Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:46:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Mistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]  (Read 34778 times)
increpare
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »

A good clave you've got going there.  Ah, yeah, I think that it's pretty successful as a rondo (though I wasn't convinced it would be upon hearing the transition into the B section, my doubts were dealt with in later recurrences); it has a very improvised feel all the way through.  Yeah, it would make a worthy addition to any lady's dungeon.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:04 AM »

I'm glad to have pleased you, mistress!

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »

Okay, mine's finished:

Glissandomeister

increpare
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »

Okay, mine's finished:

Glissandomeister
Excellent.  Just excellent.  I really like the feel of it, including but not limited to the buildup at the start.  More generally, the texture is great, the intonation ravishing.

How do you feel about the ending, though?
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »

Thank you.  I felt as though the Theremin would work well for glissandos.  Smiley

How do you feel about the ending, though?
Though it isn't practical for most game music, I personally like fade-outs.  I kind of wanted the piece to flow by, building slowly from the beginning, and fading out (more rapidly) at the end.

increpare
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »

Though it isn't practical for most game music, I personally like fade-outs.  I kind of wanted the piece to flow by, building slowly from the beginning, and fading out (more rapidly) at the end.
That's the thing; for me it suddenly ramped up a lot very near the end and faded out very quickly : it felt rather too abrupt: that last, heavier denser section didn't really get a chance to say much.  In some ways, I'd have rather not have heard it at all, and would have preferred a more gradual fade-out, in other ways, I'd want it hear it developed more.  Of course, if you're happy with it as it is, then I'm down with that.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »

Hey, guess what? I'm really lazy! My track is still some way off completion (Who'd have thought composing like Chopin would be hard?), but I'm hoping to make a final push this weekend. By the way, according to the first post, the deadline is Sunday the 24th. However, tomorrow is the 24th! We do have until the end of Sunday, right?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
increpare
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »

Sunday, sure.

Also, it doesn't have to be complete, it just has to be done.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

I've tried, but I don't think I'm gonna make it. Lately I've exhausted all my musical inspiration on the soundtrack for EverEternal WinterWorld 2.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »

I admit failure. The twelve-tone restriction actually isn't that bad, I think I could have handled that. Having to use strict rhythmic serialism killed it for me, though; I found it impossible to create anything listenable without being able to repeat a note value in a phrase. So as I fumbled around with it, it became more and more clear that my skills are far from sufficient for creating anything worth listening to within these constraints, and I quickly lost interest. Plus I started feeling positively aggressive whenever I returned to the thing for its utter shitness, so I'm throwing it out as it is. Angry The assignment is just way over my head.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2009, 08:22:22 AM »

It's borderline acceptable, maybe even unacceptable, but here you go, mistress. Thirty seconds long, hopefully meeting your requirements (I may have misunderstood).

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »

It's borderline acceptable, maybe even unacceptable, but here you go, mistress. Thirty seconds long, hopefully meeting your requirements (I may have misunderstood).

I really like this! It's sonically very interesting, and I think the 32kbps restriction is part of the reason for that.

The untold story, AKA "how care aout the time signature."

This is also great. I love the melody of the repeated phrase, and the mixed time signatures.

Okay, mine's finished:

Glissandomeister

Mmm, theremins!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »

Okay I think it might be done?
Bloodbone Stump
I hope it pleases my mistress.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »

I think you just needed to embrace its dissonance, not fight it.

Mr. Yes, I wish it had been longer, it could have gone places, though it works as it is.

Kobel, that's pretty great.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »

Mr. Yes, I wish it had been longer, it could have gone places, though it works as it is.

I would have, I just didn't want to have to deal with the frustrations having every bar be of a different speed in a long song. It would have been difficult as the song got longer.

Thanks though!

increpare
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »

Plus I started feeling positively aggressive whenever I returned to the thing for its utter shitness,
This is what some people would call a having healthy relationship with ones work.

Anway, I quite enjoyed your work, and was quite unhappy to hear it end.  The slight duration is unfortunate, however; I was looking forward to more development.  

If I were you, I would have first tossed in enough notes to fill the time constraint, and then work on manipulating individual cells, changing the octaves of notes, maybe crushing some of them into chords, working from something that already satisfied the constraints (even if it just be a phrase repeated twenty or thirty times) and trying to make it more acceptable to you.

Mr. Yes, I am pleased with your submission.  Its timbral qualities are delightful.  I hope this exercise taught you the aesthetic value of compression.

Okay I think it might be done?
Bloodbone Stump
I hope it pleases my mistress.

Kobel, I do believe I hear a tuned bass note in it.  I also wasn't aware that pad-scratching counted as untuned percussion.

I notice that there are several people who have not yet submitted.

Please, gentlemen, if you are reading this, do be sure not to forget to submit to your mistress.
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »

Mjau, please write a piece of music for no less than four instruments, lasting between two and three minutes.  Each instrumental line must be in a different time signature, and the time signatures must not be divisors of eachother.

.. the poltergeists are dancing in the broken machine
increpare
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:05 PM »

As a matter of interest, what time-signatures did you use for the different lines?
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »

As a matter of interest, what time-signatures did you use for the different lines?

Well, the beat sizes in pxtone are:

2: percussion
3: square wave
5: air strike siren (bass)
7: wind chime (ding)
*: noise

Note lengths vary.  The noise track is just fx, so doesn't really have a time signature.

This was a nightmare to create btw.
increpare
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »

This was a nightmare to create btw.
excellent...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic