Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:58:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsComputer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!  (Read 57354 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »

I've done some tests with another recorder which seems to work good and I may have the video I was speaking about uploaded in few hours. Sorry, wanted to give you a nice surprise today (or yesterday if it'd upload fast enough) but failed to do so.

Well, no sense crying over spilled milk, as we say in Poland. I'll rectify this mistake by re-recording the video and uploading it to YT. The only bad thing about this recorder is that VLC seems to not like it (video freezes but sound is fine), but Windows Media Player of all things seems to be OK with that (though a little bit choppy too). It works after being uploaded to YT as well (just tested with private upload).

//edit: Video is uploading now as we speak. Will make another post with the video itself when uploading is completed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:03:19 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »

Okay, here it is:

No idea if framerate problem is because it's not fully processed yet or because video was choppy to begin with. Anyway, the game itself runs fine when screen recorder isn't there. Then again, my computer is 6 years old so I rarely can record and play games at the same time and expect a good result. So probably people with better CPU that I have will be okay (and I get stable 60fps when I'm not recording so it is cool for me as well).

As for the level itself, obviously it isn't finished - everything is on the blue backdrop, it can't be functionally completed either as there are only 12 processes out of required 18 and there's no blue button. But you deserve to know how the work goes. Obviously, there will be some eyecandy even in predemo #2 version of this level though it still will be rough as hell and more complex decorations will arrive in the final demo.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2016, 05:02:19 AM »

Working hard on the level I've posted video of so recently. While (almost) functionally completed, I want to give it some nice flair and put some secrets in it.

//edit: Also, writing for the level isn't done, like, at all, but it can wait until I finish the level.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2016, 05:10:05 AM »

Things I need to do before I can release predemo #2:

- Finish level #3 (obviously)
- Create death animations (and sounds) for the Data Collection Process and Bad Pointer (the latter first appearing in predemo #1, but since it was indestructible there, I didn't bother to make death anim/sound).
- Fix any bugs I or other people playing game found that are either serious (data corruption/crashes) or easily fixable (like the resume button thing that is already fixed).

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

I've fixed an issue that was driving me mad ever since proper camera was implemented: Camera was not being reset behind the player on game's start. Now it is doing it properly, with a possibility of adding button input to do it during gameplay, although I am unsure about utility of this.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

I want to finally make the scoring system work instead of just displaying zeroes like it does now AFAIK. Therefore I am in the process of creating a pickup that would just increase your score.

There are two reasons for just such pickup:
  • It gives me an easy way to test scoring system and API of it that I can later link to other stuff so it gives score after killing enemies, collecting datagrams/weapons and so on.
  • The second reason is a design one: Several players have reported that they were getting lost in level that was in Predemo #1 (and I'm talking about actual level, not playable main menu). A trail of score pickups is a nifty tool that can point players in the right direction without outright telling them to where to go.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »

Scoring system and the first item used to get more score are implemented and working correctly. The only thing that still needs to be done regarding this is implementing pickup sound (which has been created, but doesn't work in the game yet). Then I can add scoring code to other stuff such as collecting other items and killing enemies/processes/neutrals. But that can wait, what can't wait is finishing the level I am working on currently, which is semi-finished, but not quite yet.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »

Should be posted yesterday, but forgot to click send. Good thing TIG saves unfinished posts, whether in cookies or server-side:
=====================================================================================
Found a quite serious bug in the trigger system today. It could cause certain things happen when they shouldn't while other not happen at all. Took me better part of the day to track down and fix (at least I think it's fixed - knowing my luck it isn't).
=====================================================================================

Anyway, most of performance issues I have been experienced seems to root from third-party Unity editor addon (Zios Themes), so it looks like it's time to get back to the blindtown for me if I want to have good performance. Funny thing: Previous version of this addon didn't have such issue, but too lazy to downgrade.

So yeah, I'll be coding in the collection sound now for the score collectible.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2016, 03:23:30 AM »

Okay, it makes sounds now Wink. I am in the process reworking Puzzle Acrobatics level (the one in predemo #1, level #4) so you'll have easier time knowing where to go in it, using the new score pickup as the guide.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2016, 05:11:02 AM »

Hopefully today I can get back to working on the Data Columns level (level #3) of this game Smiley. Up until now I was working on improving level #4 so it is more playable and more people know where to go without actually telling them where to go (that'd be condescending), but for now I'm done with that, I think. Obviously this level (and further ones) will get gameplay-related revisions in predemos up until majority of players and I are happy with them.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »

Couple new screenies:

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »

I've created a Discord server for CVS, so if you want to talk to me (depending on where you are living, with time delay because timezones), click this link: https://discord.gg/RgmEJzb (you'll need one free Discord account to use it).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:06:46 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »

Technically the Datacolumns level is finishable (albeit dialogue-less), but I want to allow myself some time to make it look a bit prettier than it is now. Also secret area is not done as of now. I hope you understand.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2016, 12:30:10 PM »

Work on the Datacolumns level goes really well. The only thing left to done is the secret area, which is being done now. Rest can be improved when I'll be doing the final pass on the levels (after all are done and before demo release).

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »

Time for an update, guys! Hopefully you were doing great and I hope you didn't think the project was abandoned (if so, sorry!) Smiley

OK, so what's been going on:
- Work continued on DataColumns level. Secret area needs to be done, but after it is, I'll get the dialogues done and release it, then start working on the new area. I really hoped I'll be able to prettify it up more, but making such a big level is kinda draining. Probably will get to it once all 5 levels of the demo are created and I can start prettify things up.

- Due to spoilers, there won't be "predemo" that contain level 5. It'll arrive along with the demo, but I got something very special planned for it.

- Been working on the Options Room. You'll get to it via the doors in the same area you select levels in:

After you get in, you should see this:

This will arrive in predemo #2. The resolution dropdown won't be usable yet, still need to figure out the way to write resolution changing code that is maintainable. You will however be able to turn off lowres mode and color reduction. Actually the code allowing to do this was ever since these filters were developed, however I had to recompile game to activate it.

The options are saved and applied once you click Save & Exit button, the other one discards all the changes.

As for the looks of it, it's pretty bare right now. Definitely will need to improve look of it, if not before predemo #2 is out then later.

- Speaking of which... I kinda hoped I'll be able to release it on Christmas, however with DataColumns not finished yet (and would need few weeks to get it done), it probably won't happen. I'll try to release it before Spring comes up. No promises, though.

Don't forget that you can follow me on Twitter to get freshest info possible (all tagged nicely with #ComputerVirusSimulator)!

Don't be afraid to ask questions either, here or on Twitter, it doesn't really matter! Just ask away!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:43:47 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »

Over the next week or two I'll be overhauling level editor a bit by introducing Unity-like transform gizmos and multiple object selection. There will be still object inspector and possibility of using it as it was used before (not that anyone including me would want that, though it'll be great for small adjustments and needed for colorizing and setting up triggers), but main usage will be using gizmos which hopefully make it easier and more fun to use which will make level editing faster.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »

Something something about a better editor:

It's still not connected to everything in the editor and ability to change the widget type with on-screen buttons is still missing and you can only select cubes for now, but at least it doesn't crash the game anymore.

Once I am done putting it together, I'll have much easier time making levels for CVS, already building time for some scenes I've tried this with is much faster.

Thank you for reading! You're all awesome!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »

Okay, the integration of the transform handles is about done right now, only testing remains and then exposing all the selectable blocks to the new selection method (easy, but mundane job) and then a switch that would change transform space from local to global and vice versa.

But after I'm done, I sense huge productivity spike since even with the test stages I've made (not too big) I was doing it very fast.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »

I'm prototyping new, solid black shadow for the Virus. The way shadow currently works makes it almost completely invisible in some cases, which renders its purpose (to show where you'll land while in the air) pointless.

New shadow should work better and be sharper, since it's just a polygonal circle, at some tradeoffs. For example, it won't wrap around objects and walls. Fortunately this is precisely how shadows work in the games I take graphical inspiration from:

So we get better position indicator and the game is more truthful graphically to early 3d games.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:35 AM »

New shadow thingy is done and the Virus seems happy.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic