Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:33:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkSeeking 3D artist/animator or 2d animator artist for fighting game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking 3D artist/animator or 2d animator artist for fighting game.  (Read 1350 times)
kenesque
Level 1

mover of pixels

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Myself and a programmer are seeking a 3D artist or a skilled 2d animator for a fighting game.

The game itself:
Developed on XNA (may be ported to Xbox 360 after completion)
1v1
Extremely frantic, fast paced action
(Relevant youtube links to describe speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvD26Vbgov0
)
Strictly 2D gameplay.
Extremely diverse roster, similar to Guilty Gear that promote various playstyles, but still keep the game offensively minded.
Tournament play is kept in mind, with a few accessibility tweaks made to keep the game more playable for newcomers. The game would ideally not be as alienating to newer players as the games listed above, but still keep their play style and general depth in mind.
Eight characters is our goal for now.

What's required of you:
If 3D: Make models for each of the main characters, then animate them. You will not need to animate the game at 60FPS, instead do strictly the important frames. Use consistent lighting and camera and then hand them over to myself. I will then clean up the art into actual sprites.
2D animator: Create the character animations and basic shading (only linework is required) at a 2d level, I will then translate them into sprites.

The animation does NOT need to be extremely high quality, simply animating the game so it looks consistent and conveys necessary information is all that's needed. If you look at  Marvel vs Capacom 2 and Hokuto No Ken, that is what we are aiming for in terms of quality: It makes sense but is not incredibly beautiful or fluent.

We also are giving primary artistic direction to you. The two of us are doing to be doing 90% of the design and tuning, what we expect out of you is putting creative and interesting character designs that flow well with gameplay archetypes. We want you to have as much fun as we are making the game, and we figure having too much control over the art would be incredibly frustrating for the lead artist, so we're offering you control. HOWEVER please keep marketing in mind, we don't want ridiculously niche or alienating characters/art. No furry or loli garbage. Strong, adult human characters with a lot of variety in personality/body shape/color etc are ideal.  

About the current 2 members:
Both of us are tournament level fighting game players, we understand games at a pretty high level, I have placed top 8 in numerous tournaments and have experience with BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike and Street fighter 4. The programmer has heavy experience in Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Street Fighter 4. We know a large pool of excellent players to help ease the games design and balance.

My experience:
I've made 2 really crappy indie games no one in their right mind would want to play. I can send you the graphics/builds for them and a small portfolio of other pixel work.

Programmer experience:
Made SF4 Remix (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h44Yo5bx8Po
Competent in XNA

Other information:
This game doesn't need anything right away, if you are busy for a little while, it's okay. I'm currently occupied for another week or so, and we are still developing the engine and it is still very very very very early in development. Once the engine is nearing a level of playability we'll be using it as a showpiece and you're welcome to join us then in case of skepticism. We're making this thread early to find ideally have the most amount of time to find the best candidate for the game.

If this interests you, PM me or post in this thread.

Also miscellaneous positions such as sound, voice actors, backgorund artists are also needed but currently less important at the time.

If you have any questions, concerns or would simply like to talk things over, please get in contact with me. We are open to discussion and offers.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:25:24 PM by kenesque » Logged
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »

I think a big thing about this would be the closer aspects of the graphics. I'm sure artists would be very interested in the following:

- What resolution are you shooting for? Half Xbox resolution, then upscaled (which would sound more realistic to me than full-on hi def)?

- How large are you planning the fighters to be? For 3D, this is a non-issue, but for 2D work, it definitely counts.

- What kind of moveset were you planning for your fighters? How many basic attacks, navigation moves, how many specials etc. Do you have a particle system on board which would take away some of the pressure of animating things like flames or sparks?

- You explicitly mention only character art. Are the GUI and the backgrounds done yet?

And one more thing, which is less of a question but more of a suggestion (I'm speaking as a newb here): I'm sure you are aware just how much work a decent 2D fighting sprite is. It's certainly one of the bigger challenges, and time investments, that 2D graphics have to offer.
So maybe you could go for a not too extremely dead serious approach and outsource each character (or more than one) to different artists, which would then appear in different styles?
That would invite a lot of creativity, I'm sure.

(← new art twitter)
kenesque
Level 1

mover of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »

I think a big thing about this would be the closer aspects of the graphics. I'm sure artists would be very interested in the following:

- What resolution are you shooting for? Half Xbox resolution, then upscaled (which would sound more realistic to me than full-on hi def)?

- How large are you planning the fighters to be? For 3D, this is a non-issue, but for 2D work, it definitely counts.

- What kind of moveset were you planning for your fighters? How many basic attacks, navigation moves, how many specials etc. Do you have a particle system on board which would take away some of the pressure of animating things like flames or sparks?

- You explicitly mention only character art. Are the GUI and the backgrounds done yet?

And one more thing, which is less of a question but more of a suggestion (I'm speaking as a newb here): I'm sure you are aware just how much work a decent 2D fighting sprite is. It's certainly one of the bigger challenges, and time investments, that 2D graphics have to offer.
So maybe you could go for a not too extremely dead serious approach and outsource each character (or more than one) to different artists, which would then appear in different styles?
That would invite a lot of creativity, I'm sure.
-Resolution: Upscaled, so the "screen" would technically be 640 x 360.
-The characters would roughly end up being, on average, around 100-150 pixels tall, give or take.
-Each character would have six basic attacks, this includes crouching, aerial and standing, with occasional direction + standard. A few special moves (anywhere between 2-7). The subsystems are not entirely decided upon, so things like special animations for off the ground rolling etc aren't subject to anything. Any normal animation (blocking, hitreel, knockdown, win poses) etc are included within this as well. Each character would have, from estimates, around 400 frames of animation per character.
-Character art is the absolute, most time consuming process, stuff like getting UI, backgrounds, music etc is important as well but it is of lower priority at the moment.
-Yes I'm aware of the amount of work involved. Ideally more people involved (animator -> rough -> clean) would be involved. This project isn't something I'm expecting to finish quickly and I'm willing to put a lot of time into it. I'd rather the quality end up consistent as well.

I have tentatively found an animator though, so anyone who could ease the process of linework -> sprite (or do cleanup after I convert linework into rough pixelwork), that would be great.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic