Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:02:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOCD based game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: OCD based game?  (Read 2705 times)
Hambone
Level 1

follow on the twitter @The_Hambone1988

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

I was def thinking along the lines of black and white. The arcade idea seems awesome. I plan to keep the art style fairly simple just because I am not really an artist (so wish me luck). I am finally done with school for the summer so I will begin some small production of the prototype. It will probably be done with C++/SDL and I will be sure to make it available to you guys. I have been so grateful to have such wonderful feedback from you all!

Hambone 

Wannabe indie game developer
Shashwah
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »

I find the idea of this game quite interesting, I myself suffer from OCD (among other various problems)and I feel that this game could be not only extremely enjoyable but also very inspiring. I am a programmer and I work most in C# and that itself has caused a lot of problems for me so its taken a lot longer to learn than I feel it should. Seeing this idea made me happier in the sense that I feel it would bring awareness to the problems the OCD inflicted deal with on a day to day basis. The fact that you have brought this idea to the community is a good thing, it leaves you open for us to help you out with this. Hopefully you also get assistance from those who deal with OCD and not just from what you research as each and every person deals with it differently and having personal experiences will also help improve the quality and depth of this project.
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »

I find the idea of this game quite interesting, I myself suffer from OCD (among other various problems)and I feel that this game could be not only extremely enjoyable but also very inspiring. I am a programmer and I work most in C# and that itself has caused a lot of problems for me so its taken a lot longer to learn than I feel it should. Seeing this idea made me happier in the sense that I feel it would bring awareness to the problems the OCD inflicted deal with on a day to day basis. The fact that you have brought this idea to the community is a good thing, it leaves you open for us to help you out with this. Hopefully you also get assistance from those who deal with OCD and not just from what you research as each and every person deals with it differently and having personal experiences will also help improve the quality and depth of this project.

This is exactly what I am aiming for! I'm glad I am getting such positive feedback.

I don't personally suffer from OCD but I do have related anxiety disorder problems. It is really hard for others to truly understand what it is like to live in the mind with these type of disorders. I can only hope to give a better sense through an interactive experience.

Hambone

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

Sounds like an interesting idea for a game.  I think it could be very good if executed well.
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »

Sounds like an interesting idea for a game.  I think it could be very good if executed well.

oh the pressure.

Hambone

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

There was a game that was intended as a metaphor for OCD at the Different Games conference this year -- http://www.differentgames.org/into-darkness/

It was kind of flippant towards OCD though ... basically it just tells you do do something 'obsessive' and then you win if you don't do it.  I think there's room for a much better treatment of the subject in games; just mentioning this as a point of reference.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

There was a game that was intended as a metaphor for OCD at the Different Games conference this year -- http://www.differentgames.org/into-darkness/

It was kind of flippant towards OCD though ... basically it just tells you do do something 'obsessive' and then you win if you don't do it.  I think there's room for a much better treatment of the subject in games; just mentioning this as a point of reference.

Thanks for letting me know about this! I will see what I like and don't like about it

Hambone

Shashwah
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 01:48:52 AM »

What I personally think may be a good idea is giving the character multiple disorders, or at least having some sort of random selection as to in a sense show off how these disorders affect a person while also having nice gameplay, for instance giving the character something as simple as social anxiety would make it more interesting when around others. It would probably add the idea of having to manage the anxiety using multiple "solutions".
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »

What I personally think may be a good idea is giving the character multiple disorders, or at least having some sort of random selection as to in a sense show off how these disorders affect a person while also having nice gameplay, for instance giving the character something as simple as social anxiety would make it more interesting when around others. It would probably add the idea of having to manage the anxiety using multiple "solutions".

Yeah, I was thinking about how I could incorporate multiple disorders and how this would effect game play.

Hambone

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »

Ladies and gents, meet Tim, the protagonist.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic