Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:48:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWonderBros [now with videos!]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: WonderBros [now with videos!]  (Read 10496 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

Looking good like the look of the new attack, although think the kick should occur faster so there isn't so much of a delay from when you go to attack to when he hits.

Moczan
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »

I see the delay mostly as a balancing issue. The attack has similar properties as jump skill that sends enemy flying (can be seen in video), but the delay is longer. This will probably be addressed as soon as I implement all non-boss level 1 enemies, we decide on actual damage values and see game in action.

As you can see by my activity, this week has been extremely busy with 'real life' stuff and I feel extremely bad for not working on WonderBros as much as I wanted. I hope I will be able to catch up with finishing Captain this weekend and starting from Monday I'm definitely back on schedule.
Moczan
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

Devlog Day 13
I'm steadily getting back on schedule. I was absent for last 3 days, but today was quite productive. The running attack got redesigned to drop kick as you can see in Hunter's post. Today we talked about air skill that launches enemies, it's completely broken in current state happening instantly. We will be changing it to ground skill that launches captain into air and hits air enemies only.

I've also done a lot of refactoring today, it had to be done for a long time to avoid copy pasting some state-related stuff when creating new characters/enemies. 'Old' captains attacks should be done by tomorrow, really.
Moczan
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 03:53:21 AM »

FUCK THIS, if anyone is thinking about starting a project in haxeNME DON'T DO IT. I will probably regret not using stuff like XNA or SFML on this project forever.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:19:30 PM by Moczan » Logged
namre
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »

Watched the vid, loving the progress so far. Keep it up.
Moczan
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »

Devlog Day 14
To break boredom and monotony of fiddling with characters I've decided to build the newest NME from repository and check if all Windows GPU rendering bugs are fixed. It took me much more time than it should have (nerdrage in previous post). Total lack of documentation doesn't help too. BUT in the end I've managed to get most of the stuff I wanted to. I can do those light effects seen in mockups, draw both convex shapes with gradient fills etc. I saw that they have even added some shaders methods, didn't have time to play with that (mostly because there is no documentation regarding it), but if it works, it may create some fancy effects.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:06 AM »

Oh and an update on the art
not much progress has been made since that last post, I'll be pretty busy trying to get things done for my contract job until the end of the month.

Once the first rolls around though I should be back to my normal routine of getting something done for this every day
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »

OKAY SO
sorry for the lack of updates lately, we've both been kinda busy and my interest in the game has been slipping - mostly due to the fact that trying to create all of the tiles and objects and items feels way too similar to the contract job I'm currently trying to get finished up - so I'll be getting back to animations starting this Monday

Right now we've got a ton of WIP animations for the two protagonists and all of the first stage enemies that need to be cleaned up, made to look less awkward, and have way too much attention paid to minor details because help I cant stop

I'LL BE MAKING SOME PROGRESS ON THE NON-ANIMATION WORK THIS WEEKEND THAT NONE OF YOU WILL SEE FOR AWHILE BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL DUMB and also it's not even going to be finished i just need to at least get everything sketched out before I move onto animations because leaving this as unfinished as it is right now would really bother me

until next time
Moczan
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »

Yeah, contract work is a bitch. I thought that I won't be doing any for some time but you can't eat procrastination. Here is a bonus screenshot with placeholder of the 'lighting system'. It's not pretty codewise yet, but it allows for dynamic, real-time light/shadow attributes changes and will let us do super cool effects in the future. And the light flicks, cause WHY WOULDN'T IT IN ZOMBIE-INFESTED HOSPITAL.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

Getting back on track with the art!

Finished Captain's idle animation today, and I made some updates to his jumping attack as well.

Captain's new jumping attack will actually not be a jumping attack at all! It will still hit aerial enemies - in fact, that's the only thing it will hit. The previous version of this attack was a very quick and very powerful attack that caused a wallbounce. Now, thinking about it, an instant wallbounce probably isn't the smartest thing to include.

In order to give the skill more startup time, it had to be made into a ground skill, but giving Cap another ground skill led to a problem where he a) would have way too much presence on the ground, and b) really wouldn't be able to attack anything that was in the air.

anyways here's the new wip animation for that

i have said a lot of words okay bye
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:26:31 PM by Swarms » Logged
Moczan
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »

I've changed shadow's tint to purple to better represent what was shown in mock-up (I actually did it yesterday, I've spent most day working on Immortal Souls sequel cause I was stupid enough to buy a car instead of a bike).

I'm not sure I've have posted it before, but most Captain's attacks in their basic forms are already implemented (only the new air attack and the drop kick are left). Since they evolve a lot we've decide to just throw them in, get used to them, see what combos would be possible etc. before we start fleshing them out.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »

Finished idle animation turned out great.

I've spent most day working on Immortal Souls sequel cause I was stupid enough to buy a car instead of a bike).

Really wish you hadn't put that link up, decided to check it out and just spent three hours playing when I should have been doing other work  Epileptic
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:47:03 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Moczan
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »

I've spent most day working on Immortal Souls sequel cause I was stupid enough to buy a car instead of a bike).

Really wish you hadn't put that link up, decided to check it out and just spent three hours playing when I should have been doing other work  Epileptic

Haha, the game may be addicting, but it's the worst source code I've ever seen. Seriously, the guy who made it must be crazy and I heard he got full-time gig in some company. I offer them my deepest condolences.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »

alright, i'm burned out on animations for the day

FANCY! ALRIGHT!!

and also heres the thing together with the idle
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »

hey yall just a heads up that this'll be getting back on track this week

we've both been pretty busy lately so things have slowed down a LOT as a result
i'll be getting a bunch of quick wip hurt animations (and a few 'hit' animations for the block frame) pushed out on monday and then it'll be back to cleaning up this guy's animations

when I'm done with him I'll go back to tiles for a bit to finally finish those up, and then it's back to finishing up animations

words are boring though, have bad animations
Moczan
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

Yep, last week was like the worst week of my life since I've started programming. I saw so many shit code that I need few days to chill the fuck out and adjust to working on WonderBros again. On the other hand it really have me motivation to work on games. I don't want to work on such codebase never again, I don't know how you guys who work as an 9/5 programmers at crappy companies manage to remain sane.
Moczan
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 04:16:54 AM »

Wow, this DevLog looks dead! This week was kinda boring, I've been working on getting better (non-tile) platforming and AI, both new topics for me, that's why I'm taking my time. I plan to be back on a daily posts now, so I don't forget what I did and maybe to help with the motivation (which is still low after last week's crunch time). So, I guess see you guys tomorrow, with some actual info!
Moczan
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »

Today I've dusted off my RescueTime, tweaked my daily productivity goals a bit and managed to meet them!
I've been focusing on refactoring rendering, it's been in a kinda 'prototype' state (it was first thing I did in haXeNME) and sooner or later had to be modified. I still don't like NME, but not as much as earlier  Wink. I've also found and fixed obscure bug that made enemies not being affected by new platforming changes.
rdein
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »

dropping by to give a friendly message:

finish this game or your throat will kinda slip out of your body
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »

shut up dad you cant tell me what do!!!!

also today was spent enjoying the fact that i didn't have any contract work, and then ALMOST forgetting to work on this

i completely redid a few animations to make them more ACTIONY though

this one is finished

this one isnt (it's also not his death animation so dont worry about it being boring)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic