Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:35:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMASOCHISIA | The Long-Tail (Fall, Christmas & Lunar Sale Stats)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: MASOCHISIA | The Long-Tail (Fall, Christmas & Lunar Sale Stats)  (Read 75163 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2015, 06:58:23 AM »

...and when the tension gets to me, the sweet repression...

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:01 AM »

I call for her. She will always come for me...

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »

Then I find beautiful release... She will save me. She always has...

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2015, 07:07:50 AM »

Waaagh!
powerful art as always friend, keep going
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »

Waaagh!
powerful art as always friend, keep going

Thanks EddCoast! That's really the reaction I'm hoping it achieves. Someone on Twitter commented that it's a very intense image, which I find interesting because it's not "extreme" in any true sense. It's literally just a needle and only a tiny amount of blood, but it somehow feels more intense than something gorey. Which is really what this "game" is trying to achieve I suppose...

...who says we're all desensitized to violence?

This is the mechanic I've been referencing earlier in the devlog. The girl (Grace) provides you with a handful of "magic needles" which the player can use to (literally) save themself from a hallucination that is preparing to attack. Using the needles will fire a basic scene that will display the action of using the needles and will reset the players sanity. Sort of a "get out jail free" card for times of necessity...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »

It doesn't have to be extreme to be intense (extreme might easily just turn into disgusting rather than intense, making you lose interest). This seems way more powerful psychologically.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »

It's literally just a needle and only a tiny amount of blood, but it somehow feels more intense than something gorey. Which is really what this "game" is trying to achieve I suppose...

It doesn't feel more gorey to me and I actually prefer it that way. Razor blades and such would've been too much for me.

The concept of Grace saving you is interesting. Looking forward to the next character from the cast.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »

It doesn't have to be extreme to be intense (extreme might easily just turn into disgusting rather than intense, making you lose interest). This seems way more powerful psychologically.

Thanks for the feedback Prinsessa. You've been very dedicated to providing a lot of feedback throughout this devlog, so just wanted to say thanks. I do want to note that there will be some "extreme" moments coming later in the game. In a "game" about discovering you will become a violent psychopath, you have to expect that lines will be crossed at some point. The idea is that the player will actually feel bad about what they're doing, even though its just a game. If I can get even just a few people to actually think about what they're doing and start asking questions, I would be pleased with this game...

It doesn't feel more gorey to me and I actually prefer it that way. Razor blades and such would've been too much for me.

The concept of Grace saving you is interesting. Looking forward to the next character from the cast.

Well, it's based on a true story. If razorblades were what was used, then it would have been razorblades. It just so happened though that it was needles...

As far as next characters, I'm actually about done with the character reveals. I've actually completed all of the characters at this point but I haven't shown all of them. There aren't too many characters in the game. The Angel (Michael) evolves over the course of the game so I haven't really shown any of his transformations, they may feel a bit "spoiler" to show but this devlog is really quite full of spoilers so I'm sure they will go up at some point further down the road...

DEVLOG 42.

A few thoughts on where I'm at currently...

I've created a first-pass on the mechanics and art for what occurs when the Player is taking their medication. In the first alpha demo, you clicked an icon called "PILLS" and you saw the sanity increase back to normal as you took more medication. That mechanic remains the same, but the icons been officially updated and now a small series of images will appear that will sort of quickly simulate the action of consuming the medication...

The images are meant to represent a sort-of "first person" perspective on what you're doing...

Just a few pills, that's all I need...

Here is a look at it "in action":

Mechanically it works...

It's far too simplistic!

Yes, it is a bit overly-simplistic but almost everything about this game is mechanically very simplistic. So I think maybe keeping that "less is more" approach here is what I need to do...

It could use more frames...

That I do agree with. But it's a work-in-progress. This is just a first pass.

For those interested, you can preview some of the music you will hear in the next demo. Give it a listen:

https://db.tt/D2P7fjlK

I'm aiming to have the Alpha II demo done in the next few days. This will still just be playing through Act 1 of the game but it will include a lot of changes. So for those of you who haven't tested it before, it will be a good time to give the demo a try and for those who've already played through the demo, will be a good chance to see if the changes I've made are actually working...

Will post another devlog in the next few days once the new demo is live and available for download.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »

I like that "magic" needles, and auto-punishment as well. I'm eager to see more "disgusting" things, the moral dilemmas in games are a great incentive for me (Megaton's nuclear bomb in Fallout 3...) And about the pill animation, I don't think that the animation needs more frames, you can try a scale tween or something like that (just a suggestion).

And about the music, I like it, it's really immersive, but I will give you a far better feedback as soon as I hear it inside the game Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2015, 01:00:03 AM »

Yeah, the animation looks good.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »

Wow, just read through the devlog and I am enraptured by this game. I was immediately drawn in by the concept; really felt a connection to what you're doing here. I just played the alpha and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the game. I know it's an extremely personal project for you, but if you find you need any assistance on the game, I would love to be a part of this. I think it's a compelling experience that will have a big impact on people. I especially appreciate the delineation you make in the devlog of scaring players vs. unsettling them, and how that distinction is important.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback.

@karlozalb: Don't worry, there will be some dark things and a few... "moral dilemmas"...

Honestly, I've tried to always structure all the dialogue for every character in a way that allows the player to respond to almost everything either by embracing their darker side or by fighting it so technically as you interact with the different characters you may find that (while the gameplay doesnt really change), your experience with characters may...

@TopherPirkl: Thanks for reading the devlog and the very encouraging feedback. It is certainly a personal project but I hope that it does have an impact on people that play it. I don't even need it to be a positive impact, just something that makes them stop and think, and question...

You guys have some great stuff on soundcloud. Excellent work! I'm working with a friend on the music and he is doing a great job, but as I dig deeper into the game- may need assistance with sound at some point so I will definitely keep you in mind. Appreciate the offer of assistance.

In other news...

...Alpha II hits on Friday...

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »

In other news...

haha, what a cliffhanger!
Transmission
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »

Wow this has really come a long way since I last saw your initial ideas.   I think the art style is really unique and the vibe is cool.    Keep it up!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:25:23 AM by Transmission » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »

Wow this has really come a long way since I last your initial ideas.   I think the art style is really unique and the vibe is cool.    Keep it up!

This is why you need to stay more active on TIG man... (and I can get my Transmission fixes)...

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »

@TopherPirkl: Thanks for reading the devlog and the very encouraging feedback. It is certainly a personal project but I hope that it does have an impact on people that play it. I don't even need it to be a positive impact, just something that makes them stop and think, and question...

You guys have some great stuff on soundcloud. Excellent work! I'm working with a friend on the music and he is doing a great job, but as I dig deeper into the game- may need assistance with sound at some point so I will definitely keep you in mind. Appreciate the offer of assistance.

In other news...

I'm just a sound designer myself, and my demo reel hasn't gotten posted yet, but I'll pass on your kind words to my business partner (the composer)! I think the music I've heard sounds like it's really on-point for the game experience you're going for. Really kind of reminds me of some of the more quietly tense musical elements from the early Silent Hill games.

Also I get what you mean about not necessarily needing to provide a "positive" experience. I actually recently had a similar conversation with a co-worker; I'm a live theater technician 'by day', and the show I'm currently working on is getting really mixed responses. He was sort of upset that it was making some audience members so mad or upset that they'd leave at intermission-- I'm more of the mindset that it's an indication that the show is making them think, and they don't like the results of their thinking. I feel like if you've drawn an emotional response from someone, whether good or bad, you've at least succeeded in opening their mind to consider something they hadn't before, and that can be a difficult goal to achieve.

Really looking forward to the next alpha build! Can't come soon enough.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2015, 04:56:53 AM »

DEVLOG 43.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who played the Alpha launched last month. Your feedback, suggestions and ideas were all hugely helpful. The Alpha II is now also available for download. To clarify, the Alpha II is still just a demo of “Act 1”. There is some new content, but if don’t go in expecting to find the demo now includes Act 2... It does not…

If you’ve played the first demo, this would be a good chance to test the new demo and see what all has changed, additionally- I need to know if these changes are actually working. Feedback! If you haven’t played the demo yet? Download it.

It’s fucking free…

So my goal was to launch the Alpha II one month after the Alpha I. Technically, that is happening. I also hoped to include some new content and already be well on my way into Act 2. Unfortunately, that did not happen. There was unexpected refactoring and a lot more polish and fixes than I initially planned. Here is a list of the changes and improvements in the ALPHA II:

● Added a build for Linux
● New Progression system back-end (doesn’t impact gameplay)
● Music throughout the whole demo
● New “pill popping” mechanics
● More "voice in your head" conversations and "ending conversations" with Walter & Mother
● Inventory updates. Can now be accessed by either pressing I or moving the cursor over inventory
● Optimization. Figuring out ways to make the game run better, particularly on smaller machines
● Faster outdoor environment movement speed
● Reducing some of the SFX by about 30%
● New system to make it easier to see where each exit leads
● Dialogue update (additions, subtractions, changes, grammatical corrections etc)
● Item art updates. There will be actual pill bottle icons, better "medication" art etc.
● “Loading” prompts. Other misc. bug fixes, level tweaks and changes etc etc.

Download it…

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »

I downloaded this new version. Here are my comments:
1. New music feels like a great addition and fitting.
2. I'd be neat to have voice overs instead of text (for me anyway).
3. I like the numbers for dialogue options. Sort of like Baldur's Gate. Nice addition.
4. Still nothing in the cellar.
5. Replacing the creaking door sound when coming up from the cellar would be a nice addition. Footsteps on creaking wooden stairs.
6. Yay for faster scrolling, that was much needed.
7. You might consider adding arrows on the side of the screen to indicate that you can scroll in that direction.
8. I wish dialogue choices had more of an impact. I don't like dialogue options which lead to the same result no matter what. The illusion of choice becomes irrelevant in my opinion.
9. I would implement an option to quicktravel. Like a map where you click to go to a location where you've already been.
10. The portrait are really cool. You nailed the ambiance of the house perfectly.
11. Sometimes moving all the way to the edge of a screen with the keyboard will make you change screen automatically. At other times, it won't.
12. Personally I would prefer a game than to interactive fiction but that's just me. You've put in place an inventory system, might as well use it.
13. The entrance to the attic looks like it's concealed but you can highlight it with your mouse.
14. I took the pills twice for the shaking to stop. I don't know if I was supposed to take them only once or twice.
15. I pressed "E" to speed up the dialogue but it just skipped it instead... Would be nice if pressing once would show all of the dialogue and twice move on to the next bit of dialogue.
16. I thought it was odd how the boy just disappeared suddenly. Maybe adding a sfx would help.

Then I finished the demo.

Z.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »

Ok, downloaded. I've not got chance tonight but I'll have a play through tomorrow and give you some first impressions. Hopefully they'll help!

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »

....I'm not the only one who thinks this is more of an acid trip than a game, right...?  Epileptic
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic