Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 04:32:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450277 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #5700 on: June 05, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »

Ok I know that people that can't wait to see the game released are going to hate me for asking this but :
- if I kill a lizard, and I've put in all that effort, can I eat it ? Smiley
Lizards are non-edible. Only* things smaller than you can be eaten.
*as far as I'm aware

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5701 on: June 06, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »

Holy crap, Lyle in Cube Sector is a classic. One of those extremely solid latter day Klik games.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5702 on: June 06, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »

SOME news at least: Rain World will be playable (on a PS4!!!) at the SONY booth at E3.

https://twitter.com/adultswimgames/status/739875661209317376

It has been a *wild* few weeks getting to that point though, let me tell you.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5703 on: June 07, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »

Ok I know that people that can't wait to see the game released are going to hate me for asking this but :
*as far as I'm aware
So the slugcat is like a snake with no teeth and it can't take at least a few bites out of larger animals?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5704 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:19 AM »

*as far as I'm aware
So the slugcat is like a snake with no teeth and it can't take at least a few bites out of larger animals?
Think of it like a possum. It's an omnivore. A possum can eat insects, frogs, and fruit, but a possum isn't going to eat a fox or owl

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5705 on: June 07, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »

*as far as I'm aware
Think of it like a possum. It's an omnivore. A possum can eat insects, frogs, and fruit, but a possum isn't going to eat a fox or owl
But is that because a possum can't realistically hunt and kill a fox or an owl?  What if it comes across a "fresh" carcass of those?

However, in Rain World the slugcat is a hunter and especially in a resource scarce environment it would seem unlikely that food would be wasted like that.  Unless of course the lizzard is inedible because it has poison on its skin or inside.

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: June 07, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »

My understanding of the game is that killing your predators isn't something that the game is designed to encourage. You're supposed to be a small, terrified creature barely surviving from one cycle to the next. Killing predators and then eating them would effectively mean stepping out of the ecological/gameplay niche that the game has established for you, and on which much of the experience depends.

So, y'know, justify it in the fiction however you like (lizards are poisonous, the slugcat is not a carrion eater, etc.) but there are some pretty solid gameplay reasons for eating lizards to not be an option.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5707 on: June 07, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »

My understanding of the game is that killing your predators isn't something that the game is designed to encourage. You're supposed to be a small, terrified creature barely surviving from one cycle to the next. Killing predators and then eating them would effectively mean stepping out of the ecological/gameplay niche that the game has established for you, and on which much of the experience depends.

So, y'know, justify it in the fiction however you like (lizards are poisonous, the slugcat is not a carrion eater, etc.) but there are some pretty solid gameplay reasons for eating lizards to not be an option.
Basically. I can speak from my time with the alphas, but going up against even just one lizard is never a good idea. They're faster, tougher, hard to kill, and while you may be agile, they're more maneuverable, able to climb up walls or flip around fast

Plus, the spear is your most powerful weapon, but it's also something you need to save as an absolute last resort. It takes several well placed spear throws to kill a lizard, and actually spearing a lizard requires superior positioning because your spear bounce off their heads. Also a successful strike means you lose that spear unless you try a super daring and suicidial move of grabbing the spear off the lizard's body

Rocks/debris bounces back, so they're easily reusable. Stunning a lizard with debris and rocks to gain time to flee and hide is the much better option.

So back ally the game completely discourages being aggressive and trying to kill predators. I've become something of a lizard killing pro in the alpha, and a fight with one is still tense and tough. In the actual game, with actual progress at stake and smarter lizards/predators, I'm definitely not going to be trying to kill them
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:51:33 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:36 AM »

[...] Joar and I just did a prettttttty long interview (1.5hr!) with Destructoid's Jonathan Holmes on his "Sup Holmes" Youtube show:

[...]

I thought you are the sound guy, don't you have a better microphone? It's hard to follow your part of the conversation. Sad
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5709 on: June 08, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »

hey im no podcaster! my nice mics are aimed at much more interesting things than my face Cheesy

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5710 on: June 10, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »

2017 now?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312520/
And new screenshots on the Steam page as well

bartread
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5711 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »

Wow, I have to say: this looks absolutely *beautiful*. Can't wait for the release next year!
Oystershell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: June 10, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »

2017? Noooooo
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5713 on: June 10, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »

2017? Noooooo
Honestly I'm holding out hope that it was a mistake or just something temporary. A 2017 release just doesn't add up with what we know about the game.

Just last week, James said we'd have "real release date" news soon, and they said the game was content complete and in beta testing a few months ago. I also believe that James and Joar have always been quite honest and open throughout development, so they also wouldn't be saying those things if they were planning to then shunt the game's release into the next year.

Also the fact that they updated the store page with new screenshots and new banner art

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5714 on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »

Hey! hi! hello! Yeah, valid. Unfortunately... both things are true simultaneously. Content is wrapped up and we are doing final group testing with new players on controls and tutorial elements. The only thing left other than that is some polishing up of art / UI elements and assorted bug-fixes.

As for the change in date, the past few months we've been sprinting like crazy to hit a certain release window (that was *really* soon), but some 3rd party stuff came up last minute that couldnt be avoided and now we have to wait until the next window. Its not AS bad as you probably think, but we cant announce it until some other things get locked into place.

For some context, at this point there are a bunch of other moving pieces beyond just when the game is finished. Publishers and porting teams and platforms all have packed release schedules the next few months, and for a successful launch everything has to line up just right for all of them. With all the time, money and blood (so much bloooood) thats been poured into this project, we have to nail these last steps.

No question that we're disappointed though, because we absolutely killed ourselves to get things wrapped up in time (seriously, its been brutal), only to get derailed by elements that were out of our control. But honestly... this is best for the game too. In order to make the sooner timeline work out we were compromising on the quality of certain things in ways that neither of us were comfortable with. Now with this added time we can polish the polish and add that last 5%... and get that big content update ready to go for post-launch  Hand Any Key

So anyway, on to the twitter death threats!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5715 on: June 11, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »

that said.... i think we're going to have some really cool stuff for you guys before that!

things have been dark on here because of us being consumed by this last sprint and E3 death march, but man you guys dont even KNOW. https://gfycat.com/QuarrelsomeLoathsomeCony

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: June 11, 2016, 06:00:05 AM »

Ah well. At least my productivity will return to a normal rate now that I am not distracted by the thought of IMMINENT RAIN WORLD! Another six/eight/ten months of pure polish can only do good, and seems like a pretty enviable position to be in as a developer.

Can I say as an aside that Del has done such an amazing job on the art? I am so glad you guys tagged her for the ingame screens. She has such an eye for colour...
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5717 on: June 11, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »

That's completely understandable. Yeah, from this limited devlog perspective, you can kind of forget about all the other moving parts and parties involved with the game. I'm sure we all want Rain World to be the best it can be, and some of us have already been waiting obsessively patiently for years, so a few months isn't much. Happy that you guys won't have to compromise anything and will be able to make the game exactly as you want

Wlad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: June 11, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »

Does it mean that coop will make the cut for the release?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5719 on: June 11, 2016, 07:52:35 AM »

Just means I've got a new favourite to look forward to next year instead of this year and I can focus on my own game for the next couple of months without being distracted by the idea that Rain World was going to be released anytime soon.

Glad to hear that this will give you guys more time to work on it to the level you want without compromising the quality. Know how hard you've been working on it, so well deserved extension and easing of deadlines I think.

Also that cutscene tease with the parallax is looking really nice so far.

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic