Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411564 Posts in 69385 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 03:42:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2329177 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #12940 on: October 20, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »

MWO owns you shut your whore mouth
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12941 on: October 21, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »

Do Games for Windows (not LIVE) require activation code inserted and associated to your Live account if you buy retail version?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12942 on: October 21, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »

just watched "Book of Eli"
dumb religious propaganda, but a funny setting, and a very well pulled off twist

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12943 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »

The eternal indie dev curse.  Too busy playing games to work on them, too busy working on games to play them. D:

QFT.

Also saw Ultraviolet this weekend. Medicore Matrix-esque movie that would've made a FAR better video game, ironically. Makes me hungry for Bayonetta, to be honest.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12944 on: October 22, 2012, 04:51:42 AM »

http://cashcats.biz/
Website of the year 2012

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12945 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »

The eternal indie dev curse.  Too busy playing games to work on them, too busy working on games to play them. D:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think rocket scientists ever get to drive rockets.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: October 22, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »

The eternal indie dev curse.  Too busy playing games to work on them, too busy working on games to play them. D:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think rocket scientists ever get to drive rockets.

truth

Think happy thoughts.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: October 22, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »

I know plenty of rocket scientists who get to launch rockets, and plenty of game developers who both play and make games. The curse you are talking about is called "bad time management"

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12948 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

I know plenty of rocket scientists who get to launch rockets, and plenty of game developers who both play and make games. The curse you are talking about is called "bad time management"

What happened to your site D:
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »

oh crap is that still not fixed?

I'll look into it

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12950 on: October 22, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »

Apparently you guys in England are going to be losing your Ceefax thing. Seeing something like this would have been cool over here.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12951 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

Hey guys, i made a thread in General saying that video games needed a new name just a few minutes ago, but it isn't there anymore. Was it deleted? Why?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12952 on: October 22, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »

Someone got rid of it because it's sort of a silly topic.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12953 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

k

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Ashkin
« Reply #12954 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »

Wildfire Worlds looks cool.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

Hey guys, i made a thread in General saying that video games needed a new name just a few minutes ago, but it isn't there anymore. Was it deleted? Why?

Actually, I think that's something worth discussing, as "video" is, according to wikipedia:
"the technology of electronically capturing, recording, processing, storing, transmitting, and reconstructing a sequence of still images representing scenes in motion."

The word "sequence" to me implies linearity as an essential part of "video", each frame is a picture that will always be preceded and followed by the same other pictures, hence the term "motion pictures". As "video games" are not linear in such a way, and really have a nearly infinite amount of possibilities for each picture, it could be argued that it is a flawed term. In a way we are viewing this medium through the lens of "video", when in reality that does not really come close to describing what games are.

I think a huge problem with describing what "video games" are lies in the fact that it can not really be broken down into any other medium as easily as others can. rhythm and pictures are the two primordial art forms, humans were banging on rocks and drawing their hunting exploits on walls in antiquity, and most other mediums are just subsets of these skills. Comics are pictures laid out over space, film is pictures laid out through time. What are games then? Yes pictures flash onscreen and they create the illusion of motion, but the creator can't have control over every single frame like in film. He needs to create rules that attempt to build the image he wants for him. I would in fact argue that games are more accurately described as a science than an art form, so I don't know if "video" really fits.

Also, on a side point, indie games have been made with only controls and sound, no graphics at all.

Therefore, I propose the name: "thingamajig"  Well, hello there!

of course, there are people on this forum way more talented than me, and I would love to hear some dissenting opinions, that's how idea's evolve

I need to drink less energy drinks

Think happy thoughts.
alto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: October 23, 2012, 01:05:03 AM »

Why bother
st33d
« Reply #12957 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:28 AM »

The trouble with words is that they generally expand in meaning, not contract. You can't just wander in with a new label for something and say, "STOP EVERYONE, WE'RE USING THIS WORD FROM NOW ON." It won't work unless the new term is particularly interesting to people.

It's like "farming" in video games. That one really pisses me off. If you take a guy who goes out and buys chickens and then raises them, feeds them and profits from the eggs they produce then that's farming. He's nurtured the return he gets from the chickens.

If a bunch of foxes then break in, kill all the chickens and eat all the eggs, then piss off and wait till the poor bastard gets new chickens and do it all over again, that's not fucking farming. That's just theft and murder.

Yet you do exactly the same thing as the foxes in Diablo and people call it "farming".

But I've got sod all chance of getting people to pick a label that's appropriate for these actions - it's there in the mainstream until it gets replaced by something that sounds cooler.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »

semantics .... YEAH
anyway If you look at the 'video game' in wikipedia instead of video , it does touch that.
It also says: 'In the early days of cartridge consoles, they were sometimes called TV games.'

I don't think the term needs to change, I assume the games in the early days where actually a whole lot less like movies/videos then they are now. So. let's make gaem

edit: videogame, arcadegame, tvgame, consolegame, pcgame.. computer game is what I call them most of the time.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12959 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »

let's rename films because most isn't shot on film these days

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic