Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:55:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe financial genius indie game developer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: The financial genius indie game developer  (Read 5509 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »

Make the game. Make it good. Have good gameplay. Then figure out how you're best going to show that and sell the game.
It's the hardest part, any tutorials/articles/guides/threads/advice/tips?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »

i'd suggest treating your own game like a player. ask yourself what you like about your game, why you like to play it. or ask your playtesters what they like about the game, and why they like to play it. ask them (and yourself, as a player of your own game) why you prefer your game over other games similar to it

then, focus your marketing on the answers to the above questions. focus the trailer and ads on those answers. try to portray those answers in as short and clear a form as is possible

example: with immortal defense, this is what people liked about the game:

- they were engrossed by the story, they always wanted to see what happened next, even sometimes skipping the levels just to see what came next in the story. they especially liked the ending (although for obvious reasons that is hard to "advertise" without spoiling it)

- the gameplay was addicting, they liked the idea of short quick levels, they liked the variety of towers and that they were very different from tower types in other tower defense games

- they liked the "atmosphere" of it -- the trippy visuals and music, which felt very different from other TD games

so in my trailer and advertisements/marketing stuff, i tried to focus on those things. it's hard to actually convey the complexities of the gameplay in a 1-2 minute trailer however, so i tended to focus more on the visuals/music/story in that. but i tried to at least show a few of the interesting things you could do with the tower types and the charge attacks as well.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »

thanks Paul, that's very informative. Gonna ask some ppl then  Grin

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:30 PM »

Nice one paul

How many did you sold ,
and what system did you used?

Did you sent your game to IGN , gametrailers , stuff like that to help the promotion ? Did it helped ? (i guess so )

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »

i didn't actually count how many i sold. but i'd guess it's somewhere between 2000 and 3000 copies

i used game maker

yes, my game was reviewed by an IGN blog, and had its trailer on gametrailers. you can see a full list of reviews of the game on the game's site: http://immortaldefense.com -- i think it's under the press section or something

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »

Thanks a lot for the infos
2000 and 3000 are huge , it's really cool to see indie games sells like that
If the each piece price would have been like 15 dollars , then Champagne friend !

Congrats on the review and ign blog !

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic