Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:20:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPlaystation Home = FAIL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Playstation Home = FAIL  (Read 10364 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »

So this is slightly old news, but Playstation Home came out of beta, and was released to the public, who promptly proceeded to mime sexual acts and dance around due to the lack of anything to do.

I don't have a PS3 so I've just been poking around youtube looking for videos of people being ridiculous and finding their own ways to play. It seems that most of the good videos of humping avatars were quickly taken down, but here's some hilarious dance party videos.

Running Man Line -

Billie Jean Dance Circle -

Dance Off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdl1tyL80_8&feature=related

Has anyone tried this?

Is there any possible way to save this hopeless world, or is Sony just kicking itself when its down again?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »

I knew this thread would show up at some point.  Tongue

I think the problem is that Sony made its plans for the PS3 and PSP while we were in a time of relative prosperity. We're now in a depression, though, and Sony really fucked up its assumptions on how the consumer trends would progress.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »

Sony fucked up a lot of assumptions. Tongue

Home is just hilarious, though.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »

Honestly, what did they think it would be? If you make an MMORPG with no goals, no levels, no weapons, no violence what do you expect people to do but to go around humping each other? I don't see the point with the whole thing... Why did they make it in the first place?  Huh?
Microwave
BANNED
Level 0

i'll stir fry you in my wok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »

yawn
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »

All they need to do is throw some guns and zombies in there and they'll have themselves an actual game.

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »

If there was a console where the entire community system was a zombie survival game I would bite.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »

And they said Home would be the PS3 seller.

But then I've kind of stopped following Sony's escapades. They were so bad they became funny, but now it's past funny and back to bad again.
The-Imp
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

I thought the Ps3 would be fun if I got one... And then this happened.
 :D
PaleFox
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »

Honestly, what did they think it would be? If you make an MMORPG with no goals, no levels, no weapons, no violence what do you expect people to do but to go around humping each other? I don't see the point with the whole thing... Why did they make it in the first place?  Huh?

Myst Online had no levels, weapons, or violence, and people liked it. Admittedly not enough, though, to make it successful. Several MMOs have not been about the killings yet still succeeded.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »

Yeah I know, was just kidding Roll Eyes

But at least they have some kind of goal right? From what I've heard of home it's like... a big lobby, and nothing more. Don't really know so much about it though, maybe I should shut up Smiley
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »

But then I've kind of stopped following Sony's escapades. They were so bad they became funny, but now it's past funny and back to bad again.

Ditto.  Any publicity is good publicity, in Sony's case, I guess.  If we all werent able to laugh at them on a constant basis we probably wouldnt even pay attention to them.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:52:54 AM »

Quote from: The Billie Jean Video
LOL I JUST CAME

THEN AGAIN, I'd be proud to make a game where everyone gets in a circle and dances to MJ.

Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 07:09:11 AM »

But seriously guys, this is the game 3.0!!!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »

I think an online sexual mmo (something like second life but specifically geared toward sex), if it were done intentionally, would be both more moral and more fun than violence-based mmorpgs.

The-Imp
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 07:25:22 AM »

I think an online sexual mmo (something like second life but specifically geared toward sex), if it were done intentionally, would be both more moral and more fun than violence-based mmorpgs.
Oh Rinku you slick devil.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 07:28:18 AM »

Although isn't that basically what Second Life sort of is right now? I haven't played it yet, but my friend hachi-roku has and he says that 90% of its user-created world seems to be about sex.

It wasn't specifically intended for that, but when you give users control over something that's what naturally happens. There are a lot of sexually oriented monsters in Spore too.

For those who don't know about Second Life, it's apparently an MMO where users create everything: all the graphics, all the world, all the items, they even do most of the scripting and coding, and they can buy things that others create from them. So it's like Spore, except Spore did it with only the creatures.

But my main point of the post is that sex or even anything vaguely sexually related in videogames seems to be looked down upon (like it is in Playstation Home) but it's much more moral and fun than violence is, so it's weird that violence dominates games whereas sex is pushed out of them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:50:39 AM by rinkuhero » Logged

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:47:40 AM »

Quote from: rinkuhero
But my main point of the post is that sex or even anything vaguely sexually related in videogames seems to be looked down upon
Which reminds me of an anecdote. When we were working on The Witcher, we had a request from ESRB to somehow cover the nipples on vampiress' breasts for the USA version of the game. So we covered them with blood splatters, and everything was fine.
Covering breasts with blood, gotta love USA's moral principles Lips Sealed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:55:02 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »

Hahahaha, that's the best anecdote I've heard in a while. I'll remember that.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »

Home is awful.

I made a character that looked a lot like me, put on one of the 5 t-shirts you can wear, walked around pointlessly, then finally sat down in the mall to play a game of chess with someone. They were awful at chess and someone else stood over us (the games actually carry over into the gameworld, so everyone can see) and yelled "Woop!! Woop!!! WRONG MOVE!!" over the microphone every time either of us went. It was pretty funny. I haven't played it since then and probably never will.

Also, this is pretty funny:

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic