Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 07:18:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBarbearian - Fast-paced hack'n'slash action in a colorful hand-drawn world
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Barbearian - Fast-paced hack'n'slash action in a colorful hand-drawn world  (Read 47385 times)
borinouch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »

Hi, and thank you, glad you find this of some use! And the reverse is also true, I get motivated whenever anyone posts things like that. Smiley Mac port wouldn't be too difficult, but my Mac is 2011 MacBook Pro model that's just barely holding it together (no SSD, slow as hell), so it would be too difficult for me to do a port with that. Otherwise I would gladly do it. I'll do it if I can some day afford a new Mac.

I can wait, but it won't be easy Wink
But seriously just keep posting more progress!

So my task system is a custom system, and is based on fibers. It's based on something we used while I was at Housemarque, just reimplemented for myself. Also similar to what's presented here by Naughty Dog. There's a bunch of open source implementations of that apparently too, maybe worth a look. Mine's just a lot more limited as I just wanted something simple. For example I can't create tasks from other tasks while they are running etc., all my tasks are pre-constructed. Mainly just because I wanted to keep it as simple as I could and what I would need for this game. My lowest target are 2-core iOS devices so I don't need anything to scale that much anyway. It's worked well so far. Also, I don't really have lock free algorithms in it (outside of the task manager), tasks tend to work by themselves a lot. The only one is an allocator that I can use to allocate space for output from a vector (so just one atomic int that tells the current size). Then I have an atomic spin lock in a few places. It's all very low-tech really. Smiley

Ah thanks for the info! I've seen the Naughty Dog presentation before but I'll need to rewatch it. Been trying to create a task scheduler myself for the last several weeks but didn't really know where to start or how it should go together -- I guess I was just overcomplicating things and just need to get it to work first before adding fancy data structures.
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »

Ah thanks for the info! I've seen the Naughty Dog presentation before but I'll need to rewatch it. Been trying to create a task scheduler myself for the last several weeks but didn't really know where to start or how it should go together -- I guess I was just overcomplicating things and just need to get it to work first before adding fancy data structures.

Yeah, I start with the most simple thing I'll need, just try to get the interface to something that'll be something you'd like to use. My implementation's really "stupid" too, I think I have one atomic and one mutex there and no any fancy algorithms or data structures and is in no way super efficient or optimized, but it works well enough and that's all I need for this game.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:45 AM »

Maybe check out boost::fiber. I did my own fiber implementation and it worked nicely most of the time, and then the boost guys came around doing it right. Nothing like the other boost libraries thingy<type_trait, stuff_policy>, but real down-to-earth usable code. I still need to look into it, though, I'm only repeating what I heard off the internet.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2017, 06:08:19 AM »

Maybe check out boost::fiber. I did my own fiber implementation and it worked nicely most of the time, and then the boost guys came around doing it right. Nothing like the other boost libraries thingy<type_trait, stuff_policy>, but real down-to-earth usable code. I still need to look into it, though, I'm only repeating what I heard off the internet.

I'm using a small part of boost fiber for the iOS/ARM builds and the Windows fiber API for Windows build. It was a bit easier to do it like that for me than to rip out the whole thing intact when I did it. At least it seemed so, didn't really spend a lot of time on it. Should probably look into it again. That's the only part of boost I use though, because it's such a epic behemoth. I wish it was easier to just use parts of it.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »

Log Entry #47

I did some design work this week, finished up plans for all hero abilities etc. I think I've got the plan for hitting alpha now together for that part. Then I changed the combo/chain system to final form and spent time on doing some new loot drops (larger diamond drops and a few "epic" loot drops for certain cases). I also redrew the old small diamonds and rubies now that I finally figured out how to make them look nice and fit into the style of the game. That was a lot of drawing but it's done now. That's it I guess for this week? Nothing very exciting.

Now I'm supposed to be doing a new minion type for "rage mode", but it seems either Spine update or something really strange broke most of my old skeletons too so I decided to write something here instead before I go into rage mode myself... Smiley

Rage mode is something that you can trigger once you've charged up the rage meter (which happens by keeping a good chain attack going), it transforms all your minions into kind of berserkers that destroy everything in sight pretty fast. We'll see how that works, but at least I want to try it out. And that's the last major player gameplay feature left to be implemented I think!

Next week, besides rage mode, I'll probably draw hero axe upgrades at least and draw some more shops and work on the shopping system in general.

Edit: here's some cake and diamonds from this weeks drawing spree

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:14:32 AM by gimblll » Logged

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »

The players that have tested my game always ask something like "What's with the loot, why do you collect fruit and shit. It's confusing, I thought it was health or something". Well, deal with it! Smiley

It's really for two reasons, a) I find always collecting some gold coins or something "real world" really boring. It's a game, it doesn't have to be so serious! and b) it's a tribute to one of my all time favourite games Bubble Bobble which had drops like fruit, computers, beer, whatever. That game is just so perfect in so many ways, and it's one of the biggest influences in my games career.

So I remember that one of the first things I wrote in my initial design was "MEGAFRUIT" as a reference to Bubble Bobble, where you'd sometimes at the end of the level get this gigantic loot drops. I've always wanted to have that in a game.

Well now 2+ years later, here's finally some megaloot in form of a giant cake!

Feels pretty good to finally have something like this done! Maybe the game might actually get finished some day... Smiley

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2017, 01:30:32 AM »

I want this cake Smiley
Keep on! It look very original you have to finish it!  Grin

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »

The players that have tested my game always ask something like "What's with the loot, why do you collect fruit and shit. It's confusing, I thought it was health or something". Well, deal with it! Smiley

It's really for two reasons, a) I find always collecting some gold coins or something "real world" really boring. It's a game, it doesn't have to be so serious! and b) it's a tribute to one of my all time favourite games Bubble Bobble which had drops like fruit, computers, beer, whatever. That game is just so perfect in so many ways, and it's one of the biggest influences in my games career.

So I remember that one of the first things I wrote in my initial design was "MEGAFRUIT" as a reference to Bubble Bobble, where you'd sometimes at the end of the level get this gigantic loot drops. I've always wanted to have that in a game.

Well now 2+ years later, here's finally some megaloot in form of a giant cake!

Feels pretty good to finally have something like this done! Maybe the game might actually get finished some day... Smiley

It's a game, it doesn't have to be so serious!

Seems like your "MEGAFRUIT" is being percieved as a Cake of CONFUSION. Smiley

You know that gameshow ...
We've asked 100 hardcore gamers: "As a manly-man warrior, what kind of loot do you expect?"
97 said: "FRUITCAKE!"
2 said: "Gold"
1 said: "Gemstones"
Wink

Based on the feedback it looks like you've violated another basic expectation: food = health.

So, is there a way to "fix" this issue?  I'm sure you know that adding your reasons to the game is not a possibility.  In Bubble Bobble it's much more obvious that you are playing in a made up fantasy world.  However, your game with it's melee combat and real world setting, is much closer to reality and my guess hence the expectations that everything should be as such.  However, it is possible to manage people's expectation.  For example you coudl prime people right from the beginning that the game is not serious by showing in a cutscene that the hero is really into cakes.  Just a little *food* (pun intended) for thought. Grin

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »

Based on the feedback it looks like you've violated another basic expectation: food = health.

So, is there a way to "fix" this issue?  I'm sure you know that adding your reasons to the game is not a possibility.  In Bubble Bobble it's much more obvious that you are playing in a made up fantasy world.  However, your game with it's melee combat and real world setting, is much closer to reality and my guess hence the expectations that everything should be as such.  However, it is possible to manage people's expectation.  For example you coudl prime people right from the beginning that the game is not serious by showing in a cutscene that the hero is really into cakes.  Just a little *food* (pun intended) for thought. Grin

Yes I know why it's confusing, at least for those first 30 seconds. But the thing is, I don't really care. Tropes are boring. If you can't figure the mechanics out in those first 30 seconds, you're probably not going to like my game anyway. I really dislike spoonfeeding in all kinds of media. Why does Mario double in size when eating a mushroom? Should Nintendo have made a small cutscene to explain the midichlorians or something? It's just something that happens in this world, and the player can use their own imagination for explanations if they want. (I do have an "internal" explanation of why things are the way they are, but I'm not going to tell it in the game.)

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »

So, is there a way to "fix" this issue?  I'm sure you know that adding your reasons to the game is not a possibility.  In Bubble Bobble it's much more obvious that you are playing in a made up fantasy world.  However, your game with it's melee combat and real world setting, is much closer to reality and my guess hence the expectations that everything should be as such.  However, it is possible to manage people's expectation.  For example you coudl prime people right from the beginning that the game is not serious by showing in a cutscene that the hero is really into cakes.  Just a little *food* (pun intended) for thought. Grin

Yes I know why it's confusing, at least for those first 30 seconds. But the thing is, I don't really care. Tropes are boring. If you can't figure the mechanics out in those first 30 seconds, you're probably not going to like my game anyway. I really dislike spoonfeeding in all kinds of media. Why does Mario double in size when eating a mushroom? Should Nintendo have made a small cutscene to explain the midichlorians or something? It's just something that happens in this world, and the player can use their own imagination for explanations if they want. (I do have an "internal" explanation of why things are the way they are, but I'm not going to tell it in the game.)
I wasn't referring to explaining mechanics but rather explaining the game "tone". 

There's a similar comment regarding seriousness on The Ballad Singer kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/curtelgames/the-ballad-singer-write-your-own-fantasy-story/comments
I backed this game based on the awesome concept, because I love choice and consequence. But I was almost put off by the voicework in that trailer. Your artwork makes this look like a very gritty fantasy world that one should take seriously. The voicework I feel was trying a little too hard, and came across more as the semi-silly mood of the Original Sin games. I hope the voicework in the final game is better suited to the mood.

That way, if you indicate from the beginning that you game isn't serious then players are primed and would be prepared for the sillier/non-serious aspects.  Or those that prefer serious games only would know that it's not for them.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2017, 12:38:19 AM »

Log Entry #48

Ok, so I implemented rage mode. It's in an ok shape, but I haven't really playtested it well enough yet. I also need to add some effects and sounds to it to make it feel good and the HUD stuff is just debug visuals. But I'll get to those later.

Then I started redoing the shop system I have, it's really old code that was inteded to work very differently, but now I've got a new basic system in place I can use. I re-did the basic max health and max spirit (energy used to resurrect minions) shops with it and I think I'll do secondary weapon shops next. I spent a bit of time also on doing more detailed plans on how the shops and world is gated and when does the player get anything. No drawing this week and nothing really visual to show either.

Next week, I'll probably start by making a few more shops and then it's time to put the final meta world levels in place, rewrite temp story bits, place the shops in the world and etc. world building in general. Maybe make a simple tutorial level. Time to take out temp stuff from levels as much as possible start putting more of the final pieces in place.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »

Spent the last few days working my way through the whole devlog. I loved reading it! The technical details are great. I love seeing someone build something that works smartly and efficiently, and achieves exactly what it needs to.

The pathfinding is particularly great, splitting it up with one query per frame is a great simple solution. Seems very satisfying to have this invisible system working behind the scenes slowly filling up all of the pathfinding data for the whole level.

Have you given much thought to a final name for the game? Also, I saw on twitter that you are thinking about music again, and it got me wondering, what audio system do you use? Have you done any fancy tricks for representing the sound of a horde of enemies without the sounds getting too messy and loud?

Keep up the great work!! Coffee

HiddenNatureDsn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »

Gotta admit, the style wasn't doing much for me in screenshots, but in motion it looks silly and fantastic.  Right there with you on the non-sensicalness of games.  So many of the classics have worlds that make no sense if you stop and think about them.
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »

Spent the last few days working my way through the whole devlog. I loved reading it! The technical details are great. I love seeing someone build something that works smartly and efficiently, and achieves exactly what it needs to.

The pathfinding is particularly great, splitting it up with one query per frame is a great simple solution. Seems very satisfying to have this invisible system working behind the scenes slowly filling up all of the pathfinding data for the whole level.

Have you given much thought to a final name for the game? Also, I saw on twitter that you are thinking about music again, and it got me wondering, what audio system do you use? Have you done any fancy tricks for representing the sound of a horde of enemies without the sounds getting too messy and loud?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm very happy with the path finding system. I haven't had to worry about it for a long time. Might not be the most elegant or pretty system out there, but it just works.

I'm not sure about the name yet, I might stick with Barbearian as I've used it for a long time already. I don't really like pun-names, but it kind of fits well.

And audio... I have a horrible legacy system I've made myself that just uses the raw platform sound APIs. Smiley  Mostly because all the audio engines out there are massively overcomplicated for something so simple as my games. I did integrate Fmod for a while at some point, but the performance just wasn't good enough for this game on iOS. And I have no secrets to massive battles, it's just spamming sounds on basic events and then I filter them so the same sound event doesn't play too often and I have some variations for the most common sounds like hitting with a sword etc.. Sounds good enough. Then just play some exciting action music to make it all exciting. Grin Lots to do on audio front still though. If I had a budget and a better target platform and time to experiment, I would probably fade in some ambient battle sounds etc. when things get exciting, but I can't go to such details on this game.

Gotta admit, the style wasn't doing much for me in screenshots, but in motion it looks silly and fantastic.  Right there with you on the non-sensicalness of games.  So many of the classics have worlds that make no sense if you stop and think about them.

Thank you! Yeah, I love games that aren't afraid to be "gamey" and just go with whatever they feel is fun instead of always going for the expected option.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »

Log Entry #49

So this log is going to be short. I had to take care of some "business" stuff and planning at the start of the week, but I think I can now be semi-confident that I might actually finish this game without going completely broke. Then Wednesday, it was the 100 year anniversary independence day of Finland, so I took a day off. Now I drew a few new primary weapons for the player character and I'm in the process of integrating them into the game. That included some extra work on Spine integration, as it doesn't support changing multiple "skins" (i.e. composing your character from multiple different part options at runtime) very naturally through it's API, but with some kludging I got it to work.

Next week it's pretty much the same as I promised last week. Keep working on new shops and then when I've done that, it's on to meta world level desing, starting with tutorial.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »

great arts! Good luck!!

My last game:

Supporter of
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »

I'm not sure about the name yet, I might stick with Barbearian as I've used it for a long time already. I don't really like pun-names, but it kind of fits well.

If I Google Barbearian I mainly get stuff about a DnD character class, which is fairly niche but worth considering if you want to avoid clashing with it. It might also fall foul of being hard to explain in person (you could get bored of saying "Barbarian.. but bear like the animal") or Google autocorrect "fixing" the spelling.

A name directly related to the plot / world / story could work? I'm not sure exactly how many of those kind of details you have.

Although I am personally a big fan of puns so Barbearian wins some bonus points for that Grin

Just some compiling-my-code thoughts on the matter Smiley

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2017, 03:13:36 AM »

If I Google Barbearian I mainly get stuff about a DnD character class, which is fairly niche but worth considering if you want to avoid clashing with it. It might also fall foul of being hard to explain in person (you could get bored of saying "Barbarian.. but bear like the animal") or Google autocorrect "fixing" the spelling.

A name directly related to the plot / world / story could work? I'm not sure exactly how many of those kind of details you have.

Yeah for sure. Googling is a big issue definitely. I'm really bad at names in general (game names, character names, etc.)... I mean I called my last game Trigonarium, try to explain that to people... WTF I'll probably name this something like Turbo Mega Bear Hat Man Quest Extreme after a while if I'm not happy with Barbearian... Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »

Yeah for sure. Googling is a big issue definitely. I'm really bad at names in general (game names, character names, etc.)... I mean I called my last game Trigonarium, try to explain that to people... WTF I'll probably name this something like Turbo Mega Bear Hat Man Quest Extreme after a while if I'm not happy with Barbearian... Smiley
BEAR HAT MAN!  Sounds like we have a winner! Grin  Actually, that would work as a pun name ... but it may be too comical for your game.  On the other hand, As Ishi mentioned, the plot / world / story could give a better direction and that name might work.  As a little further brainstorming, since you mentioned cake as loot, how about Chaotic Cake Quest!  If you want, you can always add Extreme at the end. Smiley

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »

Log Entry #50

Alright, I got all the shop functionality done. I still need to draw proper sprites for them, but that's not such a big job as I already have a bunch of unused buildings. I'll do that as I place them in their proper places in the world. (Now they're only in one big test level.) All shop text is also placeholder, so that needs doing too. I also finished the two new primary weapons, so the player has upgrades for the axe as well.

I then changed it so that you rescue basic minions from the levels and then you use a shop to upgrade them to different types of minions. Just so there's more to do with the loot you gather so much in the game. Currently there's only knight and archer minion upgrades, but I have the graphics for a "thief" type of unit too. I'm just unsure what the gameplay of that unit would be (it's a leftover from an older design) so that it would make sense, so I'm not sure if I'm doing that unit. It doesn't necessarily need it so I might just leave it be. We'll see.

Then I moved on to put the final pieces in place for the beginning of the game, polished the opening level and dialogue a bit.

Next week. I'll redo and finish the "tutorial" level and continue to reshape the meta world to its final shape. There's still lot's to do there, so I expect it'll take the whole week. The plan is to put at least placeholders for everything in it.

It's a curious thing, the longer you work on game, the more ambitious you feel it should be when you release it. If it's a 3 or maybe 6 month thing, you can be casual and be like "it was a short project, there were compromises". But once you spend over two years on something, it feels like it should be pure diamond or you'll end up as a laughingstock. Anyway, I just have to get over myself and keep concentrating on finishing this! There are no missing pieces in the design and all assets that need to be done are pretty much known. No more feature creep allowed! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic