Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:33:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTestify! Classify! (Who actually does what around here?)
Poll
Question: What style of music do you generally write
Chip tunes - 9 (20.9%)
Electronic - 11 (25.6%)
Folk - 4 (9.3%)
Pop - 1 (2.3%)
Rock - 4 (9.3%)
Classical - 3 (7%)
Hip hop - 1 (2.3%)
Polka - 0 (0%)
Experimental - 4 (9.3%)
Other - 6 (14%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Testify! Classify! (Who actually does what around here?)  (Read 6119 times)
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:14:48 AM »

I know we got a lot of musicians on the board here. I figure I'd maybe be a good idea to keep a big list of who does what. Could be useful if other people are looking for a certain style of musician for a collaboration or just to hear new stuff. Surely not everyone here is primarily a chip tune artist.

I'm leaving the poll set up so you can just choose one option. Most musicians write in multiple genres, I know I do, but this way it'll keep people from just choosing every choice and flooding the poll results. So think about either what genre you tend to write the most in, or that you enjoy writing for the most. I know I'm missing lots of genres but I tried to come up with the basic blanket terms that cover most the genres out there.

For myself, while I tend to mainly listen to indie pop, and electronic music, most of my songs (when working by myself) are folk songs. I love writing structures that are easy on the ear while technically complex. I love playing with lyrics and telling stories in my songs.

What about 'chu?

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »

We're not really pigeon holed into one style. We study a lot of the styles so we can say we can just about do anything. Of course, within reason. However we can do a lot of different styles well. We're probably only really known on the TIGforums for the iji OST, since that is really all that anybody praises us for. Which is fine, I don't want to seem ungrateful, for I ain't!

We've done and are doing lots of those styles mentioned above, and others, all the time. I know that other musicians on the board here are the same, I don't see that many chiptune artists flowing around the job boards tbh, or the audio board lately, for that matter.

pgil
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »

I mostly do chiptunes, but cover a lot of genres within those limitations. I think I'm influenced by folk and classical sounds, even when working with chip instruments.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

I do a combination of chiptune, speedcore (and more extreme versions of it), breakcore, lolicore, metal, cartoon/circus music, midigrind, reggae, and classical.

It's not that good, but it totally busts up your puny poll, so I'm happy with it. Wink
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »

Chiptune FTW

The artist formally known as "Javet."
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:10 AM »

Yeah, I couldn't pick just one. Some I do more than others. Except for Polka, I don't think I've done any Polka. Need to get on that...

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »

We're not really pigeon holed into one style. We study a lot of the styles so we can say we can just about do anything.

Same goes here, although people know me for Bonesaw which isn't quite chiptune, but more SNES-era, and then I do over-the-top orchestral stuff pretty knowingly too. (:

hi
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:08:21 AM »

I mostly do unpleasant electronic/industrial stuff.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:59 AM »

Im into loads of stuff like, Started out makin rock tunes using very little midi, then I made fantasy-esk stuff (which I love) then strated makin chippy stuff and now Im makin electro/house stuff. But I everyday I seem to be makin new stuff that challenges me so I suppose im not overly partial to a specific genre.

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »

who else put down folk? we can be the ultimate tigs folk duo.

anosou
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »

This poll is fun because if you answer only one genre you suddenly become a less attractive composer.  Gentleman
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »

This poll is fun because if you answer only one genre you suddenly become a less attractive composer.  Gentleman
Well, this is a bit unfair. You don't have to be wildly experimental to be a good musician.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:20:58 AM »

Yeah having a personal preference of style make you less of a musician. That's mad ridiculous. Just because someone _enjoys_ writing a certain type of music more then another doesn't mean they are less talented in various genres.

anosou
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »

Yeah having a personal preference of style make you less of a musician. That's mad ridiculous. Just because someone _enjoys_ writing a certain type of music more then another doesn't mean they are less talented in various genres.

Well, this is a bit unfair. You don't have to be wildly experimental to be a good musician.

Well, I didn't say it made you less of a musician and I didn't say you have to experimental. Really, I DEFINITELY don't think you should aim for being experimental. I prefer atmospheric electronica for example, answered . I'm just saying having a width of styles at your disposal is usually preferable, at least when people are checking your portfolio or similar.
Captain_404
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »

That was me! I've never posted any of it though.

Still, Sugarbeard and Captain_404: the Simon and Garfunkel of tigsource!
RichVreeland
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

Mostly Chiptunes. I'm this guy: http://www.disasterpeace.com

But I also do a lot of everything else. This guy: http://www.richvreeland.com

Beer!
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 06:58:06 AM »

I'm the only one that put rock? I dunno whether to be honoured or ashamed

edit: why isn't there an option for awesome

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »

That was me! I've never posted any of it though.
Still, Sugarbeard and Captain_404: the Simon and Garfunkel of tigsource!

Sorry about the duo, now there's three of us :D
I'm mostly writing folk music like traditionnal material from Brittany or Ireland though, that's not exactly S&G Tongue
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »

Thanks to having gone through a jazz program in college most of my portfolio falls within that idiom. I'd say it's a good starting point; it's such a varied genre that you can really do anything with it. It's catchy and theoretically fascinating.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »

I really like chip music, but I've become a part of the scene pretty much by accident and my truest passions probably lie elsewhere. I love electronic music, drone, rock, blues, folk, funk, and metal, and I have incorporated or intend to incorporate aspects of those styles into my assorted projects.

My answer was boring old "experimental" on the grounds that in addition to the chip music that people have actually heard I've got some ambient techno, spacey folk, and sound-collage oriented material lying around, and I consider that equally important even though I don't really release it.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic