Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 03:22:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralManic Miner vs. Rick Dangerous
Poll
Question: Which is harder (and less forgiving)?
Rick Dangerous - 13 (48.1%)
Manic Miner - 14 (51.9%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Manic Miner vs. Rick Dangerous  (Read 27150 times)
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »

Bruce Lee was a great little game. The way that collecting the lanterns would alter your environment was something I'm surprised that more platformers didn't pick up on. Also it's the only game I can remember seeing that had conveyor belt ladders.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Oddbob
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 06:33:38 PM »

There was Sir Lancelot too which had conveyor ladders, but it also didn't have a jump mechanism, so I'm not sure if it counts.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »

Haha, Arne, that drawing represents the furthest extent of my abilities in Manic Miner.  Smiley

I'm so glad you joined the forum.  The Game Design Preferences thread is the best thing since things.  (Argh, I've got to post it in already!)

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 04:15:40 AM »

I kinda miss single-screen platform games with lots of unique contraptions, elevators, platforms, levers, ropes, trampolines, whatever. DK jr stuff. Maybe

(I saw it for the first time on youtube the other day, huuge game). There was another one called

. Bruce Lee had awesome fights and characters, but I'm not sure what to think of the platform action.

Hard Hat Mack!  You ever play this one?  I haven't thought about it in years.  I remember having a hard time with it as a kid.  I wonder how I'd fare these days... the best part was playing games like these with no instruction manuals, wondering what you were supposed to be doing and what the hell everything was.  You had to use your imagination! Shocked
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:17:38 AM by Derek » Logged
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 04:16:16 AM »

Hmm, does Big Mac The Mad Maintenance man have conveyor ladders? I know it has a lot of nice platform staples in there as well as a few more unusual bits...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 06:28:33 AM »

LOL, Derek. You're screenshot reminds me, that I once had a plan to do a real-time raytraced demo using only the CGA colors xD.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »

I used to love Bruce Lee. My dad had it for his Atari. Also, I was a big fan of Henry's House. Kept me amused for hours!

olücæbelel
Oddbob
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »

Hmm, does Big Mac The Mad Maintenance man have conveyor ladders? I know it has a lot of nice platform staples in there as well as a few more unusual bits...

Now you've just reminded me about Mr Puniverse again.

*looks at half finished WIP from about 3 years ago and cries*
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »

Now you've just reminded me about Mr Puniverse again.

*looks at half finished WIP from about 3 years ago and cries*

Never played that, though Universal Hero was ace - in a shit way. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Oddbob
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 12:57:06 PM »

Sequel to Big Mac, innit Wink

S'good - but not as fiendish or tricky as Big Mac as you've got the payoff from having a larger map area. As it all sat in the 16k region, obviously, something had to give to buy the space.

Still a nice little game though that on one hand builds on Big Mac and on the other takes it back away again.

I'd love to see someone have a blast at Dark Tower at some point - that was a right tricky sod of a game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:33:32 PM by Oddbob » Logged
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »

I'd love to see someone have a blast at Dark Tower at some point - that was a right tricky sod of a game.
Umm, that link doesn't work Sad.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Oddbob
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »

Fixed I hope, blinking anti hotlinking stuff :D
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »

S'good - but not as fiendish or tricky as Big Mac as you've got the payoff from having a larger map area. As it all sat in the 16k region, obviously, something had to give to buy the space.

Still a nice little game though that on one hand builds on Big Mac and on the other takes it back away again.

Gah! Tell me you've not only played the 16K version of Big Mac!? The C64 one is waaaay nicer!

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 12:20:36 AM »

I found this on 2chan I think. No clue what game it is.

Also, my own Platform idea page, in need of some polish, grammar, yadda yadda. I never finished (duuh).
Prospero
Level 0

Mostly Harmless

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 04:42:09 AM »

I spent quite a bit of time on Tower of Terror for the C64. Some of the later levels were fairly fiendish Huh?

Prospero - Mostly harmless dodgy geezer
Completed games: Poing! PC
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 04:51:06 AM »

I found this on 2chan I think. No clue what game it is.

Also, my own Platform idea page, in need of some polish, grammar, yadda yadda. I never finished (duuh).

Ooh! Looks ace whatever it is. Reminds me of Super Bagman.

And love the look of the platform stuff on your page. You need to make more games, man. Your ideas very much tie in with my own sensibilities. I was thinking about making a game called Gleehoarder which I'd frequently bore Madgarden with the details of, but it had a similar structure with single-screen gameplay (for the most part) contained within a larger map of a haunted/robot-filled/alien-infested mansion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 05:53:01 AM by DrDerekDoctors » Logged

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 05:54:23 AM »

I spent quite a bit of time on Tower of Terror for the C64. Some of the later levels were fairly fiendish Huh?

Ooh, that does look nice. Why is it that platformers have to be huge these days, eh? No-one makes really compact games on commercial platforms any more. In fact the closest things are the 3D Mario games with their arenas.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 06:14:28 AM »

Well, you know that my one has very little levels.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 06:19:40 AM »

Well, you know that my one has very little levels.

Trufax! And hurrah! Smiley

But yours ain't available yet. Sad

Oddbob
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 07:07:17 AM »

Gah! Tell me you've not only played the 16K version of Big Mac!? The C64 one is waaaay nicer!

Man, I didn't even know there was a 64 version up until now.

Well, that gives me something to play with later!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic