Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:43:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMonster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate  (Read 17888 times)
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »

I want to start playing these games but I probably will never buy a 3DS. Wish they still made console ones.

MH3 is also on Wii as MH 'Tri'.

I had a 3ds for a brief period. Once I got through a couple of games, and stopped holding my breath for a Metroid title, I gave it up. The library better suits jrpg fans.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »

ok ive been neglecting majoras mask because of this game

wat a hell

i guess the years (literally) of trying to get into monster hunter actually paid off. tho tbh i already liked mh3 more than the psp ones. i know some ppl think the psp games are the best 5ever but i think mh is an example of successful "streamlining".
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »

i guess the years (literally) of trying to get into monster hunter actually paid off. tho tbh i already liked mh3 more than the psp ones. i know some ppl think the psp games are the best 5ever but i think mh is an example of successful "streamlining".
Putting it nicely, having heard good things about the PSP games I found that playing Freedom Unite after 3U was not the awesome monster hunting experience that I was looking for.

Fishing gun...
I am rubbish at the fishing gun. Ahab such a bad time of it I will never be able to score me fishmail. The Palico questing bit is adorable as heck though, enough that I sit through it every time rather than phoning it in through the tomcat in my house whilst I run off to ruin a monster's day. Also surprised that Capcom didn't make it a separate app that can be fobbed off for your phone.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »

Oh yeah, since it hasn't seen any mention yet: The Field Pouch is the best thing ever.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »

PSP games were awesome and had much more content than Tri, but they really banked on you already being a long-time MH player who just upgraded expansion-style. They even made the saves transferrable. I can't imagine playing Freedom Unite as someone new to the series. Must've been both frustrating and overwhelming as fuck.

Tri was the first one that actually tried this new invention called "accessibility". They even read wiki entries for "learning curve" and "streamlining"! It wasn't as robust as the PSP ones, but who cares? It's still a huge game!

MH4U seems to go Hannah Montana and brings the best of the both worlds. It's actually even more robust than PSP entries, but still accommodates for new players Tri-style. Hell, I'm a long-time addict who got most of the fights down to muscle memory, and I still appreciate low rank being much more streamlined this time around.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »

Some random thoughts. This game is considerably easier in a group. I played gathering hall today with two buddies and we were blazing through content that was kicking my ass in singleplayer. You get a lot more breathing room in a party and can grab more opportunities to sharpen and heal, not to mention how you can cover multiple statuses through strategic weapon selection. But it's always been like this and I just never noticed it because I only played solo back in MH3U.

It's really fun to play cleric with the Qurupeco set. I was topping everyone up with herbs during the fight and pulling out the Health Horn whenever someone mounted a monster. Sure, it's got a long-ass animation, but it's not like you have anything better to do while the monster is mounted.

I need to branch out and try other weapons. So far I have been using SnS exclusively and it doesn't work too well when my buddy equips his longsword and starts tripping me with it. Ideally a longsword user should probably be in a party with ranged characters to avoid traffic accidents. If I decide to use a ranged weapon at some point it will probably be the light bowgun.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »

PSP games were awesome and had much more content than Tri, but they really banked on you already being a long-time MH player who just upgraded expansion-style. They even made the saves transferrable. I can't imagine playing Freedom Unite as someone new to the series. Must've been both frustrating and overwhelming as fuck.

Tri was the first one that actually tried this new invention called "accessibility". They even read wiki entries for "learning curve" and "streamlining"! It wasn't as robust as the PSP ones, but who cares? It's still a huge game!

MH4U seems to go Hannah Montana and brings the best of the both worlds. It's actually even more robust than PSP entries, but still accommodates for new players Tri-style. Hell, I'm a long-time addict who got most of the fights down to muscle memory, and I still appreciate low rank being much more streamlined this time around.

i actually started with the first MHF and liked the concept but was bored/frustrated. then i got MHFU to see if it was better (it wasnt obv). Then i got both 3 AND eventually 3U because im stupid like that. apparently 3rd generation is the one with the glaring monster health issues (or at least thats what ive heard from some MH vets) and they toned it down again in 4, which is great. fighting big monsters feels right and not like a slog.

the reason i gave the games so many chances was because 1. theyre exactly my "thing" in theory and 2. its inspiring to see fans talking about the games. this thread is actually the reason i ended up getting mh4u haha.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2015, 02:53:49 AM »

Throwing tranq bombs down has to be the dumbest shit ever invented. Had to abort a quest after I burned through all of them wondering why they weren't being thrown at the monster.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2015, 04:13:40 AM »

Just finished crafting Jaggi S so now I'm ready to take on the world. And by "the world" I mean Caravan High.

Been neglecting my palicos too. The whole system is a bit confusing. Apparently leadership forte provides the passive skills of the other palicos? I need to read more about how palicos and fortes actually work but there is little material and it's scattered in different places of the internet. All I know is that you gotta have at least 2 healers in your 1st stringer list because that health horn is clutch.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2015, 03:54:36 AM »

Here's a tip about elements. If you need to find out what element works best against a monster, just check its armor at the blacksmith. Normally armor sets will have a big weakness against one element and you can be sure that is the element that is the most effective against the monster in question. This is very handy in high rank since you have probably already killed the monster in low rank and you can look at the low rank armor stats.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »

So I have a Charge Blade with paralyze on it. Granted its pretty low (less than 200 I think) I have never paralyzed a monster. Does the status only get applied when I'm in the axe mode or what?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2015, 04:23:45 AM »

btw i still dont really have a grasp on which armor is good and which isnt. ive been using the jaggi set forever now and idk what else is worth making. :/

oh also, how do you cut off monsters tails? ive tried it a bunch of times on a great jaggi just to test it, but it never worked (i used a GS and was careful to only attack the tail).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:38:33 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »

btw i still dont really have a grasp on which armor is good and which isnt. ive been using the jaggi set forever now and idk what else is worth making. :/

use whatever armor has the skills you like. unless you are using low rank jaggi armor on high rank quests then you need to rethink your life.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:11 AM »

oh ok. are armor stats (other than skills) important at all or can i just ignore them?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »

Jaggi and Tetsu are both popular choices in this game from what I can tell. But the set you want depends a lot on what weapon you are using. Some skills are much more important for certain weapons. For example:
Greatsword - FastCharge, Sheathing and CritDraw/PunishingDraw helps with hit and run tactics.
Longsword - Earplugs and Evasion help you keep smacking the monster and allow you to sustain combos longer.
Sword and Shield - Speed Sharpening goes well with this because the SnS loses its edge very quickly.
Hammer - Stuff that helps when bonking heads like KO and Stamina Thief.
Hunting Horn - Maestro keeps buffs active for longer. But it's easy to gem into any set so don't worry if your set doesn't have it.
Lances/Gunlances - These are defensive weapons, so get Guard+ or Guard Up for improved blocking.

I don't know much about the other weapon types but maybe someone else can offer more tips. Skills are much more important than defense values, but try to upgrade from low rank to high rank armors as soon as possible.

Edit: ALSO I forgot to mention but Sharpness +1 (Handicraft) is pretty much king on any weapon. It's the best skill ever. Hard to get but it's amazing if you can get it.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2015, 05:00:44 AM »

oh ok. are armor stats (other than skills) important at all or can i just ignore them?

defense is super important

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »

Just go for whatever skills you want (Sharpness and Attack Up are always good) and make sure to have rank-appropriate defense value. Velociprey/Tetsu/Jaggi and their high rank versions are more than enough to carry you till G rank where min-maxing skills becomes more important. But by then you'll know what you're doing anyway.

oh also, how do you cut off monsters tails? ive tried it a bunch of times on a great jaggi just to test it, but it never worked (i used a GS and was careful to only attack the tail).
Not all monster have cuttable tails and/or breakable parts. Great Jaggi is just a re-scaled basic dino enemy, so you can't do much to him.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2015, 06:14:32 AM »

welp good2know i wasted my time :/
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:15 AM »

To clarify: Great Jaggi has only one breakable part (the frill). You can tell it's broken if it has holes in the frill. But since it has little health you will probably need to mount the jaggi or else it will just die before that happens.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »

oh yeah ive broken the frill a lot of times already (otherwise i wouldnt have the jaggi set). i was just under the wrong impression that all tails are breakable.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic