Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 12:17:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dragon Rampage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dragon Rampage  (Read 3120 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »

Edit 12/13/09:
Over ambitions plan:
Dragon Rampage will play out sort of like deathworm, in that the player will control an extraordinarily powerful creature running a muck in a world filled with lesser creatures. Over time these lesser creatures will become more powerful and capable of hurting the player.

Game play:
The dragon will have two modes, walking and flying. While walking the dragon will attack by biting. If the dragon bites a weak creature or a dead one the dragon eats it. Eating increases energy which is consumed in flight mode. If the dragon has enough energy reserves it can take off and enter flight mode. While in flight mode, it ignores all ground obstacles, travels faster, and attacks by shooting fire balls. Every second in flight mode consumes energy , as does shooting fire balls. When the dragon is out of energy or the player gives the landing command the dragon will return to earth. There the dragon can refill its energy by eating.

Enemies:
At the start of the game the human forces are pretty easy to to defeat, most are defenseless peasants that will flee from the dragon. There will also be assorted structures that spawn humans to replace the eaten ones. Over time these structures will get more advanced, and start spawning humans that can fight back. The Dragon can destroy these structures by biting them or spitting fire balls at them. However the humans will always rebuild over time. The map will be so large that the Dragon will not be able to destroy all human structures. The Rate at which the human structures upgrade will increase over time to provide scalable difficulty.

As usual I start with a plan that is too complex to accomplish in the given time. I will probably cut a few corners and remove a few features be fore this is done, but in the mean time a boy can dream.

Edit 12/14/09:

Added the dragon and its controls. Playable demo here:
http://www.monkeydev.com/assmpt2/DrgRampage.zip

Done:
Make Level editor
Make controllable Dragon

To Do:
Make static NPC object
Implement Isometric Overlapping system
Make mobile NPC objects
Make mobile NPC objects AI
Do Collision detection
Make projectiles
Implement damage system
Play balance
Menus

Artists used so far:
Türbo Bröther http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8822.0
Wilson Saunders (me)

Anyway here is a screen shot of the level editor:

If you want to download and play with Türbo Bröther's tiles in a working editor, here is the link to the latest iteration of the editor (source code included):
http://www.monkeydev.com/assmpt2/isoMap.zip
I don't mind other people using my source code or level editor in their own games. In fact I encourage it, since I don't know how much time I will have to devote to this project. Even if you are not coding if you post a level you made(editmap.txt) I or some one else may use it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:57:08 PM by Wilson Saunders » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

Yes, please.

Evil

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

Looks and sounds great! :-D
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:34 PM »

I finished adding the dragon, including its animation and user input. Now you can walk and fly around the game world wreaking havoc on practically nothing. Controls are:
Right/Left Arrow keys: turn clockwise/counter clockwise
Up/Down Arrow keys: move forward, move back
Z key: attack
X key: start flying

Note to land you just have to slow down past stalling speed (down key).

Link to latest build on first post.

mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »

Playing a dragon on a rampage? This could be awesome. Be sure to have some nifty combo counters like if you take down an entire village.  Durr...?

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:46 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Got an error when I tried to run your demo.

This application has failed to start because MSVCR70D.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I'm no comp major but I don't think I can re-install something that can't be installed.  My computer isn't the most compatible thing in the world either, so there's a good chance it isn't you.

Anybody else run this thing yet?

-PENCERKOFF   

mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:08:03 AM »

If a DLL is missing, the coder might want to check out Dependency Walker and make sure all the DLL's the game requires are in the distributed zip file. Some obvious ones (for example, those installed by default with the Windows operating system) can be skipped, if you know what to look for.

Inpatient users might opt to download it themselves, but be warned; there are (or at least can be) several different versions of a single DLL with the same name. They are not interchangeable so it might not work.

From the top of my head, that particular DLL is from the Visual Studio Runtime, which is installed with Visual Studio. Hence, the developer has it but the user does not.

Happy hacking!

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

Downloaded the dll from dll-files and it worked great!  The dragon handling seems pretty fine tuned.  It's pretty fun!  Can't wait to start the destruction.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »

Sorry for the dll error. I have included the .dll into the main download. It is all just WIP so far, and I apreciate you guys pointing out buggs that I can't see on the development machine.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic