Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:29:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904948 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7200 on: August 08, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »

The last of us key point:
- notice how the firefly are subtly represented at the very beginning
- notice the firefly guy that Tess shot without warning
- notice the guy asking for help on the road leading to an ambush
- notice how henry and sam are presented and their relation
- notice how Marlene are treated
- notice how Riley lure out Ellie
- notice key words use by ellie toward Riley

now notice

- How the relation between Joel and his daughter
- his relation with his brother early
- how Joel speak to Tess early in the game
- how Tess is out of the story
- ellie's preference
- how David is presented at first
- what is the status and role of david
- how ellie reunite with joel
- how the game ends

Find what is the redeeming value presented in a world of asshole
Now reflect what the title "the last of US" really mean

Can you spoil what the title really means, I don't want to play the game.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »

joel was the true US all along
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7202 on: August 09, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »

watch the campster video of the game (that's where gimmy got it from)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: August 09, 2015, 06:42:24 AM »

fuck no that takes time

GAME IDEA:

Erotic Suikoden-based dating simulator.
Takes place between 2 and 3.
Explains Sanae Y's backstory.
Title: "Five Nights at Freed Y's."

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: August 09, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »

nope

The campster is good, but its not what I'm getting at, the game is huge in its used of the narration motif , most notably is, if you pay attention, the giraffe motif that pop up anytime innocence is at stake (I wasn't the only one to notice http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895799 ).

Now we have established that the story is carefully build around motif we can examine the motive I had highlight as very concerning, basically it's the game equivalent of "birth of a nation", A breakthrough tales with shady narratives. While it paint the main hero as an asshole, they redeem it with motif of warmth and family, something sorely lacking in the people they main duo is contrast to, any parallel is overcome to show that the main duo is really the better model in the long term and justifies it, hence the title, they punished anyone who deviate the model to validate the main character. So the concept of humanity and its downfall is pretty much link to a narrative of us vs them.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: August 09, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »

giraffe motif that pop up anytime innocence is at stake
so videogames are art after all
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: August 09, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »

more like environment storytelling design is art Cool

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: August 09, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »

people are art
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7208 on: August 09, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »

Just started Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. I've put about an hour into it. So far I love the atmosphere, and the mecahnics seem neat too, I have yet to continue and experiment with the whole "talk to demons" business to build a party. But it's definitely catching my interest.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: August 09, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »

Just started Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. I've put about an hour into it. So far I love the atmosphere, and the mecahnics seem neat too, I have yet to continue and experiment with the whole "talk to demons" business to build a party. But it's definitely catching my interest.

Nocturne is like my favorite JRPG ever.

1. It has kind of a slow start.

2. Demon conversation outcomes are sort of random in Nocturne, and mostly based on paying bribes, which is the only thing about the game that bugs me -- the second Raidou game on the PS2 probably had my favorite demon convo systme.

3. You can't re-learn skills if you make your main character forget the, so be aware of that.

4. Matador is the first major gate to see if you get the mechanics yet. If you don't get the mechanics, you MAY need to grind a bit at that point cause it's possible to get into a hole. Otherwise you should never need to grind in Nocturne.

5. Even if you aren't going for the true demon ending, where you have to beat the twelve fiends, you should at least fight them up through daisoujou. This will let you fuse daisoujou at the dark mansions or w/e during full moons.

Daisoujou is /probably/ the single most useful demon in the game. If you use him right he has essentially infinite HP/MP himself and can full-heal your party every three turns or so.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: August 09, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »

spoiler: Demon negotiation is partially random, but the general strategy is to get a feel for demons personality and tell them what they want to hear lol
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7211 on: August 09, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »

Wow, this game sounds more fascinating now. I'll be sure to play a couple more hours later today Smiley Guess I'm going to like it a lot!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: August 09, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »

Also some of the later dungeons are really mindfuck.

Oh and buffs/debuffs/status attacks actually matter in this game. Just as much as status affinities. Also I remember this one boss I managed to defeat by just completely draining them of MP which killed their attack pattern.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: August 10, 2015, 01:26:52 AM »

I'm having more fun crafting shit in FFXIV than actually fighting monsters, what the heck. I feel like I might just make a career out of crafting and gathering instead of all this messy dungeon raiding business. But I'll need to unlock retainers first because my inventory is getting some serious traffic congestion :x

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: August 10, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »

Rising Thunder is pretty awesome already. Capcom should really hire these guys to make the SFV beta work.

....oh wait  Who, Me?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »

Rising Thunder probably is not even 10% of SFV server load.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: August 11, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »

Stock Car EXTREME  Waaagh!
(Reiza Studios)

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »

Rising Thunder probably is not even 10% of SFV server load.

Then SFV should have staggered the beta entry or spent the money to spin up enough server instances to make the beta viable. I would bet that their beta participant to slot ratio was garbage. Also they shouldn't have called it a beta since it's not retail functionality with minor bug fixes.

No one being able to connect for an entire weekend isn't acceptable. Especially since people paid to be in this beta.

edit : spelling
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:34:29 AM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: August 11, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

One Way Heroics is pretty great as far as Steam roguelikes go. It's pretty simple mechanically, with only three equipment slots and a relatively small number of monster types. The main gimmick of the game is that a wall of Darkness is continuously pursuing the player, so you have to keep moving forward to avoid instant death. It's all turn based, though, so you have time to plan out your strategy during combat, or efficiently loot one of the small dungeons you'll encounter across the world. It's both original and works really well to make the game feel different from other games in the genre.

It has a Dark Souls-ish multiplayer mode where you don't directly play with other people, but rather, you can see other players who happen to be in the same seed as you, encounter their ghosts to get a message they select upon death (from a randomly generated list) and a random piece of loot they had when they died.

It also features a weird system where monsters and allied NPCs sometimes get modifiers like "Frail" or "Fire-breathing" that give them bonuses or penalties accordingly. NPCs you can get in your party can get these too, and some of them do nothing but change their text. I came across a masochistic werewolf once that purred every time it got hit.

It also features unlockable perks you get by saving up points from each playthrough, and a vault where you can store items after a run (even a failed run) to help make future runs easier. As a result, even losing repeatedly lets you feel like you're making progress. It has a couple different difficulty levels to tune the challenge for your taste. Randomly generated daily campaigns (like worlds with guaranteed NPC allies or special rules like increased loot drop rates) keep things interesting each day.

It's really great all around.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: August 11, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »

i remember playing one way heroics for a while and giving up on it because i found it fundamentally flawed. but i can't remember why. will need to play again.
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic