Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:11:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 207254 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »

Game's looking outstanding. Love the simple graphics. Keep up the good work. P.S. Adding an inventory is a lot of work, but I like the feeling of filling it up with items. Although, you can usually gauge how far through the game you are by how many essential slots you've filled. Kind of a downer when you know you're near the end. Anyway, carry on!  Smiley

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »

If I had my midi controller/synth with me I'd ask if you needed music or sound fx or somethin.

I have my midi controller/synth with me.  If you're wondering.
I'll probably put up a public demo once my composer finishes some songs for the game!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 04:18:37 AM »

Unfortunately, there wont be much of an 'inventory' per se, but you can certainly see your collected items in the HUD. The 'pause menu' will look something like this:

As you see, the map eats a lot of space although technically I could go the Super Metroid way and include subpages. Don't know if that's really necessary, though.

If I had my midi controller/synth with me I'd ask if you needed music or sound fx or somethin.

I have my midi controller/synth with me.  If you're wondering.
I'll probably put up a public demo once my composer finishes some songs for the game!

Yeah, I've already got a composer. Thanks all the same. Smiley

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »

You could also add scrolling, but that size looks fine.

I like how we got a nice metriodvania discussion out of this. Lots of fun.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

You could also add scrolling, but that size looks fine.

Yeah, scrolling could be a possibility, but personally I'm not a huge fan of it. I like a more compact design.

To continue the metroidvania talk, what kind of puzzles have you enjoyed in metroidvanias? The game currently consists mostly either of just plain fighting or jumping 'puzzles', but I can't think of any interesting actual puzzles that could go well with the design. Pushing blocks is a safe bet but that's kinda old and boring. Any ideas?

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »

I've always enjoyed figuring out how to use the abilities I have to get to my objective. Fusion was really good about this- you would often times find speed boost blocks in a place where speed boosting seemed impossible, and it would take some clever navigation to make it through the blocks with your boost intact.

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

This is only tenuously related to puzzles, but I've always loved abilities having a couple of really obscure uses that most players may never see. After years of playing the game, I seriously just found out today that the Wheel ability in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror can travel on hills situated on the ceiling; a bit of level design that barely ever shows up in the game at all, and is never necessary. You could have the grappling hook interact in particular ways with certain enemies, for instance.

It's a pretty cliche thing to say, but it's totally true - even if most players won't ever see it at all, it can really add to the experience.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »

Remember, stick with what works. Don't say "Block puzzles are old, so I will use something else." Say "Block puzzles are old, so how can I make them more interesting?" You could add moving platforms to your block puzzles. Make your grappling hook interact with the blocks in some way.

Also, the things many people don't see are great. Like in Kirby 64, you can hold stuff above your head in order to throw it. Some enemies will do useful stuff on your head though, like most projectiles trowing enemies will keep shooting stuff that can kill other enemies.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »

You should try making an enemy you could use the grapple hook on Shocked

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »

Something like that ground-worm spazzing out and dragging you around with it would be baller.
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »

Sooo... Any ETA on demo?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 02:00:36 AM »

Unfortunately no; the code is quite much ready for that but my composer is in a great hurry so estimates on when he finishes the needed tracks are a bit unclear.

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »

But you're just waiting for the soundtrack, right?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »

But you're just waiting for the soundtrack, right?

Yeah, the areas I intend to include in the demo are finished.

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »

Hey did I ever told you the story of how I became deaf?

Oh well I tried atleast...
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »

Hello.

I'm really looking forward to this. 

Ever since Officer Alfred I've been following your work, and this is shaping up to be my most favourite of all your games so far.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »

This looks quite lovely and I want to play it. I had seen the gifs around, but I'm not sure how I missed this devlog

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »

I've been stuck with the underwater area - player's slow movement and awkward controlling makes designing interesting rooms quite difficult. It's not helped by the fact that I'm slightly out of ideas as to what kind of puzzles/challenges the area should have.

Here's a super-cool visualization:

The red blob represents areas that are quite much done, and the blue blob represents this underwater sector which is causing problems. Good thing it's small!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »

Make it take place in/around tubes? Water areas need tubes, and you can make them any size you dang want!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »

Do like Cave Story and add currents to toss you about. Exploiting them would mean faster movement and access to hidden areas.

You could also add some sort of extremely powerful enemy - being chased while running slowly through an underwater maze would be pretty crazy. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic