Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 08:42:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538451 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: June 18, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »

I just tried critical bypass -

It took me a while to work out what was going on. The instructions say to sweep the cursor, but moving the cursor keys moved my ship as well, more than it did the cursor, so I was distracted by this and wasn't sure I was understanding correctly. Plus I worried the ship would bump into something.

I know it's difficult to get right with the cursor keys, but the cursor movement felt a bit stiff and awkward; maybe a larger or faster-accelerating cursor? Something felt a bit weird about sweeping the cursor over targets much bigger than it.

Then the game kept suddenly finishing without me knowing why. I thought I was bumping into the scenery or those big white cylinders. Eventually I realized that sometimes the extra lines on the screen were other things, I guess at me, and that I must be taking damage; I don't think I would ever have worked out where the damage was shown on the screen if I hadn't read the posts above.

One suggestion - have the glow when an enemy is destroyed happen while you are firing at it (rather than at the end, when it is destroyed), and have a similar glow on the end of lasers fired at you. This way you can see straight away who is firing at whom; I also think seeing something like this straight away would give a nice bit of extra feedback when you release x and let off your shots, since at the moment it feels like things take a while to happen.

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: June 18, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

I know it's difficult to get right with the cursor keys, but the cursor movement felt a bit stiff and awkward; maybe a larger or faster-accelerating cursor? Something felt a bit weird about sweeping the cursor over targets much bigger than it.

I'll try upping the speed a bit if you think it will help.

One suggestion - have the glow when an enemy is destroyed happen while you are firing at it (rather than at the end, when it is destroyed), and have a similar glow on the end of lasers fired at you. This way you can see straight away who is firing at whom; I also think seeing something like this straight away would give a nice bit of extra feedback when you release x and let off your shots, since at the moment it feels like things take a while to happen.

Okay I'll give it a try and see how it looks, there are some issues with it to do with object parenting and movement but I'll experiment and see how it looks.

Supermini_man
« Reply #1122 on: June 18, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »

I tried Critical Bypass and it was pretty cool. At first I didn't understand very well the HUD, but then as I played I knew it better. I also liked the story and the humor on it, and the Rez-like gameplay was really fun. Although I think that the second level is a bit too dark (I couldn't see some enemies until they were next to me). Overall it was a very nice interpretation of the game. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:19:46 AM by Supermini_man » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1123 on: June 18, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »

I really enjoyed it. Second and third Hand Clap level was pretty cool, I wasn't expecting that.

It felt a bit easier than previous versions. In previous versions I would be pretty screwed if I didn't take out the towers, in the latest that wasn't the case. I did die in the third level though. But not because of difficulty, was my own failings.

Easy, yeah. But good. So it's ok.
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: June 19, 2010, 05:16:24 AM »

Presenting

Bits and Pieces - Final v1.0!

Unofficially subtitled "I have no hands only a head."

Download here.

A slightly inferior web-based version is also available here. There's no preloader, only a blank white box for you to stare at while it loads.

Parts of this game are painfully unpolished; on top of this I'm sure I'll get great feedback, so I will continue to fix the game up as time allows. But time will not be allowing much for the next few weeks, unfortunately. Some day, I'll make a post-compo version with more levels and more polish; as is, there's not enough content to support all the powerups and gameplay types.

You might find the beginning rather boring and/or frustrating. If you stick with it, it should get more interesting later on. Likewise, if there's anyone who played one of my work in progress builds and thought it was horrible, I encourage you to give this a shot as it has changed a whole lot.

Everything in the game is by me. Programmed in AS3 with some Flixel. Thanks to Zaratustra for the A52 font.

2010 version:

1991 version:

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1125 on: June 19, 2010, 05:39:52 AM »

Presenting
Bits and Pieces - Final v1.0!

Really enjoyed this, quite a fun set of mechanics, really charming little game.

One really really minor thing, I understood pressing Escape was supposed to take you back to the main menu. I know you explain how to quit out if you do press escape but I think it would be nice if that was consistent across all the final games. Will be annoying if each game does it their own way.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1126 on: June 19, 2010, 06:07:43 AM »

Your Bits and Pieces is pretty cute! I played it for quite a while, but I find it too difficult and frustrating to get very far through... I'm not seeing a lot of resemblance to the original game though, could you clarify that for me?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: June 19, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »

Somebody give up so I can make something awesome.

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: June 19, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »

Somebody give up so I can make something awesome.

There's 5 games free. An Evil Empire sits there waiting for you to conquer it!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: June 19, 2010, 06:33:12 AM »

Oh dag, really?  I checked last week and could swear they were all gobbled up!  Well, right on. Gentleman

Now are these games still free 'cause they suck (like, more than Action 52 already does)?

MaloEspada
« Reply #1130 on: June 19, 2010, 07:26:57 AM »

Holy fucking shit. BMcC will make a game? Either Megalonia or Ninja Assault would turn out awesomely.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: June 19, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »

Critical Bypass v1.1

Action 52 Owns Windows Build

Stand Alone Windows
Stand Alone OSX
Web Player
Unity Source

Changes:
  • Fixed amount of health per level, removed regenerating
  • Health bar now shows as a traditional shrinking bar
  • Tweaked speed of cursor/ship on all 4 levels
  • Fixed up some grammar and spelling
  • Stand alone build shows "exit" on title screen instead of "main menu"

I spent over an hour playing about with adding a particle effect to show when the player is hitting the enemy or vice versa to no satisfactory result. Doing something that doesn't look terrible might take too much time. Hopefully the improved health bar along with the sound effects should keep the player clued in to what is happening.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1132 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

Oh dag, really?  I checked last week and could swear they were all gobbled up!  Well, right on. Gentleman

Now are these games still free 'cause they suck (like, more than Action 52 already does)?

Most of them were just unfinished and Podunk decided to remove the developer from the project, like Arne and Megalonia. The ones that were finished tended to be better than the Action 52 counterpart, but not by a whole lot, so Podunk dropped them.

The concepts of the currently-free games for remaking aren't necessarily worse than the rest of Action 52, if that's what you mean.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: June 19, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »

Sweet we got BMcC on board!  Now we need some more developers to get some of these games done so this doesn't turn to vaporware.

genericuser
« Reply #1134 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »

THEY CAME
the space shooter with an unfortunate name,
is now done.

WINDOWS BUILD V1.3

Thanks to easyname for the music, and the #pigscene guys for bugtesting!
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1135 on: June 19, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »

Heysoimadeonereferencetozeldaintheircandnowi'mnotallowedonatall.

Can I drop from this project? >=/.

TSDR; So I normally go onto the IRC to discuss and just update on the progress of Meong, but then of course, I make one reference to Zelda (which I didn't realise till after broke this rule of "no memes") and now whenever I enter I'm banned on sight. Fun right? So, I can't discuss concepts, ideas or elaborate on mechanics in live chat, which I'm fine with but the general vibe? Not liking it. It's pretty much killed my drive to collaborate on this project if that's how it's going to be, jesting or not.

So yeah, Meong is on hold pretty much due to that. If you want to remove it from the list because you feel like it, that's fine by me. If that -is- what's to happen, then I'm fine with that. Wish the best of luck to everyone on their projects for this, it's been awesome so far.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1136 on: June 19, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »

No need to further explain why you have lost interest in your project, why didn't you just say you lost interest and leave it at that?

Not to fuel the flames, but it was your own fault for getting banned due to you acting like a jerk-off, has nothing to do with the 'general vibe' of the irc.

It is a shame you decided to quit though, I thought your game looked pretty promising.
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: June 19, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »

Acting like a jerk? I didn't do anything insultive or aggressive. I've not said a thing that should be considered offending on the IRC, so why come to the conclusion? I'm just explaining why I've lost that drive. The comment, was only this "It's a secret to everybody." That's it. Nothing more or less. If I can't explain the situation and why I've felt like this, then I'm not sure if that's fair.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:05:47 PM by Neonlare » Logged
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1138 on: June 19, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »

Unfortunately I cannot complete this project, even though it's about 75% done. I've asked Pgil to take over or pass the torch to somebody else who is good enough at game maker to make sense of my (hopefully not too) messy coding.

Meanwhile here's the most complete version I'll be involved with.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iugx1lxnrjw

P.S: I apologize in advance for the terrible puns. They will be changed in the future.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:33:20 PM by Tadakuni Amano » Logged

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1139 on: June 19, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »

Acting like a jerk? I didn't do anything insultive or aggressive. I've not said a thing that should be considered offending on the IRC, so why come to the conclusion? I'm just explaining why I've lost that drive. The comment, was only this "It's a secret to everybody." That's it. Nothing more or less. If I can't explain the situation and why I've felt like this, then I'm not sure if that's fair.

Don't fret young padawan. Come back to IRC and all will be well. I hope it's not too late for you to reconsider.

And Tadakuni, it says invalid or deleted file, perhaps you pasted the wrong URL? It looks good, I don't see why you quit when you were so close to being finished.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic