Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411548 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:47:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCan you tell us your opinion on the indie game we are making (trailer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Can you tell us your opinion on the indie game we are making (trailer)  (Read 1674 times)
yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »

We just released our first trailer:
http://ljis17.com/media/

Last Jungle In Sector 17 is a top-view 2D action strategy game, taking place in open space. The goal of the game is to defend your base and survive the enemy assault. The player starts out with a single fighter craft which he controls with keyboard and mouse. As the events progress he also gains access to defense turrets, tactical structures, allied crafts and different upgrades.

So tell us what you think? Any advice would be welcomed Smiley
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »

Looks interesting, a few thoughts though:

1. Is the trailer music custom done or licensed properly? I would of sworn I've heard it elsewhere but I'm not positive.

2. I feel like most of the unit art really isn't very readable at the current sizes.

yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »

Looks interesting, a few thoughts though:

1. Is the trailer music custom done or licensed properly? I would of sworn I've heard it elsewhere but I'm not positive.

2. I feel like most of the unit art really isn't very readable at the current sizes.

1. Licensed from one indie music site
2. It may look small, but really, when you play, it's quite easy to understand.
bitserum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:29 AM »

Seems good enough to me. I wonder however how easy/hard is it to discern my ship when there's a swarm of ships going on screen? Hard to tell from just video.

Anyway, overall looks like good fun, and I love the shield/energy effects!
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:12 AM »

hard to give feedback on a video alone. as mentioned before, it looks like it could be hard seeing your own ship. could not quite see if pixel art or raytraced, but i assume the former? if it was the latter i would recommend giving the ships a bit of an angle, then it would not all look so flat. the ships are all very small, i would like to see larger attacking ships with multiple weapon systems.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »

2. It may look small, but really, when you play, it's quite easy to understand.
Yes I don't doubt this. Just it looks to me like you have 3d renders at low resolution, and basically the details just end up unreadable at that scale. I'm sure the video trailer has a hit on clarity to, but thats what I can see from it.

yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:46 AM »

Seems good enough to me. I wonder however how easy/hard is it to discern my ship when there's a swarm of ships going on screen? Hard to tell from just video.

Anyway, overall looks like good fun, and I love the shield/energy effects!

Since your ship is ALWAYS in the middle of the screen, it isn't a problem.
yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

hard to give feedback on a video alone. as mentioned before, it looks like it could be hard seeing your own ship. could not quite see if pixel art or raytraced, but i assume the former? if it was the latter i would recommend giving the ships a bit of an angle, then it would not all look so flat. the ships are all very small, i would like to see larger attacking ships with multiple weapon systems.

The ships are made in vector, but are designed for current size. We are considering zoom function, where when the ship is speeding up the camera zooms out and vice versa. But it will only zoom in like 10% or smth, cause the ships graphics will otherwise get bad.

Here's a snap from bigger craft:
http://i.imgur.com/Edj2cgE.png
jontunn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »

Cool looking concept, I definitely want to play it. Sort of like a free form space/tower defense. I'm going to agree with the hard to tell everything apart comments. It may make more sense when you are actually playing, but based on the video you are trying to use to get people excited about the game, that stands out as an issue to me. I feel like you will have a lot more success if people can tell what's going on by watching the video.

yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »

Cool looking concept, I definitely want to play it. Sort of like a free form space/tower defense. I'm going to agree with the hard to tell everything apart comments. It may make more sense when you are actually playing, but based on the video you are trying to use to get people excited about the game, that stands out as an issue to me. I feel like you will have a lot more success if people can tell what's going on by watching the video.

Thank you for your feedback, I will remember it for the next trailer.
Hendrix06
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

I really like the concept of this game and echo the wanting to give it a try comment. As has been said it becomes a bit hard to tell everything apart in the video but I'm sure this is a complete non issue when playing and controlling for yourself.

A few comments on the trailer: It honestly could have been maybe a good 30 seconds shorter. I felt by halfway through I was seeing a lot of of filler and certain bits of text that were a bit unnecessary. For example, "Be quick and you survive", "Be slow and you perish" are fairly obvious things in this type of game and don't really tell anything about it. Same with "Attack when they're weak". I'd stick to text that hammers out the features and main draws of the game, especially for one trying to build hype. Other than that I thought the trailer was great looking, the music fit well, and it looked professional.

yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »

I really like the concept of this game and echo the wanting to give it a try comment. As has been said it becomes a bit hard to tell everything apart in the video but I'm sure this is a complete non issue when playing and controlling for yourself.

A few comments on the trailer: It honestly could have been maybe a good 30 seconds shorter. I felt by halfway through I was seeing a lot of of filler and certain bits of text that were a bit unnecessary. For example, "Be quick and you survive", "Be slow and you perish" are fairly obvious things in this type of game and don't really tell anything about it. Same with "Attack when they're weak". I'd stick to text that hammers out the features and main draws of the game, especially for one trying to build hype. Other than that I thought the trailer was great looking, the music fit well, and it looked professional.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Truth be told, the last message "Attack when they're weak" came a little hastily from us, we had the trailer ready but we didn't have a good last message so we just went with that. However if you think you have a good idea for the last message, let us know. If we use it, we'll add you to the honorary list on our site: http://ljis17.com/honorary_list/ Smiley
bitserum
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »

I think what Hendrix06 meant is to go in a different direction with trailer texts. Instead of the current ones, try "selling" the game's strong points.

For example "Over 50 unique upgrades" or "Completely procedural enemy behavior".
Those may not be good examples for your game, but information such as that would better highlight what your game offers to the player.
yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »

I think what Hendrix06 meant is to go in a different direction with trailer texts. Instead of the current ones, try "selling" the game's strong points.

For example "Over 50 unique upgrades" or "Completely procedural enemy behavior".
Those may not be good examples for your game, but information such as that would better highlight what your game offers to the player.

tnx, noted.
Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »

The video looks great and so does the artwork! I hope you guys make it!

// Johan

yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »

The video looks great and so does the artwork! I hope you guys make it!

// Johan

Tnx for your encouragements Smiley
Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

Melting Brains With Sound Waves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

This game looks pretty awesome. I watched the video without sound tho, so my impressions are limited. But I bookmarked your site and I bookmark like 0,5% of the games I see in this dense gaming jungle...  Smiley
yodalr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

This game looks pretty awesome. I watched the video without sound tho, so my impressions are limited. But I bookmarked your site and I bookmark like 0,5% of the games I see in this dense gaming jungle...  Smiley

We feel honored Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic