Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411704 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 03:28:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Kings of Power 4 BILLION %
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kings of Power 4 BILLION %  (Read 9842 times)
Jrsquee
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

From the man that brought you Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006 comes a new, twelve-minute film so AWEXSOME that your life will be changed forever:

Kings of Power 4 BILLION %

Watch, and be amazed.
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

Eh, I liked PBCBSF2K better, but this wasn't so bad. Just too...anime-influenced for my tastes.

That being said, it would be awesome if this guy would actually make games...
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »

im really annoyed with this game.
make a game already.
just make it. a. game.
not a bad "film" that is really nothing but a fancy game mock-up.
just make it interactive, and it wont matter that its convoluted and incoherent.

amazing art tho.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

I want to have Paul Robertson's mutant pixel babies.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Seth
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:03:41 PM »

This this guy actually does make games... Contra IV, for example.

I'm just saying, these videos generally are neat but not what I wish he would do with all this time, either.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:13:45 PM by Seth » Logged
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »

Upskirts and guro isn't my forte.

Last one was a lot prettier and had more varied animation.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:56:30 AM »

I thought it was going to have an epic ending, but the good guys lost Huh?

ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

i liked it more than the previous just for the sheer randomness of it.  Plus anything that has Alf being crucified is win.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »

This this guy actually does make games... Contra IV, for example.

I'm just saying, these videos generally are neat but not what I wish he would do with all this time, either.
Yeah but he must not have sufficient work if he finds the time to produce all those videos.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »

I just watched it for the first time, and I must say, several lols abound but thats not what hit me hardest. To me, this seems a near perfect satire of video games albeit a specific type, that even goes a bit deeper. The video begins as basically a trailer. You even see it running a bit slowly at certain bits just like a classic side scroller. And then we have the constant build up of bigger, more power entities.  You can really imagine playing this game. You feel the ramp up in difficulty. You feel the combos. Someone who's grown up with a controller in their hands will get a visceral feeling watching this.

But then the ending.

Suddenly we're reminded we're not playing a game. We're watching a film. The good guys don't necessarily win in the end. When a video game has a happy ending, the main character (predominantly) lives. Its "right" ending after so many different "wrong" endings in which the character dies. As gamers we expect at least this. At least let us win, after we've gone through so much. Our concept of our main character becomes mixed up with our sense of self. Its a separate entity but also ourselves. No yells out, "Dammit, Mario died!" but "Dammit, I died!"

Its only natural that we want to our characters (and thus ourselves) to live and be rewarded after we've beaten a game. Thats why we're so enamored with secret and final endings; it lets us live a little longer in this world, and might even promise a more satisfying ending than the previous. Of course, in real life everything eventually succumbs to death. Thats the only "final ending" there is. We don't like to think of fictional characters living longer than we see, growing old and dying. Just like Tom Sawyer will always stay a boy because of his fictional nature, so will Mario never really die. Its inherently a fantasy that a story does not end with death.

Shocked  Roll Eyes

Ok, that was darker than I had intended, and far less entertaining than the film itself. But I thought something more needed to be said than "OMG RANDOM HAHAHA."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:54:03 PM »

I just watched it and :
1-I found it a little bit boring, it looks too much like these japanese videos(I can't remember the name of the authors sorry) there are many like that. It could be a little bit better maybe with a more coherent story I don't know

2-Maybe next time instead of a (300 MB!) video he could distribute it under the format of a rom?!
Maybe for genesis or SNES or NeoGeo I don't know. Of course the cartridge would have to be much larger than a traditionnal cartridge to contain all the sprites, but why not?

BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »

2-Maybe next time instead of a (300 MB!) video he could distribute it under the format of a rom?!
Maybe for genesis or SNES or NeoGeo I don't know. Of course the cartridge would have to be much larger than a traditionnal cartridge to contain all the sprites, but why not?

Because its an animation put together in video software like Adobe Premier or After Effects, not a programmed game.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »

I know but I was thinking it would be cool to do that as a rom (but then I realized it would involve lots of coding, so...less cool)

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »

I just watched it and :2-Maybe next time instead of a (300 MB!) video he could distribute it under the format of a rom?!

Larger than a Neo Geo cartridge?  You kid me.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

@Chrissketch, have you played Fallout? That game has an incredible ending.

ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

Whilst the dude is a freaking shaman of the black arts when it comes to pixel animations and bonkersness, I got bored at about the halfway point. Most people struggle with not finishing projects but Robertson needs to know when to stop, that thing just went on and on. Of course, with his pixelling skills he's perfectly entitled to tell me to "get boned" cos it's marvellous stuff irrespective of length.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »

That was weird.
The animation is undoubtedly great but I wish it'd had something other than zomg flashing lights shaking screen crazy sh*t. Too random. And that final boss was just annoying. She didn't even leave an opening for attack! If this were a real game I'd be pissed to have been beaten by that boss. The sequences, sure, got more epic and grew in scale and power as the video went on, so did the animation, and towards the end I felt it began to lack the subtle details which make this dudes animations so awesome in the first place. Not to mention all the zomg flashing lights shaking screen. Cool, but not much else.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

I found the gratuitous misuse of religious symbolism to be grotesque.  And I'm an atheist.  I also don't care for animu dreck.  Just not my cup of tea.

That said, it was quite an impressive display of pixel work the likes of which I have never seen.  Too bad about the subject matter.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

I don't really mind much the use of religious symbols in those manners. I'm used to seeing worse stuff. But I agree with what seems to be the opinion of most people: the animation is awesome, but not much else. And the flashing was just plain annoying and probably harmful to a handful of people with epilepsy problems. There should be a warning there.

The biggest problem is that all the characters that show up barely get much screen time before we jump to the next random bit. I wanted to see a fight against that Chiuaua Cerberus, but he got blown up 1 second after his introduction.

I've heard that the dude basically dumped a lot of random unrelated stuff that he had wipped out in the last months into the movie, but I can't be sure.

I also wish he would team up with a coder and make an awesome game out of all that talent and love for old-school gaming.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »

I don't really mind much the use of religious symbols in those manners. I'm used to seeing worse stuff.

I've seen lots worse too, and not been offended by it.  This is different, though.  There's no message here.  It's just disrespectful for no other reason than to be edgy.  It's a complete pretense for being "in your face," which is a disgusting reason to do anything, let alone bash on every religion at once.

Don't get me wrong, I'm decidedly anti-religion.  But this just struck a nerve with me.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic