Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411698 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58454 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 19, 2024, 07:47:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Workcoder/musician offering help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: coder/musician offering help  (Read 1397 times)
eefano
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »

hello

I'm willing to join any game project team
just to avoid getting rusty with coding
(C, C++, Python)

I'm also a mediocre musician, so i can
help with the soundtrack also.

I can dedicate you up to 15-20 hrs per week.

However the project has to meet some requirements:
- Clear vision of the objective
- NO FLASH Games
- It MUST be a GAME (not an engine/library)
- It WILL be multiplatform (at least Win-Linux-OSX)
- I WILL Release the source code to the public
- I WILL Develop in a Linux Environment
  (I can build Windows binaries if you wish)

Let me know.
byebye

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

Where all do your gaming interests lay?

There's a few things I'd like to work towards. So far I'm dev'ing them in GM, but that's only because I suck at real programming. XD

One's in my siggy, and another's right here. And I was thinking about simply doing one of the subgames of that one for the AGBIC contest, if it can get cranked out in time.

eefano
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »

I don't think to fully understand your question about gaming interests...
I mean, I'm not an hardcore gamer but I like the multidisciplinar
challenges that game developement offers.

I see you're already familiar with GM, and unless you hit a big
feature wall, i'd suggest you to stick on it.

Working with a coder means you have to interact with a different
set of tools: they're often built from scratch and 
strictly customized to the particular needs of the project.

Anyway I find your ideas interesting, let me know if you
need my help!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »

By that, I was mostly wondering what kinds of games you enjoy, and really get into playing (and/or developing). What games do you play most? Are there any titles here that you've found yourself endeared to, yet? (I'm up to about 2 dozen of those, and counting!)

A lot of this, as well as the reason for it being "experimental," is because I'm sorta foraying into new development territory with these, in regards to the other elements (platforming, adventure, racing, shmup, and roguelike-dev). Previous to these projects, most of my devving experience has been along the lines of fighting/musical games (hence their clear inclusion in iMAGE Zero, but being less focused on in my DevLog than other elements, I'm pretty sure I can get those parts right). Therefore, I'm used to most games and sprites simply being based on colliding with one-another, often in fixed-range territory and/or with projectiles. Jump physics and attack ranges in fighting games are a terrific example of this.

Practically everything else I'm working on now, I'm still pretty new to; and still learning a lot of little tricks and workarounds. I *think* I know what I'm doing, but I'm not totally sold that I do. And other projects I've done devwork with, I'm usually just coding/troubleshooting sequences like animations, hit reactions, damage rates, things like that. This is the first time I've built an engine from scratch (and that's some intimidating shit!), and maybe my third foray into actual programming; if you count GM as that, which is a "maybe." I AM still using a lot of the drag-and-drop interface for instance, and inserting code/scripts where that doesn't suffice. Also, I really hope I'm scripting right! >.>'

It's a great tool for learning more programming logic, and more about the physics and elements of different games and how they all work, but ultimately it WILL be eclipsed by the time this project's direction is finished.

Clear vision of the project/scope is now on the "Player" thread.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:38:42 PM by baconman » Logged

eefano
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:15 AM »

My favourite games to play are point-and-click adventures, exploring-based games, mame arcades, some single-player fps and anything that's original/unexpected/atmospheric. I'm not very into sports&cars, multiplayer mmorpg/fps.

my best titles of all time are:

- Another world (aka out of this world)
- Ultima 7 (both parts)
- Doom (1993)
- Indy & The fate of Atlantis
- Ghouls & Ghosts
- Pang!

There are A LOT of games out there that I haven't still played / I don't remember. So don't take the list as the holy scripture.

Some years ago i was team-developing an adventure game and a sidescroller shootemup, but never completed.

By myself I've done some unfinished prototypes/tech-demos (without any particular objective): duke3D style engine, outdoor voxel engine, gish-like blob simulation, C64-like sound synthesis engine, silly-isometric-doom rendering, old school demo effects...

Having a game project to follow can be an opportunity to get something done.
eefano
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »

ok nevermind,
screw this place.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic