Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:53:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLeaving ideas for new projects
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Leaving ideas for new projects  (Read 4043 times)
alspal
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:02 AM »

If I get a new idea  while I'm working on something I just write it down in a document. I tend to abandon a lot of games, but I seem to usually come back and remake my games to try and do it better.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »

The way I tend to work, in anything creative, is that I'll be working on one project and thinking up ideas for the next. If I don't get tired of it I'll know it's a keeper Wink

Finally, as for forgetting ideas I never really worry. I tend to believe that the most interesting elements I'll still remember, and the only things I'll forget will be the unnecessary or clumsy bits.

This part is really spot on.  No matter how much you love it, every project eventually gets out of the Honeymoon phase, and you start daydreaming about what you'll do when you finish it.  It's really good to capture those, because (at least for me anyway) no matter how much I think I'll TOTALLY REMEMBER all these great ideas I'm having, the truth is, they are gone within a week.  Month tops.

Also, it's really really gratifying to be like "I wonder what I should do next" and then open a notebook FULL of ideas, and spend and afternoon going "oh yeah, that was a really cool idea.  I wonder if that could still work...?"

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »

I agree with all the keeping notes of ideas, you really need to write ideas down, it will help clear up your head so you can focus on whatever projects you may currently be working on Smiley
go find a small 3x5" notebook with graph/grid paper and a comfortable pen Hand Pencil

Nix
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »

you really need to write ideas down, it will help clear up your head

I've lost a good amount of sleep to ideas that wouldn't leave my head. All it takes sometimes is just writing them down to make room, whether this is room for sheep and a fence for them to jump over, or for more game ideas.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »

you really need to write ideas down, it will help clear up your head

I've lost a good amount of sleep to ideas that wouldn't leave my head. All it takes sometimes is just writing them down to make room, whether this is room for sheep and a fence for them to jump over, or for more game ideas.
Yeah I do that all the time. In fact I just got some more ideas that I need to write down right now. I feel so relieved when I get them out of my head and on to a piece of paper.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic