to run Windows in a bare setup.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

I am a mac guy now too!

Just got it yesterday and it was at first really confusing, but I am getting used to it already.
So far I really like it. Smiley
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »

I'm loving my mac too, though there is one thing that bugs me:
What is the point of minimizing programs/open files, there is no keyboard support for it, and functionally its basicly the same as CMD+W, it just seems to be obsolete.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic