Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:16:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting10.5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 10.5  (Read 1917 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

I made a game for Anti-Assemblee here

But since no-one drew sprites for it, i decided to dig up my WIP sprites and tiles, and cook / dig some music for it too.

In this game you explore a procedurally generated dungeon to rescue your brother. Each time you enter a room, it will be different. Difficulty of the rooms gets higher the more rooms you visit.

Controls: All on screen, no need to babble about that.
Requirements: Windows 98 capable PC will do.

Download

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »

Haha well that was 15 minutes well spent.

Has a few kinks but it was fun, I liked the bait-and-switch on the endings. You think it's over and, nope. All I did to get through the game was upgrade my jump and double jump and bombs, I didn't even pay attention to the other options except level regeneration. I liked the music as well. Surprisingly, it didn't get annoying after 15 minutes.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:51:17 AM »

Thanks allen Smiley

I'm hoping to hear more about the game, there are also things I know are crap and need improvement / replacement, as:

- intro tune
- collision
- jumping
- peanut

bigwavejake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »

That was really fun!

I liked having to find him over and over again.  There should be a time trial version, like, quickest to find him 5 times.
TheDustin
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »

Once you upgrade your jump skill to the maximum it got annoying to jump past and over platforms; maybe you could incorporate a Mighty Bomb Jack (NES title) style mid-air stop? Either that or have your jump increase as you hold the jump button.

If you wanted to add a little structure to the system, perhaps you could start in a lower corner of the world and try to reach the opposite top corner? Spelunky was structured so that you wanted to reach the bottom of the screen, and it seems your upgrades here are tailored to going upwards. You could also have it so that you generate more pits as you progress upwards, to increase the difficulty.  Shrug

This is a neat diversion as it stands.  Smiley
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

Once you upgrade your jump skill to the maximum it got annoying to jump past and over platforms; maybe you could incorporate a Mighty Bomb Jack (NES title) style mid-air stop? Either that or have your jump increase as you hold the jump button.

If you wanted to add a little structure to the system, perhaps you could start in a lower corner of the world and try to reach the opposite top corner? Spelunky was structured so that you wanted to reach the bottom of the screen, and it seems your upgrades here are tailored to going upwards. You could also have it so that you generate more pits as you progress upwards, to increase the difficulty.  Shrug

This is a neat diversion as it stands.  Smiley

Yeah, jumping is crappy as hell, I have to think of something, and mario style hold-it-longer seems alright. Actually I was just lazy not doing that Tongue

I actually never played spelunky (i probably shouldn't be saying this here), but if you played a little longer you'd notice, that you have to go back up after you go down, and after that you have to wander about some more. I made going down first, since it's easier, and also the levels are generated to facilitate current direction. It is pretty hard already to go up, since you can fall 4 floor in 3 seconds.
And upgrades are upwise to reduce dead-end situation probability.

Thanks for critical response, I will try to polish it considering to your remarks.

TheDustin
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »

No problem. And I know there's a lot of "OMG SHPELLUNKIE" here, but the way it incorporates procedurally-generated content is stellar. If you want to explore this idea further I'd totally recommend studying it from a design standpoint.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »

I couldn't read any of the text surrounding the screen, since it was black and the lines behind it were black as well. I think this was probably a glitch? But it meant that I didn't really know how to do anything... I worked out how to do a high jump, but not how to upgrade my jump, place bombs, or anything like that. After I got to the third stage it became way too frustrating and I gave up.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:27 AM »

I couldn't read any of the text surrounding the screen, since it was black and the lines behind it were black as well. I think this was probably a glitch? But it meant that I didn't really know how to do anything... I worked out how to do a high jump, but not how to upgrade my jump, place bombs, or anything like that. After I got to the third stage it became way too frustrating and I gave up.

That's weird, can you please post a screenshot of that happening?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic