Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 04:56:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHyperion: Super Pre-Alpha Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hyperion: Super Pre-Alpha Demo  (Read 1996 times)
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »

Indecom presents unto you dudes: Hyperion: the performance edition! Lol, this project has been a labor of love of mine for the better part of a year, of course off and on since i had a real life job to do until recently lol. This game was inspired by one of those pixel art mockup contests done a while back, demaking a game onto the gameboy. I was actually inspired by seeing vpk's retro demake of doom 3, which you can see here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5016.0

There i sat and pondered what it would take to actually produce something that looked like that, and decided to make a video game that would be the next generation of oldschool gaming. This is a term that I coined myself, yet it fits my idea perfectly. I want to create a game that has the look and feel of an oldschool game, but with features that you only get in next generation titles, like:

*dynamic lighting with realtime soft shadows and baked in lighting
*super smooth pixel perfect animation (even procedural animation eventually)
*keyboard and mouse based control system that requires the player to actually aim rather than place the mouse on an enemy on the opposite side of the screen.
*robust particle system
*weapon randomizor (aka near infinite number of guns, with different buffs)
*customizable weapon hotkey so you can define your experience
*weapon and item upgrade system
*rpg inspired dialogue system

Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg, and not all of this will be featured in this tech demo that i'm about to link you to, since this demo is mostly for performance testing. I suppose i should also probably link you guys a screenshot to grab your interest rather than blabbing on forever lol. So here are some links:

I'd like to know how this performs on your machines, to uncap the frame rate press control, and let me know your highest frame rate, as well as your pc specs, feel free to post your feedback here on this topic, or to the email address included in the readme file. I've put a LOT of time and effort into this, and you're barely seeing the work i've done in this file alone. If you have any feedback at all on anything you see, I want to hear it. Btw, to quit press escape, and to go full screen press alt-enter.

Thanks for taking your time to check this out, I hope all the work i'm putting into this pays off and you have a good experience playing with this little demo.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:19:02 PM by Indecom » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »

no

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9.0
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

funny thing about that link is it states anybody providing feedback should do so constructively. Aka whats wrong with my post that u wont even try the demo so i can fix it. Far as i can tell im following all the rules.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

The graphics are beautiful, and the lighting engine's solid, and I adore the atmosphere, but I'd really like it if you'd release a version where you actually get to experience the gameplay.  Just floating around felt a little underwhelming.  But beautiful work nonetheless!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »

Far as i can tell im following all the rules.

except for rule number one

1. Please introduce yourself in this thread before asking for some feedback. It's always appreciated to have people presenting themselves before asking for some help.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »

Lol well i'll get right on that intro allen, but intro's aside, I worked really hard on this, i'm not a noob. I don't have internet, so when i get online i take care of the important stuff first since i dont have a lot of time. Anyways, like i said, i'll get that intro up.

@portalguru:
I'll get that up as soon as i feel i've got the platforming down enough to make it actually playable in a way that compares to the final product. Also means i need to buckle down and animate some more sprites. Since i'm the only person working on this game, its not gonna be quick.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »

This is a solo project?  Wow.  You should def. find some more people to work on it.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

believe me i've tried, the only people interested are composers and people who dont have enough experience to really help. I've been looking for pixel artists at least to lighten my workload but to no avail i'm afraid.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »

Great start, looks awesome!
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:43:14 AM »

Hi,

You lighting works. Looks beautiful, nice pixel art as well. Though I feel it's all a bit too dark for my taste. Maybe a little more static lights in the environment or a little bit more ambient light.

Frame rates:
Capped is always 60Fps
Uncapped will hover around 100Fps

My specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230
Quadcore Intel I5 @3.2GHz
W7 64bit
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »

Oh there will generally be more variety in the levels of light in the game, just happened to only place two lights in this scene, other than the flashlight lol. Besides, the way i have the scene currently set up, shadows wouldnt work for any lights outside of the starting area.

Edit: updated my gamedev blog, so i'll be posting more updates on there than you'll get from here so be sure to click the link and follow me:

http://i4000.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:49:42 AM by Indecom » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic