Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: NESIA

May 09, 2024, 08:01:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG XXII: Checkmate in three moves [CHECKMATE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG XXII: Checkmate in three moves [CHECKMATE]  (Read 11289 times)
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

Wow... my head is killing me. I think I drank far, far too much. I may have hit my head, I feel a bit giddy. What a terrible hangover.

Where the heck am I?

It was definitely a wild Knight out last night.

We were out celebrating the recent promotion of one of the Pawns. Although I have to say that his promotion definitely got to his head- he started strutting about like a Queen, as if he owned the place. Still, it was fun. Everywhere you could see, someone had a drink of some sort. The pawns were doubled and barely able to move, and even the Bishops were well and truly fiancettoed, and they're the ones who usually never change their colours.

Even the King and Rook had castled more than once, and you know that nothing can get in their way when they do that.

The Queen had obviously had far too much to drink, and was all over the place, giving the Bishop and Rooks a hard time for not being able to keep up with her. But a few words from the Knight mellowed her up somewhat. We all have our talents.

I saw a couple of cute pawns en passant, and despite a quick clothing J'adoube, their minds were elsewhere. They just stood there, stubbornly waiting for me to get out of the way. I think one may have been stuck against the wall, unable to find the door. In the end, one of them put the moves on me when I stepped to the side; you can never really tell what those pawns are thinking. My gambit paid off in the end though, and I hardly broke my tempo. I had hoped to fork the two of them, but more pressing matters arose.

Anyway, it was time to pay the bar tab, and wouldn't you know it, but as soon as the check appeared the King was nowhere to be seen. You know what he's like, always letting someone else take the check or doing anything to avoid it. Anyway, I was pretty much pinned on the matter, so I just took care of it. It was a small sacrifice to make, I guess. Besides, the King's pretty helpless at the end of the day, and you know how you just feel that irrational urge to protect him?

As the evening went on, we finished off going bar hopping with the Knights.

Hang on a second, something's not right. There are now twice as many people here than I started out drinking with. I had expected to find myself amongst my allies: A King, a Queen, a Rook, a Bishop, a Knight, and a Pawn. That's six, not twelve. We may have gotten mixed up with the pieces from the "other" kingdom. You know the one I mean, the bad one. The one that isn't us.

I have the feeling that there will soon be the need to make a capture. I had planned to direct my attention toward a random person who hadn't yet made a move, but if we can remain silent this first day, perhaps that is for the best.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Garthy has earned the following achievement:

Hurricane of Puns
+150 Points!
"It is said that he who dares to unlock this achievement twice, the Handmaster will sever his head without question!"

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »

Don't worry, I'll keep my actions in check, mate. Smiley
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »

Well said, Sir Garthy -- unless you are a pawn, or a queen, or the enemy of course. May our forces go to victory against whomever we were fighting against!
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »

Yes, death to the forces of the opposite colour! I think we can all agree on that.
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

Ah, what a sterling day it is today lads!
Bandages
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »

Oh bugger

Do I really have to sort through all these humdrum persons for my comrades?

That's cocks and a half, I say.
Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:52 AM »

Greetings, everyone. The day's almost over, so here's a nice cup of tea for us all. Wait, who are you again? Doesn't matter. Long live the King.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »

Our checkered past seems to have been erased... perhaps this could finally be an opportunity to cast aside our differences and create a new world where black and white can live in harmony?

Only kidding.  Death to those people who aren't us!

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »

And thus, with no one hung, the sun has set itself rapidly. The darkness seems like a veil to the whole world. It is time for rest while waiting for a brighter day tomorrow... yeah right, it is time for violence and intrigue.

EVERYONE. ACTIONS. NOW

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »

DAY 2

Last night was dark. As if your entire world had been placed in a hug cardboard box. But now it is bright again, as if you had been put out of said metaphorical cardboard box. You and your fellows gather around, looking to see what has transpired during the night.

You find out that one of your mates has stained his shirts red. You wonder if he just had too much wine. But then you rememeber no wine is available here. The bastard! He got some one and failed to share with you and your other mates! And he refuses to wake up! Such a lazy ass.

You proceed to go to his place, and kick him a bit in hope of waking him up and eventually steal his wine. But he fails to wake up. You then notice that he has a new shiny accesory in his chest. It seems a like blade shaped ornament emerging from there. ARGH! He got some fine stuff all for himself. You decided to borrow hos blade like ornament. When you draw it from the chest, you notice more wine emerges from him.

You suddendly make the connection that what he has on his shirt is not really wine, and that his ornament isnt really an ornament. You drop in the balde in surprise.

DACKE HAS BEEN MURDERED

NEW EVENT: PEASANT UPRISING
It seems Pawns hve grown weary of participating in a war that concerns them little. Because of that, some of them have decided to rennounce their former affiliations, and form a Grey Rebellion. Said Pawns no longer serve a Kingdom per se. Their new goal in life is to survive at least until the war is over, to start over. They no longer can be redirected by thir Kings, nor they have any concern towards the Kingdoms. Ot would be a good idea for the regents to still persuade them to direct their votes so their side has a bigger chance of success.

SOME PAWNS HAVE GONE GREY

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »

Let these treacherous treasonous traitors be tormented with terrible torture, to punish these pawn's most pressing and petrifying petty plan!

We shall defend with duty and determination our Divine dignitaries, the King and Queen!
Bandages
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

A rebellious citizen is no friend of mine

Shall we...

Begin the murders?  Evil
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »

Such terrible things! These people are traitors to our king and also another, less fantastic and classy king -- we must smite them with the very "balde" used to kill Dacke, my close friend and/or bitter rival! After all, though he probably had a checkered past, I'll always think of him as having possibly been my mate.

LandsharkRAWR was quite open about the possibility of "random knight stabbings" yesterday; I would like to see him explain this.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »

Autothysis, so apt to assault and attack your acquaintances and allies, to allay suspicion of association?

Well, I insinuate you to be an insurgent yourself... I impugn your integrity, indeed.

Attest to your allegiance, Autothysis! Convince me of your constancy to the crown!
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

It wasn't a suggestion so much as an assumption...

WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »

Hm, an interesting development. I'll be keeping my eyes out as I have a few suspicions about a couple people...
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »

Okay. It seems a fair assumption that with six players per side, each of the six roles is represented. Although with the peasant uprising, I wonder if there are maybe more than two pawns. But I'll assume one of each role for now.

Now, unless I am mistaken, the two Queens are the only ones whose attacks have publicly visible results. There are also two Kings able to redirect. This means that one Queen fired off an attack, and either targeted Dacke; or the King on the *same* side picked the Queen and redirected the attack *to* Dacke. So, one person out there wanted to hit Dacke specifically.

There is also another Queen out there, who either did not attack, or had the attack lost through some combination of Pawn or Rook actions, or via the King on the same side. Somebody out there might have a clue what happened, but the rest of us don't.

In any case, the Queen (or Queens) are probably shooting blind at this point. I'd say that they both probably decided to attack this turn, as cold as it would be, since from the perspective of each, there are more enemies out there than allies. Basically, the odds are with them if they attacked randomly. So, somebody probably stopped one of the Queen attacks, but the other got through.

And there are now two people out there (two Bishops) who have some basic clues on what people might be. The Knights may also have some information about who is targeting who, if they chose well. As time goes on, the Bishops and Knights will get more and more information.

Did I miss anything?

One question I'd like to ask, in public:

Is there cardflip on death, ie. do we get allegiences or roles on death? I notice that we don't know anything more about Dacke's role.

Now, in any case, with a mandatory execution on the way, we all have to pick someone to lynch. I'm going to publicly state my plan for today here: I am going to start out with a randomly chosen person who hasn't yet spoken today, and shift it to another randomly chosen non-speaking person if they speak, and leave it with them for the day. So:

Wade McGillis, I choose you. Nothing personal on my part, and I have no idea if you are friend or foe. If you speak before the end of the day, I'll pick another target who hasn't yet spoken today.

(Oh, and I reserve the right to change my plan if it becomes necessary- this is just what I plan for now)

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »

Inanimate, your lengthy lascivious linguistics liberally loosed upon us lends lively lightheartedness.
Bandages
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »

Attest to your allegiance, Autothysis! Convince me of your constancy to the crown!

And invite a knife in the back from some roguish queen during the night? I'd rather not, sire.

With at least two hostile factions out there, my allegiance will have to be discovered, not announced.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic