Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 12:50:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralManic Miner vs. Rick Dangerous
Poll
Question: Which is harder (and less forgiving)?
Rick Dangerous - 13 (48.1%)
Manic Miner - 14 (51.9%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Manic Miner vs. Rick Dangerous  (Read 27148 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »

I found this on 2chan I think. No clue what game it is.

Also, my own Platform idea page, in need of some polish, grammar, yadda yadda. I never finished (duuh).

Damn, I have totally seen that game somewhere.  I think I saw a video of it in action.  Japanese platform game?

Also, your platformer page rocks!  I wouldn't mind reading an entire magazine that had game designs like that in it. Kiss
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »

I think I've played that game. It's a Namco game, IIRC.

I still love all of your concepts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:19:53 PM by ravuya » Logged

caffeinekid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »

That image looks like Spelunker or Spelunker 2? They are in MAME - dunno about home versions.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »

That image looks like Spelunker or Spelunker 2? They are in MAME - dunno about home versions.

That is totally the game (Spelunker 1, I think)!

And here's the video I was talking about!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »

Someone please make Arne's game a reality... seriously, I keep looking at it and it's killing me not to be able to play it.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »

And here's the video I was talking about!

Annnndd now that blasted song's stuck in my head.   Angry

But at least I've gained all the treasures at last !

Someone please make Arne's game a reality... seriously, I keep looking at it and it's killing me not to be able to play it.

Ah, I just noticed that this morning.  Arne's concepts are all so wonderful.  Imagining them honestly gives me the same kinds of feelings as I had when I was first getting in to videogames...

So, er... I'm down.  With Niklas' blessing, of course.   Wink

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »

Aha, Spelunker! I love that mining wagon (and cauldron) ride, and the temple!

Go ahead if you feel you have the time, BMcC Smiley I'm too lazy to code.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:04:57 PM by Arne » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 10:19:44 PM »

EXCITEMENT!!! Grin

Maybe this could become an official game of the forum, with others contributing!  Could you be bothered to do all (most of?) the sprites, though, Arne?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:21:50 PM by Derek » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »

Awesome!  Thank you.  Smiley  I just might...

Maybe this could become an official game of the forum, with others contributing!  Could you be bothered to do all (most of?) the sprites, though, Arne?

Heh, I was thinking along those lines myself when I asked actually, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

I've been looking for a little project to get back into the swing of making games again.  This could be perfect.  And it could kill two birds with one stone if it were developed here on the forum or something.  That could become a real cool resource for folks wondering how games get pieced together.

But, yeah, would you be able to do the art?  And/or concept art?  I'd be willing to take on the full development weight if you could!  Leaving you free to come up with all kinds of exciting ideas.   Wink

Think about it, man!   Grin

::crosses fingers::
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:47:44 AM by BMcC » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »

Also, I wouldn't mind helping with pixel art if need be.  Maybe animating?  But the game should look as close to those concepts as possible!  Some concept artwork by Arne would be awesome as well!  Maybe an old-school game manual to go with it? Smiley
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »

Aah, this could be too awesome!  Must not get my hopes up... Must not get my hopes up...

I agree, the game should make the concepts come alive.  Which should be no problem.  Even though it says at the top of the page that games can be free from tile graphics nowadays, the concept's tile based.  (I'd MUCH prefer for it to be tile based, by the way, for the sake of the gameplay and development.)  The only problem I see at this point is the strange resolution...

But this isn't even a real project yet, so I should probably stop rambling!  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:00:38 PM by BMcC » Logged

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 11:53:27 PM »

I triple agree with B-Mc-C.   

And I have to admit, That would be a pretty sweet AWSOMEness to infinity game.  I'd buy it.  Arne could be the next Miyamoto.  or even the next Arne!  He could be the director.  Shocked

Maybe Arne'll have sympathy for our o-so-innocent-gaming-goodness-from-a-genius needs. Cry
**winkie** **wink**

please! it's for the kiddies. Kiss
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »

Yeah, I might be able to do the Graphics. They're fairly simple and easy to do. I could do some concepts for puzzle mechanics in the games, such as levers, moving platforms and all that, but I'm not particulary keen on doing the level design and finetuning, stuff like that probably needs to be figured out before I draw the graphics. Maybe we could do an editor for the levels adn community develop that, then pick the best ones for inclusion inthe main story/map.

It is tilebased as in collisions and alignments (this makes it easier for the player to estimate things and collapse the information so it's store-able in the brain), but the graphics that goes over the grid might have quite a bit of variation and could possibly be a picture.

The resolution is that of a GameBoy Advance.

I'll have to warn you though, I've already started on my Metroid + Bionic Commando + Blaster_Master + Excite_Bike + Tribes project. I'm easily distracted. Verily.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:33:45 AM by Arne » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »

Yeah, I might be able to do the Graphics. They're fairly simple and easy to do. I could do some concepts for puzzle mechanics in the games, such as levers, moving platforms and all that, but I'm not particularly keen on doing the level design and finetuning, stuff like that probably needs to be figured out before I draw the graphics.

I could handle the design, fine tuning and such, no problem at all.  Smiley

I'd love to see you be able to focus on concepts and art anyway.  The more you could do, the better, I'm sure.

Maybe we could do an editor for the levels and community develop that, then pick the best ones for inclusion in the main story/map.

Yeah, if this gets moving, I'd do an editor for sure.  And I really like the idea of developing it on the forum so's anyone could ask questions, give feedback, submit concepts, eventually submit levels, and whatever else.  I think it could make things pretty interesting!

It is tile based as in collisions and alignments (this makes it easier for the player to estimate things and collapse the information so it's store-able in the brain), but the graphics that goes over the grid might have quite a bit of variation and could possibly be a picture.

Right on.  I would definitely like to keep the mechanics tile based, but the rest is more about what you'd like to do.  If making tiles would be more manageable and therefore increase the amount of content you could do, I'd say go with that, for sure.  The game would still be beautiful.  But it's up to you, really.

The resolution is that of a GameBoy Advance.

From that screenshot... isn't it a bit wider?  Either way, I was concerned more about compatibility with PC resolutions than anything.

If you think it needs to be in a certain resolution, it can certainly be made in that resolution!  I'd just consider making it more PC-friendly.  (Though 320x240 would make for a considerably bigger screen.  Could be good, could be bad.)

I'll have to warn you though, I've already started on my Metroid + Bionic Commando + Blaster_Master + Excite_Bike + Tribes project. I'm easily distracted. Verily.

Oh my, sounds awesome!  Well, that's cool, of course.  If we develop it openly, you could just submit content here whenever you feel inspired.  (And hopefully Derek will fill in the blanks.  Smiley)  In fact, I'd prefer to develop it at a more comfortable rate, considering I can't make it my #1 priority either!  But I do think it would turn out wonderfully.

So!  What do you say?  Should we make this happen?  If so, I'm gonna split this thread so hard.  Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »

Yeah, just start!  No need to wait for anyone else to get it "rolling."  We have everything we need... let's get a prototype working (platform engine and character moving around on the screen to specification)!

Regarding resolution, the screenshot is 512x320 scaled up 2 times, so the actual game is 256x160 (GBA res).  Let's have the game run at 320x240 and then add a fake handheld system around the screen, kinda like so (I just stretched out another prom drawing):

But the characters are so tiny, it would be nice to have the option of scaling things up to 640x480.  (Also, windowed and fullscreen.)

How's that sound? Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:47:12 PM by Derek » Logged
wonderpus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »

What language is everyone most comfortable ?
I use C and Assembly mostly but can pretty much try anything . heck even flash Smiley

registered just to join the project Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »

I've got a little experience with GBA coding, should anyone want to take it that route. Though, I'd prefer to make levels for it. It looks like fun Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »

Need music? Cry

I think it would be cool to write some stuff with a classic GameBoy vibe.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 08:04:32 PM »

Yeah, just start!  No need to wait for anyone else to get it "rolling."  We have everything we need... let's get a prototype working (platform engine and character moving around on the screen to specification)!

Yes sir!  I'll get an engine made ASAP.  (Prepare yourself for the awesome!)

Regarding resolution, the screenshot is 512x320 scaled up 2 times, so the actual game is 256x160 (GBA res).  Let's have the game run at 320x240 and then add a fake handheld system around the screen, kinda like so (I just stretched out another prom drawing):

I may be wrong, but I could swear GBA res was 240x160.  I think the DS might be 256 by something.

Hey, I like that fake handheld system idea.  (Kinda like Arne's concepts maybe?)  Though, using the entirety of a 320x240 screen could be good too.  Let's start with the fake handheld resolution and feel it out from there.  If we need more wiggle room with the level design or something, we can always add it.

How's that sound? Grin

Awesome.  SO awesome!  I'm terribly excited.  I'll get working right away!

Echo and wonderpus:  Whoa, slow down there!   Smiley  I've got the programming and all that down, don't worry.  But, yeah, you guys should definitely be involved!  I plan to make an editor so's you can do levels, but I also want to see a big development thread going where you could submit ideas and give feedback and access the latest versions and all that.  Just gotta get organized first, is all.  Wink

wonderpus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2007, 08:18:11 PM »

ah well i'm no designer , i am just a coder
but i'll be keeping a close eye on this one Smiley..

i'd really like to do a PSP or DS version having coded both before
but your the boss , lemme know if you need a hand with anything

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic