Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 07:20:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHypno-Joe - Mario Bros meets Dr. Mario and Bubble Bobble
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hypno-Joe - Mario Bros meets Dr. Mario and Bubble Bobble  (Read 5315 times)
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 01:40:07 AM »

Looking forward to seeing it all polished up.

Fantastic job for sticking it though with the gameplay, it can be hard, atleast for me, to not go crazy with menus and fancy sounds, particles, etc.

Your game is fun, and unique.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it all polished up.

Fantastic job for sticking it though with the gameplay, it can be hard, atleast for me, to not go crazy with menus and fancy sounds, particles, etc.

Your game is fun, and unique.

Thanks for the kind words.  While I don't have any functional improvements I did animate Joe and decided to go ahead and upload it today.  Still more work to do on Joe himself.  Still need to animate the enemies although I might keep their design.  Need to add visual cues, fix up the hypnosis visuals, add tile art, etc and so forth.

As per usual:
Click the image to play (small / 1.5x) flash version:

Dev size: Click here
Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here

Here's the (small / 1.5x) HTML 5 version Here
HTML5 Dev size: Click here
HTML5 Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »

Here it is folks.  Major update.  I fixed a bunch of bugs discovered a few new ones, and gave it a graphical upgrade.  Now there are "text cues" which show you when you got points, hit the freeze token, when you got an extra life.  Also I redid the enemy animations, redid the zapper animation, and the tiles and platforms as well.  There's also entrance and exit pipes.  There's still quite a bit more to do.  I still have to squash those remaining bugs.  I still need to tweak some animations and add some more.  Also more visual information such as when you hypnotized the enemy.  But it's getting pretty close now.

As per usual:

Thanks for playing so far.

laxa88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 01:25:06 AM »

Awesome progress! It's looking better and better :D
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »

Thanks laxa88.

I just added sound today, need to add a few more, and some animations and tweak a few things before uploading a new version.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »

Okay so.... things are coming along.  I still have some bug in there that I can't seem to reproduce, but maybe in the course of developing and testing I can figure it out.  I fixed a number of existing bugs, most of which you probably won't even notice.  I managed to get the "zapper" guards put in which basically light up to tell you when to expect the zapper to come on.  Also sounds!  Now I have some placeholder sounds, they do sound a little 8-bit-ey but that's ok, since this is a retroish game.  I may have put in too many sounds but we'll see.  I meant to add a sound for the zapper but forgot to get around to it.  Modified some of the entry pipe graphics so they now look like they're hanging from something rather than looking like they're floating in midair.  I added some overlay graphics to the container or cage if-you-will.  So basically just more refinement.  Let me know what you think.

As per usual:

Thanks for playing so far.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »

To make it more 'devlog' like I'm going to add some extra postings even when I'm not updating.  But also would like to ask if you look at this to please test out my game and let me know of any major bugs you find in it.  Stuff like can you drop enemies ok.  Are they being hypnotized properly, and any other odd things you notice.

In any case sometime today I'm going to switch from portrait (vertical) to landscape (horizontal).  Also probably going to change the resolution and aspect ratio.  384x480 - 640x360, 4:5 - 16:9 -- 16:9 because even a majority of phones support that aspect ratio.  The game itself will become somewhat wider but shorter vertically.  I'm planning on 480 as the game width, so in essence the game itself will be using a 4:3 aspect ratio, in a 16:9 frame.  I plan on using the left and right edges to support touch controls and to pull up the menu/pause screen. 80 pixels on each side, might be a bit much, so I might want to tweak the games aspect ratio.

Anyways please test, and thanks for checking it out.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »

gave it a go, it still seems a little buggy to me. i grabbed one of the green guys, but could not put him down. when he dropped by himself it killed me. the red guy seemed very random in his actions and hard to predict. as he seems to be able to move in every direction, it did not seem like i had much of a chance besides luck. not being able to hypnotize from the back kind of makes sense, but it does make the game harder.

not sure how I feel about the game idea in general. it's as you describe a mixture of a lot of different ideas.

maybe it needs more options? like kicking hypnotized enemies around to knock out others? I also found it weird when on level one there were only blues spawning, but in my pit i just had red and green.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »

You should be able to drop them at any time, so I don't know, I have to go back and keep playing it.  Do you know which level you were on when you couldn't drop him?  Were there any other enemies passing by?

All three enemies are based on patterns, however the red guys have the longest followed by the green guys then followed by the blue.  It will probably be a thing I need to tweak though to hit the sweet spot.  Where it seems totally random, and yet is not.  Anyways the red guys are supposed to be more unpredictable than the greens than the blues.

As far as only blues spawning, the spawn in an order and a quantity.  This to be tweaked later for final release, but it will spawn 3 blues, then 2 greens, then 1 red.  However, it will spawn them faster if you remove them faster.  So sometimes it will seem like more blues because you got the others out of the way.  Also it resets when you die, so I might think about not resetting it when you die so you can get that good mixture.

So really the main bug is that you can't drop enemies sometimes.  I'm working hard to figure out where it's doing that, and why.  Thanks for the valuable feedback and for just trying it out.

gave it a go, it still seems a little buggy to me. i grabbed one of the green guys, but could not put him down. when he dropped by himself it killed me. the red guy seemed very random in his actions and hard to predict. as he seems to be able to move in every direction, it did not seem like i had much of a chance besides luck. not being able to hypnotize from the back kind of makes sense, but it does make the game harder.

not sure how I feel about the game idea in general. it's as you describe a mixture of a lot of different ideas.

maybe it needs more options? like kicking hypnotized enemies around to knock out others? I also found it weird when on level one there were only blues spawning, but in my pit i just had red and green.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »

I did what essentially amounts to stress testing.  Putting 32 enemies on screen and trying to hypnotize, levitate, drop, and re-levitate enemies, also dropping them into the cage.  Results are disastrous.  Some animations got stuck, sometimes I couldn't drop them.  The cage like worked entirely screwed up.  Some enemies stayed in there, some got removed... all in all it didn't work as expected.  So I'm going to be going back to the beginning, gutting and making sure I can do the actions properly.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »

Don't have any updates but I did make some progress.  I converted some of the objects to tiles, and write some code (with help) to create collision objects using the collision tilemap.  Of course I changed the aspect ratio and increased the resolution of the game (without changing tile or sprite resolution).  There's some pretty big bugs that I need to rewrite to fix so I'm in the process of doing that now.

But just to show proof here's a new screenshot:

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 09:10:31 PM »

Glad the graphics got an update, it really does look much better. Good work!

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic