Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411680 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 12:36:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBEACON
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: BEACON  (Read 16391 times)
Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »

Funny how I kinda expected the ending, great job though!

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »

SPOILER ALERT (kind of; I've tried to be vague):

I find that anticipating the ending increases the sense of helplessness and desperation. I was thinking about it the first time through; your ambivalence toward the light and the help that it gives you forms most of the friction in the game world. This game is similar to Shadow of the Colossus in that respect; the player has no true choice available. The player either stops playing, or continues to act in ways that advance an alien agenda.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:26:56 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
increpare
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »

liked it
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »

nice job. the lighting and atmosphere was excellent.

pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »

Does anyone else keep feeling like the death texts should have "Burma Shave" at the end of them?
ChevyRay
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »

Does anyone else keep feeling like the death texts should have "Burma Shave" at the end of them?

Hahaha

*considers that*

Thanks for the nice words, all.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

I liked it. I had to retry the last two or three rooms several times before I got through them, but it was enjoyable.

I *did* find a glitch, I think it was in the next to last room? There's a platform formation like this:

Code:

_HH
 HHH
HHHH
Where H is ground and the _ is spikes. I didn't jump high enough and the guy did his little hanging-off-an-edge thing on the edge right below to the spikes. Then the game wouldn't let me drop off or jump up; the guy was just stuck there. There was a crystal nearby too, so I had to quit the game and restart to get unstuck.
ChevyRay
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »

I liked it. I had to retry the last two or three rooms several times before I got through them, but it was enjoyable.

I *did* find a glitch, I think it was in the next to last room? There's a platform formation like this:

Code:

_HH
 HHH
HHHH
Where H is ground and the _ is spikes. I didn't jump high enough and the guy did his little hanging-off-an-edge thing on the edge right below to the spikes. Then the game wouldn't let me drop off or jump up; the guy was just stuck there. There was a crystal nearby too, so I had to quit the game and restart to get unstuck.

: O

Interesting. I'll look into that. I haven't had that one occur for anybody else yet (or at least I haven't been told). It's a good thing I put in the save feature WTF It would have sucked having to restart over that from the last room. I'll check into that, though, I'm not quite sure why that's happening (you should be able to drop off...)

At least it seems rare enough not to be a huge worry for now.

Also, Ludum Dare results are in. Tears of Joy
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »

Nicely done, ChevyRay!  Hand ClapGrin

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »

very good game, like it a lot, especially how pace picks up after a few levels, also introducing red glowing gems.

nice game, well executed.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »

Congrats Chevy!  Beer!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »

This is a wonderful game. Maybe it's because I'm horrible at it, but at one certain point (can't find the level name? but it's when the game gets pretty difficult.)** Seemed like the game jumped up in difficulty 10 fold at that part. But indeed, it is a fantastic piece of work.

here is the level ID where I am stuck at:
Code:
ID =NWDLE04J5JDMD9235HJJLFSD923LSALFG723
Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »

I love what you've done with this game - a really original concept, very atmospheric, and quite challenging in a good way for the last couple of levels. Smiley

(I played at the weekend though, so I can't comment on the difficulty in the new version).

Anyway, very little to add that hasn't already been said, but congratulations on the competition results - very, very well deserved!  Coffee

Ryan

ChevyRay
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »

This is a wonderful game. Maybe it's because I'm horrible at it, but at one certain point (can't find the level name? but it's when the game gets pretty difficult.)** Seemed like the game jumped up in difficulty 10 fold at that part. But indeed, it is a fantastic piece of work.

here is the level ID where I am stuck at:
Code:
ID =NWDLE04J5JDMD9235HJJLFSD923LSALFG723

Yeah, you're close Smiley

Thanks everybody for the props!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »

Ah ok, thanks. Since I'm so close I'm gonna go finish it now, thanks for the great game and congrats.  Beer!
jazmeister
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »

Beat it in one sitting and saw the ending from a mile away :D Good job brah!
PlayMeTape
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »

Congrats on the win, from what I've seen so far you really deserved it Smiley.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »

Looks like the same guy who said tower of heaven was a Cave Story ripoff in the cage match didn't take into consideration all the flaming he received for said statement. In fact, he saw clearly saw it a a compliment, and decided to make this post in your cage match.
 Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm
I had to go with Mega Block Man 2.

I don't like the username of the person who made Beacon, and the game itself was very... Uninteresting. I just followed some light. There was nothing to actually do in the game.

Mega Block Man 2, on the other hand, is made by someone named "slayer 64". Slayer? That's interesting somewhat. 64? Well, the Nintendo 64 was one of the worst consoles in existence. So that's a few cool points off. But the game itself held my interest long enough to complete it.

In the end, due to the names of the creators, I must say that both are mediocre games. But Mega Block Man 2 can be fun at times and has more to do than just "follow this light, lol".

Also, Mega Block Man 2 has a level editor. Hard to argue with that.

God bless America.
ChevyRay
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »

I don't like the username of the person who made Beacon, and the game itself was very... Uninteresting. I just followed some light. There was nothing to actually do in the game.

Ahahaha :D

That just made my day Grin best review EVER!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »

Yes, I do keep forgetting we let 12-year olds use the internet.  Very nice review!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic