Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:14:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 207313 times)
st33d
« Reply #400 on: August 28, 2012, 04:00:29 AM »

Heeeyy:

http://kotaku.com/5938405/an-indie-platformer-for-those-who-love-metroid
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »

Yeah, a friend mentioned about it. That's pretty cool!

In other news, I've been working more on powerup stuff. I wanted to make a GIF of this because it looks kind of cool, but this isn't really how the powerup will work in the end:

EDIT: a slightly more likely situation:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:31:10 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »

The top one seems like it's range is too long, and the bottom one's range seems too short.
It also seems more useful as a wall trans-versing item than a dodging one as shown in the lower one.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »

You can fly in any four directions, and it makes you intangible while also damaging enemies that you pass through. The game already has plenty of tools for moving about in the form of double jumps and the hookshot, so this powerup is mainly meant for combat.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »

Thi is.. so.. BEAUTIFUL  Addicted

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »

Whee

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 02, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

Whee

llooooking swell. i smell the mystery.

play hydlide 2
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 02, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »

Robot guy's about to fall on spikes.
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

Naw man he's gonna jump in time.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: September 25, 2012, 04:08:39 AM »

Deepest apologies for not putting up any updates as of late - been busy and sick and busy and again sick and everything is happening at the same time.

Apart from that, my plan for the seventh boss didn't quite work as I intended - I have to redesign it a bit.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »

Deepest apologies for not putting up any updates as of late - been busy and sick and busy and again sick and everything is happening at the same time.

Hempuli - you know what?

Your thread on Environmental Station Alpha was the reason I sign up for tigsource in the first place. I was in awe when I first discovered it.

Your game is absolutely amazing! Whenever I check the devlogs forum I really hope to see a new post in this thread. And today I came back here just to see if perhaps I had missed a post. Now I'm writing this just so that you know that there are people out there who would absolutely love to see this game finished! What you have achieved already is truly awesome.

So, please, once you feel recovered again from stress and sickness, please, please, please keep working on this! :-)
Sigma_100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »

First time poster here, seconding kleiba's post.  I've been lurking here for 6 months now, checking back weekly for updates specifically for ESA.  Can't wait to play it Hempuli, it looks absolutely amazing.  I'm also looking forward to more music from Noby; the track he put together for the trailer is just awesome.  Hope things clear up for you soon, Hempuli, but you know, take your time and all that jazz. Smiley
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

Apart from that, my plan for the seventh boss didn't quite work as I intended - I have to redesign it a bit.

What were you trying to achieve and why didn't it work out?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »

Awww, thanks for the encouragement, dear ex-lurkers! Kiss I definitely don't want to give up on the project, even if my schedule didn't really allow me to finish it as quickly as I had hoped.

rek: The concept was that the player would fight against a copy of himself, i.e. a robot that could perform quite much all the moves the player has at that point of the game. Problem is that the player's moveset isn't really all that suited for quick maneuvers, and with the boss dealing damage on collision I couldn't figure out a good movement pattern that'd both look good and be fun to fight against. Another problem was shooting - the boss was supposed to use the same weapon as the player, but to do that it would have had to telegraph the bullets beforehand as to not make it feel unfair. In the end, the bullets were very easy to avoid and kind of underwhelming.

My current plan is to use the same concept but instead work the boss into a more intimidating one.

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »

Another exlurker here, joined up because of this and several other games in development here, so I would like to say what a great job you're doing!

An idea to make the last boss more difficult could be to scale down the difficulty even further (bear with me) but after beating it introduce two clones to fight at the same time, and after that three clones. Might be a nice way to ramp up the difficulty incrementally while remaining a fairly original and interesting fight. If each of the clones had different weapons or abilities then that could make it even more interesting I suppose.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »

An idea to make the last boss more difficult could be to scale down the difficulty even further (bear with me) but after beating it introduce two clones to fight at the same time, and after that three clones. Might be a nice way to ramp up the difficulty incrementally while remaining a fairly original and interesting fight. If each of the clones had different weapons or abilities then that could make it even more interesting I suppose.

Ah, I wasn't talking of the last boss here (although a clone for one might be sweet in a sort of clichéy way); this is just a miniboss. Also even though your suggestion would indeed make the battle harder and more interesting, there's one ground-level problem with the clone enemy - it doesn't move very well. For common enemies and most bosses the movements are quite simple, because they follow set patterns or otherwise have pretty simple rules. This isn't the case here; the clone should convincingly move about and even use the double jump without either a) losing track of the player or b) actively running into him.

Thanks for the compliments! Smiley

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »

Why not do it slightly differently-- several variations of the player, but each only uses one special ability, they just do it better than the player?  Not necessarily in the 'more skills, better reflexes' way, they might do more damage or their attack might cause explosions, or leave a fire trail.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »

Why stop at two or three clones? Have us fight against a whole army of undead zombie clone warrior boss fighters!!!!!!!!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »

So then - I got a new idea for this boss, and hopefully will get it done relatively quickly.

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »

Just saw your trailer for the first time. Looks awesome. Has that perfect sci-fi feel.

“If you look for beauty, you will find it.”
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic