Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:44:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHatred
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 15548 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »

Have just taken a look at actual gameplay and the way the protagonist overly voices everything turns him almost into a cartoon character. To be taken more seriously he should be more silent. It looks actually more gamey than psychologically
manipulative/thrilling, just like any other zombie shooting game.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2015, 05:10:15 AM »

Have just taken a look at actual gameplay and the way the protagonist overly voices everything turns him almost into a cartoon character.

if i'm not wrong, it seems like an homage to the first Postal.  This game looks like an HD restylised version of postal.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2015, 05:17:58 AM »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/AlbertPalka/20150526/244229/Real_talk_with_Destructive_Creations_Hatred_interview.php
Let's talk about the main topic of our conversation - your game. When did you come up with an idea to make Hatred?

It's hard to say. It was probably when I got disappointed by Postal 2 which, due to its wicked humor, took a different direction from what I was hoping for. I won't deny that I like the sequel too, but for other reasons. Postal 1 was a serious game and it had that vibe that attracted me in some way. I think because of an urge to become an evil human being that you're not in the real life.
For years, the idea of making a "better" Postal 1 was slowly growing on me, although I've always put it at the end of my „ideas” list. However, when the opportunity to make my own arose I've decided that Hatred will be the best pick for my new company. The name itself and core mechanics were developed during the prototyping process.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2015, 05:50:40 AM »

Politics and gameplay aside, I really like the look of the game. And, yeah, the moment when he crashes the cop car into the building is quite impressive.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2015, 06:01:03 AM »

Credit where credit is due, the visuals and the physics for the crashes and explosions are really damn good. That said, that video gives the impression of a really mediocre/average game whose only really highlight is using a controversial setting.

Also the player character looks like a mediocre 90s nu metal singer, worse with all the fucks dropped just to sound mean

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »

I'm curious how twitch are going to keep Hatred out without an AO rating though.

The game's physics, freedom and destructible environments look like a ton of fun, but the pacing seems a lot slower than similar action games we're used to like HM, so curious to see how they spice it up, and how they make it work. Can't believe it's almost out too
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2015, 07:09:45 AM »

I'm curious how twitch are going to keep Hatred out without an AO rating though.
IIRC they handwaved it by saying "We ban AO-rated games now, oh and also these games" then listing Hatred and a couple of others that don't have any official rating.

Of course, legally speaking Twitch can do whatever they want. They might have a PR problem on their hands if they implement bad rules but in the end it's their website and we can take it or leave it.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »

i doubt twitch is gonna have a pr problem for banning a few games nobody outside of gamergaters and whackjob right-wing fuckwits really cares about anyway
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »

gamergaters and whackjob right-wing fuckwits
this is redundant

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »

Don't see how it makes you a whackjob, right-wing or fuckwit to appreciate a twin-stick shooter, especially after HM reinvigorated the genre and all the neat portable ones rising up
Dragonmaw
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »

why are we talking about a bland twin stick shooter with ~gritty themez~

cant we talk about helldivers or halo topdown chief or whatever other bad twinstick games are out? there's a new geometry wars right?

helldivers is so so so good

Don't see how it makes you a whackjob, right-wing or fuckwit to appreciate a twin-stick shooter, especially after HM reinvigorated the genre and all the neat portable ones rising up

the point is that the only people who even give a shit about hatred are the same people who get angry about feminism or whatever progressive thing is getting backlash this particular minute, because those are the same people who "appreciate" a game like this rather than its various superior peers.

also saying that hotline miami reinvigorated the twin stick shooter genre is so incredibly wrong and bad. i love HLM but c'mon now
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:13:58 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »

the point is that the only people who even give a shit about hatred are the same people who get angry about feminism or whatever progressive thing is getting backlash this particular minute, because those are the same people who "appreciate" a game like this rather than its various superior peers.

Nah, I'm sure there are a handful of us who enjoy twin-twick shooters a lot. I thought they died with the miniclip-era, until I picked up some on the vita and some smaller steam ones. And I don't think we need to restrict ourselves only to the best of each genre.

This doesn't really seem like something people against feminism or progressiveness would push, because video games haven't progressed to the point of maturity that literature and films have, which both showcase well-known pieces of art that have more controversial content iirc
Dragonmaw
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:37 AM »

i don't think we should restrict to the "best" of each genre either, my point is that

is so fucking stupid when there are other twin-stick shooters not made by, you know, neo-nazis (or hardcore racial unity right-wing nationalists, if you want to be pedantic). and yes, the people promoting hatred are primarily right-wing fucks and the like.

Nah, I'm sure there are a handful of us who enjoy twin-twick shooters a lot. I thought they died with the miniclip-era, until I picked up some on the vita and some smaller steam ones. And I don't think we need to restrict ourselves only to the best of each genre.

twin stick shooter is one of my absolute favorite game genres (one of the few i actually dev games for) and even i'm not willing to buy a shitty neo-nazi genocide simulator.

on top of this, there are so, so, so many twin-stick shooters. it's one of the most consistently profitable and "alive" genres out there. how the fuck did you think they were dead?

basically hatred is not a cross worth dying on
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »

gamespot just did a two hour video on the game

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »

This doesn't really seem like something people against feminism or progressiveness would push

but they do

hatred has become a symbol of faux "free speech" for the edgelord brigade
Garrent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »

The driving bits look like a lot of fun. Oh sorry apparently we're not allowed to have fun any more.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »

I think video games have matured enough as a medium to be able to tackle mature, controversial themes, so long as it's not controversy for the sake of controversy. Hatred is exactly that, though, and to laud it for it's “bravery” or whatever is akin to applauding the Human Centipede series for “daring to be different.” I guess the fact that each are so repulsive is an achievement in its own right, but what's the point?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

So why are there so many articles about Hatred on Polygon? Is the site known for catering to people who are "angry about feminism"?

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »

I think video games have matured enough as a medium to be able to tackle mature, controversial themes, so long as it's not controversy for the sake of controversy. Hatred is exactly that, though, and to laud it for it's “bravery” or whatever is akin to applauding the Human Centipede series for “daring to be different.” I guess the fact that each are so repulsive is an achievement in its own right, but what's the point?

Human Centipede was terrible because it was a terrible film, not because it was controversy for the sake of controversy. Manhunt was exactly that but still a very fun video game

This doesn't really seem like something people against feminism or progressiveness would push

but they do

hatred has become a symbol of faux "free speech" for the edgelord brigade

Which I personally find weird. Things like senseless killing and rape, things that are prominent or at least not demonized in other mediums, like in Pulp Fiction, would normally be promoted by people who care more about the progressiveness of video games into being considered an art form, rather than a children's toy where everything needs to be kept PG. It seems edginess takes a precedence over agenda for both sides. At this point, I think it's just 2 sides wanting to argue with each other. I won't say more, I'd like to see if the game is actually good at this point, the mechanics shown are inviting at least
Dragonmaw
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »

So why are there so many articles about Hatred on Polygon? Is the site known for catering to people who are "angry about feminism"?

were you always this disingenuous?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic