Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 12:06:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationKrebsWelte [done]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: KrebsWelte [done]  (Read 36352 times)
ichi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 06:19:40 AM »

Hmm.. I'm still a little confused, what's the difference between prerandomized and premade if everything is the same every time you play?

Anyway, I didn't get far, but it's fun so far, if a little depressing. probably because of the music.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »

the difference is that it's procedurally generated.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11:04 AM »

Hmm.. I'm still a little confused, what's the difference between prerandomized and premade if everything is the same every time you play?

Simple example: the Mandelbrot fractal is exactly the same every time you generate it. But there's a huge difference - both technical and in terms of storage - between storing a fifteen-million-by-fifteen-million pixel representation of the thing and sampling from that into your 'fractal viewer' app, and generating it on the fly.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
increpare
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »

Simple example: the Mandelbrot fractal is exactly the same every time you generate it. But there's a huge difference - both technical and in terms of storage - between storing a fifteen-million-by-fifteen-million pixel representation of the thing and sampling from that into your 'fractal viewer' app, and generating it on the fly.
Yeah, but you could still make it afresh for each game beforehand: people wouldn't mind waiting even a couple of minutes, I'm sure, while the build generated.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »

Just out of curiosity Cactus, just how many levels did you generate? Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:18 AM »

There's infinite levels and they aren't pregenerated really, the levels are generated when they start, but they're generated the same every time thanks to seeds. In the final version I'll probably set a limit to the levels and add an ending of some sort.
medieval
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »

updated link doesnt work  Shocked

i want to plaaaaaaaaaaayyy meeehhhh.

Zaphos
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »

It's all prerandomized. I figured it'd be better to have it the same thing every time you play, although it's probably a good idea to add a random mode.
Why not let the user type a world name for the seed?  That way they can choose to come back to the same world, or to try a different world.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

I got error!

Code:
for object objCancerBeast:

Error in code at line 1:
   if my_energie2>other.energie energie2-=other.energie else

at position 4: Unknown variable my_energie2

Happened when I tried shooting the big elephant/whatever looking thing that charged at me.

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »

Wow it does seem a lot of folks in this forum are bit confused as to what procedural content generation is, as others have been trying to explain using fractals etc. it need not be different each time you play it,. in fact it is often not.  If you look at darwinia,. or one of my old favorets SubTerrania the old Genesis game, an equation is used to generate a part of a level, like the terrain,. and it is done in the same way each time,. the objects are placed by hand.  The reasons for doing it is less data need be saved, and less production work need be done building the levels,. they are formed from the mathmatics,. The idea of having the player generate a random seed from some text string is cool, but in no way a requirement for PCG.  Things like Dwarf Fortress are super cool and creating random worlds from equations and iterative procedures is indeed interesting for sure,. but it need not be the focus for all PCG.  For instance, I used procedures to help me generate my character models props and animations, and most are the same each time you play,. its just a design decision.  Roll Eyes

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »

Just remember jph that a lot of people here are hobbists with noobish coding knowledge (myself included). Tongue So please go easy on us, poor mortals.

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 02:35:58 AM »

Nice game!

I think I´ve found a bug though. When you click at the randomly generated blocks they destroys like they do when you shoot at them. And then, when you´ve shoot at a destroyed block it becomes normal again. It´s possible to walk through this normal block but not the destroyed-of-click-block. The whole thing becomes the opposite.

Just hide the mouse pointer and this little bug will probably be gone. ^^
Evil-Ville
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »

Nice game but going through the same levels gets boring after a while. I have a bad habit of getting killed right after buying a new weapon.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

I really like it! the explosions are really cool as is the aesthetic.

tiny glitch though, not sure if its an unavoidable problem of GM or something but the font gets distorted sometimes, and i find myself finding it really difficult to read it sometimes.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »

GM has a tendency of distorting sprites and images and stuff, usually because it'll try to draw them at fractioned coordinates, like 22.3 x and 65.8 y. I prevent it by making all sprites be drawn in a rounded coordinate.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »

I really like it! the explosions are really cool as is the aesthetic.

tiny glitch though, not sure if its an unavoidable problem of GM or something but the font gets distorted sometimes, and i find myself finding it really difficult to read it sometimes.

What,Isn't that the standard cactus font?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »

That's a very nice game, but as others have said before, starting at the same level each time is annoying.
And since there is no goal but infinite play, there's little incentive to replay.
It's a pity because the game is rather good.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
qoouep
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 03:04:50 AM »

It would be cool to have the game get harder as you get more powered up. Also, I'd like to see an ending.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 05:39:50 AM »

I wanted to love it, nearly did, and it had great atmosphere and looks.  It just didn't make me want to win, I don't know why.  Maybe because I could cheat so easily by destroying the blocks with the mouse, it took away the challenge?  I also would have loved to see Screaming-Cancer-Man make an appearance, even though he really freaks me out.

What's the status on BDTUW, Cactus?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:41 AM »

I think that was the problem for me too. I'm not sure how to explain, perhaps the lack of an ultimate goal of some sort, or intermediary goals. How far you can reach could be one, but the game could probably benefit from a few more objectives.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic