Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 03:13:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFeedback wanted for Concept video for Game Trailer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback wanted for Concept video for Game Trailer  (Read 1002 times)
worldalpha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

I put together a quick Powerpoint to reflect a concept video I have for a game trailer. I used a bunch of comp images, so don't get wrapped up in the graphics, or the timing and transitions, but more the idea behind the video. Do you find it intriguing or boring? Would you want to learn more about the game if you saw the video, or would just pass? I value any and all feedback. Be harsh, I don't mind, I would rather know now, than spend some time and money to find out it doesn't work in the end.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:53:30 PM by worldalpha » Logged

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

You invited harshness of criticism, so...

Your video didn't tell me anything about your idea, except that it's some kind of strategy sim.

Do strategy sims work? Do people play them? Sure. Can you MMO them? Yeah, I suppose. There's a bunch of strategy MMO's around, so it must be viable - they seem to be big in China.

There's nothing really to feedback on, here.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »

I don't understand what it is you are trying to do. When I look at a game trailer I am looking at, well, the game. There is no game here. There is no art or significant mechanic details aside from the kind of stuff you would find on the back of a game box. The philosophical gameplay style questions don't add anything either.
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:09:20 AM »

I don't understand what it is you are trying to do. When I look at a game trailer I am looking at, well, the game. There is no game here. There is no art or significant mechanic details aside from the kind of stuff you would find on the back of a game box. The philosophical gameplay style questions don't add anything either.

I've got to agree. When I see a game trailer that has mostly game play, I know that game is worth playing. And sometimes I feel to often like developers put up fancy trailers to hide the games defects.

worldalpha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:07:32 AM »

Thanks guys.  This is the kind of stuff I was looking for.  I guess as the game is being programmed, I don't have a lot of visuals in place (more in draft form) so I was trying to get a game trailer that piques interest.  But from the feedback, I guess if you can't see the game, then it isn't really helpful...  Back to the drawing board.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:24:05 AM »

You could go look at Wolfire's early trailers to get an idea of how to peek interest in the very early stages.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »

Pro tip: Excessive use of wipes and fades screams amateur.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »

I've seen concept videos where it is just a bunch of clips from movies and stuff to create a certain mood or get the main theme across.. but those are usually used for inspiring a large team of people and getting them all on the same page.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic