Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 04, 2024, 12:25:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUsing Flash for Indie Games?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Using Flash for Indie Games?  (Read 28852 times)
mesotes
Level 0

<3

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »

Ive never seen any "Indie Flash games", how come?
Is it something not to be considered seriously?
Or is it just overlooked?

Oh please enlighten me! thank you Smiley
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:07:53 AM »

There was a huge discussion about this not long ago. I don't think anyone came to a consensus though  :D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »

Ive never seen any "Indie Flash games", how come?

You haven't looked hard enough, then. N is one of the more famous indie games, and it's made in Flash. There's also Dinorun, Aether, Dofus, tons of others. I wouldn't even say they're overlooked, because you're the first person I've encountered who doesn't know there are Flash indie games.

mesotes
Level 0

<3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »

ouch. of course N >_<. I know that one. Dinorun too.
Strange that they didnt came to my mind, but thanks for pointing them out.

Thought so that there was already a discussion somewhere Smiley.
thanks.
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »

ever heard about McMillen? Smiley
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »

99% of Flash games are indie? As in made by independent developers. Or do you have some special requirements before you can call your game Indie?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:27:04 AM by hatu » Logged
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »

I've actually thought about switching from GM to Flash a lot lately.  Maybe I will...

It'll definitely be easier to get cash from the games in Flash.

Jeff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »

Samorost and flOw are two big ones.

AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »

This is funny, I kinda though the opposite in that most of the indie games were made in flash...

Im curious if there has ever been a poll on what everyone develops in?

We (the team) are personally using GameMaker at the moment, but are always looking at getting onto other platforms including in-browser.

What would be the top 5 programs/engines?
Gamemaker? Flash? Multimedia Fusion? umm... 1 of the million other 2D or 3D game engines out there? a Java engine? Brain freeze...

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »

90% of the game i do are flash.

flash is a great way for indies to make ok money off their work.. i highly recommend everyone jumps on board (its also an awesome graphics tool).

the reason why flash games dont stand out as much or get as much indie press is because 99% of flash games are total shit and very casual.

the most notable indie flash games are Alien Hominid and N... but there are really a ton of indie flash games that have done really really well online, i wish i were the moon and the majesty of colors have both really made the rounds recently and got a ton of critical praise and millions of plays online.

to give you a basic idea of the kind of exposure you can get from releasing your game in flash... Aether has had almost 2 million plays in the past 3 months a quite a lot of mainstream press... meat boy on the other hand is closing in on 8 million plays and continues to rise.

the audience for flash games is out there, a lot of people here cant seem to see pasts tig Smiley. the opinions you see here and games that are posted are just a tiny fraction of the indie games that are being made today.. its a scene really, theres a whole other world out there thats just as indie, just a slightly different flavor.

-Edmund
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:51:13 PM »

Flash is great cause its easy to get a lot of exposure and easy to make a chunk of money off of.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »

Flash is great cause its easy to get a lot of exposure and easy to make a chunk of money off of.

way to paraphrase you SOB!
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »

Great post Edmund! We do have a project in the line that will be developed in flash, so its good to get some insider knowledge before we embark down that path, just need to find some experienced flash developers who work for peanuts Smiley We have your standard salted but are looking at upgrading to roasted or maybe even honey roasted at some stage Wink

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »

Great post Edmund! We do have a project in the line that will be developed in flash, so its good to get some insider knowledge before we embark down that path, just need to find some experienced flash developers who work for peanuts Smiley We have your standard salted but are looking at upgrading to roasted or maybe even honey roasted at some stage Wink

yeah i welcome any questions about flash and how to make money off your games. infact ill actually help anyone who needs money find a good sponsor and tell them the best way to make money off their game when its release.

ive been doing flash games for a livin for the past 3 years, i know my way around this stuff and im more then happy to help anyone else who needs info.
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:32 PM »

Edmund: That's a very generous offer, Ill keep that in mind for when we are at that stage, thanks!

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »

I wish there were more flash games. it has such potential to create games that with gorgeous animation, but it seems to do so then whoever is creating it has to be an extremly good artist, animator, and programmer. however, if they can pull it off, the result is phenomenal!!!.

The fact that it is on your broser is another added bonus.

also, if we talk about flash games, check out Sparky's starguard, because it is in flash, and it is awesome.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »

I wish there were more flash games. it has such potential to create games that with gorgeous animation, but it seems to do so then whoever is creating it has to be an extremly good artist, animator, and programmer.

Personaly i wish there were less Smiley newgrounds.com gets about 10+ new flash game submissions a day only 1-2 are actually worth checking out and only a few a month are really worth playing for more then a few minutes.

its strange how the "indie" games scene doesnt really count flash games as much as they should. i might go through and list off some really solid flash games here after i do some research Smiley because there are probably 2 times more well made flash games online then gamemaker.. and the flash community is in the millions.

again to sum up what ive been saying, flash games dont get respect because most of the games that are in flash are very casual (bejeweled type crap fests) so the really well made flash games get lost in the shuffle a bit. but the fact is WAY more can be done in flash that can be done in gamemaker, and you can also make a living off your games in flash.. not something thats really possible in gamemaker.

Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

I wish there were more flash games. it has such potential to create games that with gorgeous animation, but it seems to do so then whoever is creating it has to be an extremly good artist, animator, and programmer.

Personaly i wish there were less Smiley newgrounds.com gets about 10+ new flash game submissions a day only 1-2 are actually worth checking out and only a few a month are really worth playing for more then a few minutes.

its strange how the "indie" games scene doesnt really count flash games as much as they should. i might go through and list off some really solid flash games here after i do some research Smiley because there are probably 2 times more well made flash games online then gamemaker.. and the flash community is in the millions.

again to sum up what ive been saying, flash games dont get respect because most of the games that are in flash are very casual (bejeweled type crap fests) so the really well made flash games get lost in the shuffle a bit. but the fact is WAY more can be done in flash that can be done in gamemaker, and you can also make a living off your games in flash.. not something thats really possible in gamemaker.

This is truth.

I haven't really done much in gamemaker, but from what it seems, flash also has a faster dev cycle.  To my knowledge, there's pretty much nothing in gamemaker that can't be done with Flash, and the engine just keeps getting faster and faster.  I guess the problem with Flash is that it is everywhere, which means that bad Flash content gets much more attention than any mediocre gamemaker game could, therefore giving people a bad impression of Flash games in general.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »

The strength of Flash(visibility) is probably why people think most Flash games are crap. There are as much or even more crap games made in any language/program, but you only get to see the best because no one wants to download and install a game unless it looks really good.
With Flash it's in your face when you click a link and you get to witness the disappointment first-hand.

Edmund, mind if I ask what Flash you've done?
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 06:30:39 AM »

Really the number of Game Maker games that are total shite isn't all that different if you go through all the Yoyo Games entries. There's an awful lot of shit in there. It just isn't as visible or popular as a place like Newgrounds.

And the fact of the matter is that more and more people realise the power of creating a totally crap flash game and some making money out of it, regardless of the quality. Flash has very visible trends, for example, when Tower Defense games became popular, there was a large increase in the number of people that created shameless clones to get them sponsored. I've always been surprised at some of the total crud that gets millions upon millions of plays on Newgrounds, which sortof makes me wonder about the average age of a Newgrounds user.

I've always been a big supporter of quality Flash personally and I just don't think (most) people are prepared to look deep enough to find the real gems. Pixeljam (Dino Run), Nitrome, Brade Borne (Fancy Pants), Alillm and Amanita Design are just some.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic