Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 09:23:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I suck at coloring/shading
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I suck at coloring/shading  (Read 4117 times)
Wafflehouse1117
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »

Hello,

I have some concept art here that i would like colored and shaded in a bit of a darker tone yet keeping a slightly positive attitude. if you could i would also like them put into a sprite format if you could pull that off.

Thank you in advance!
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »

Is this a joke? You want people to do your work for you. You're not even asking for criticisms, just "Do this for me, thanks". Also, didn't you just make a portfolio page saying your willing to work?
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »

lmfao
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

kill me
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:38:21 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Wafflehouse1117
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »

Okay man sorry i'm still learning. I was just wanting some help cause sometimes i'm not the greatest with color schemes and im kind of new to drawing on the computer. I'm pretty good at drawing on paper and if i try hard enough i can make some pretty cool looking cartoon characters but i'm not too great at coloring and shading semi realistically. So if you can give me some help on this i would greatly appreciate it.

P.S.
I know you were asking me a true question but you could have been a little less harsh.  Smiley
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »

but you could have been a little less harsh.  Smiley
There's No Time For That.
Kramlack
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »

As far as shading goes, I can only really say to visualize a light source and draw the shadows accordingly, it's not that hard and you'll get better at it if you practice (and look at other peoples work for reference).

For colouring, look up 'hue shifting' and the colour wheel, that will at least get you started.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Wafflehouse1117
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Thanks man that looks pretty helpful.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »

this thread had potential

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »

Your title is off though...

You obviously don't know about anatomy/physics
Aside from the fact that you want someone else to make completely new sprites from this...

"sorry man im learning" ...

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »

this thread had potential
I agree, and on that note...

I did this really quickly just now so I apologize for the haphazardness of it all, I just woke up and still a little half-crocked from a bottle of vodka but I wanted to make sure I at least threw you a bone here before I get too preoccupied and forget about this thread. Hopefully you get the gist of it, if not feel free to ask here or PM me or whatever and I will help you out.

As for the character anatomy and whatnot, it has its flaws but it also has its charms, with a little work and refinement you'd have a pretty interesting style on your hands. I don't think the issue is that you need to focus on realistic anatomy so much as you just need to focus on keeping your proportions balanced (for example, if you look at some of your character's legs they are two different sizes, some arms are longer than others, etc.). You'll develop good anatomy as time goes on and you study into it a bit more, but getting your proportions right is something you can do now just by observing your own work and specifically looking for it.

In any case, keep at it.

EDIT: I highly recommend using GIMP, it is free and it has a lot of color selection options that I personally favor over that of Photoshop (etc.). Also, those shots of the saturation/value box and hue bar are from GIMP, the h/s/v setup will vary depending on what program you are using.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:17:58 PM by JWK5 » Logged
keoni29
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »

That's an interesting technique. I prefer drawing the lineart, scaling it down and then refining the shape and coloring it.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:19 AM »

Kudos JWK5. I wish more people on TIGForums were like him.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »

Kudos JWK5. I wish more people on TIGForums were like him.
+1

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:33 AM »

jwk5 you are one fine human being
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »

really really A+ post JWK5.

I'm under the impression that usually highlights actually are less saturated, not more saturated (and a quick check on some photos seem to support that notion, though it of course depends on the light source). Thoughts on this?

edit:

(mostly focused on skin colours, I'll admit)

edit edit:
that's not to say that some highlights are more saturated. I often use some extra saturated highlights for added ooomph, and for cartoony characters and environments it's commonplace. For strictly realistic stuff though, I don't think it's the norm.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:57:45 AM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
JWK5
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »

The problem is many of the examples you provided suffer from color flattening (due to how they were scanned or transferred to the computer). For example, the girl running and the guy at the very bottom, look at the trees and the skin, very muted. Ditto with the paintings, pigments don't tend to scan well.

If you look at her face you can see as it lightens it increases in both brightness and saturation. This effect can also be achieved with paint by adding in a warm color (which increases the saturation) and just a tiny bit of white. It is hard to see there, but in addition to the saturation and brightness going up there is a slight crawl towards yellow (warming) as her skin lightens. There is technically saturation loss there, but because we are progressing in saturation at the same time we are brightening (progressing towards white) it is not a graying effect, it creates a more vibrant pastel or chalky color.

The full progression in GIMP would look like this (assuming your object had a pure, unmuted color). From your base color you'd move back towards black as you shade, and as you lighten you'd move forward till you are at full saturation (which should put you somewhere around the halftone) and then begin to move downwards towards white (as you move from the halftone to the center light an finally to the highlight and specular which carry the most intensity of white). Where along this progression you place the core shadow, halflight, halftone, center light, and highlight determines how dull, wet, glossy, shiny, etc. an object might appear. Generally the more contrast (distance between them) the more shine you get. Note, I did not show the progression of hue here, just the saturation and value progression.

Also note that "white light" can be cold (progressing towards ultramarine) or warm (progressing towards yellow) and shadows are actually progressing towards the complementary, as seen here:

You can sometimes you can get more impact by using a dark grayed-complementary instead of black or a very light complementary instead of white (especially in your speculars).
JWK5
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »

Also:

Nevermind that the orange painting looks REALLY orange, I suspect that one may have naturally been pretty mute. Photobucket shrank the whole image down a bit so there is some detail loss, so nevermind that as well. Anyways, the point is the white light here doesn't come across as gray because of the colors surrounding it.

EDIT: I was just about to reply to a post here that said the GIMP saturation sliders showed a decrease in saturation and then it vanished... WTF

Oh well... What I was going to say was that, yes you will see a decrease in saturation in the actual numbers (due to the addition of white) but because you are manually increasing the saturation as you add in white you are not going to get the same graying you would by just adding white alone (if you look at the saturation/value box from before you can see that it creates a sort of arcing). It is a sort of counter-balance that maintains the intensity (similar to adding in a warm color with white when painting to keep the white from neutralizing).

You can see that the as the saturation slider moves further down graying happens, but is countered by the value slider moving up (bringing back some of the color intensity).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:06:24 AM by JWK5 » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »

don't most colors become less saturated as they become brighter, tho? i mean merely in the numerical sense:

e.g.

if you take 0 255 0 for pure green

and then make it brighter, to 50, 255, 50

you've made it less saturated, by making it brighter. the brightening process itself makes something less saturated just by virtue of how we represent colors on monitors (the RGB system)

so it's not too surprising to me that bright highlights would be less saturated, unless i'm missing something?

edit: i think JWK5's edit just said what i was saying

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic