Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:37:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBrogue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Brogue  (Read 16565 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »

Well I think it's partially because of the generation: You'd have to generate 2-wide tunnels and other stuff. Also, it might be a limitation of the engine? I'unno.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »

how do you deal with goblin conjurers conjuring up a million acid mounds? or even acid mounds in general. both times i've gotten past floor 10, i died because of that. most new enemies past floor 8 seem impossible to beat without doing tricky shit

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »

@jakman: its because they would be messy to display with ascii graphics i think.  Tongue

brogue is probably isn't the right game for it but it'd definitely be cool to see a (real, turnbased) roguelike with differently sized enemies though. that their movement would be restricted wouldn't even be a problem you could just make it part of the game design. "boss rooms" with big, tough enemies that can't move out of them would be one idea.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:15 AM »

I thought a little more and remembered Legends of Yore had it.
The bosses in that game would just smash the wall down if it was in their way. It was ridiculous.

Brogue Tale(feel free to skip)
That said, come stay a while and listen.

My journey began on a bed of fungi. I looked to my right and saw some shrubs. The room was rectangular and had a stone floor and walls. I wondered to myself, why has the fungus overgrown so rampantly in this place? Then I wandered out of the room to the one above me. The answer lay directly afore me, yet it also brought with it a stream of further questions; I saw a lake. A beautiful, gleaming lake. It pushed, carved, cut, and impeded through the crumbled ruins of the rectangular structures. How did this get here? I looked above me. Nope, no holes.

I turned arou--EGAD. A rat, the fellow must have been rabid and terribly famished, rushed towards me. In a scuffle, I retrieved a dart from my pack and threw it at the rat. It was clearly hurt, its blood spilled out all over the ground. Yet, it still rushed towards me. I unsheathed my dagger and stabbed the critter as it leapt for me. I defeated it.

I wandered more. I traced the shore of the lake, and on the ground found a scroll. On it was written gibberish, but I had a hunch that speaking those words would do something. I was right. Oh boy, was I right. The next thing I knew I was in a small dark room. It was full of thick foliage and sleeping jackals surrounded me. I crept up on one and murdered it in it's sleep--then another. I cleared the room and took some gold lying on the ground. There was door beneath me, so I exited it in hopes to regain my bearings--another egad. A large chasm lay right in front of me. In the distance I heard shrill screams, coming from the mouth of the chasm. In fear I fled, back into the previous room and exited it through the door on it's left. I was in a hallway, and I walked through it. On the other side, the lake. I sighed in relief. To my left was a staff, so I went and took it. Out of curiosity, I shot it at a far wall. To my surprise, green crystals grew all over the wall and closed the entrance to a far off hallway. Peculiar, yes, but I knew it could come in handy in a tough spot.

I ventured onwards, backtracking into the room I teleported into, for I recalled a third door. I went through it, and in it I espied some gold coins. I turned another corner, and there lied a staircase. I heard the same shrieks from before, but this time fainter. I dared myself to push on. I couldn't go back. There was no back. There was only the now--only the here--wherever I was. It was it's own universe, sealed in a black box.

TL;DR this game is sweet.
The atmosphere and wonder I get while playing this game is amazing.

st33d
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »

I got thinking; why in a roguelike have I never seen an enemy bigger than 1x1?(one symbol)(maybe I just haven't played the right ones, of course)
Does Brogue have any supra-large enemies?

I think there are some roguelikes with multi-tile monsters.

However the "definition" does suggest that monsters and the player be cast from the same mould. This means that monsters always have the same degree of movement (a 2x2 monster you would simply poke from a corridor where it could not enter) as the player. And it also encourages polymorph mechanics, which make for some very interesting gameplay.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »

@jakman: its because they would be messy to display with ascii graphics i think.  Tongue

brogue is probably isn't the right game for it but it'd definitely be cool to see a (real, turnbased) roguelike with differently sized enemies though. that their movement would be restricted wouldn't even be a problem you could just make it part of the game design. "boss rooms" with big, tough enemies that can't move out of them would be one idea.

I would like notable ground height somehow too, like if you stand on a cliff above your enemy, he couldnt reach you by melee even when being on adjacent tiles and stuff.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »

@jakman: its because they would be messy to display with ascii graphics i think.  Tongue

I would like notable ground height somehow too, like if you stand on a cliff above your enemy, he couldnt reach you by melee even when being on adjacent tiles and stuff.

That would be tricky to show (at least for an ascii based roguelike).
iffi
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »

That would be tricky to show (at least for an ascii based roguelike).
Yes it would, but it would be interesting. Brogue does this to a certain extent with its cliffs, but that's limited to traversal between different distinct dungeon floors. Does Dwarf Fortress's adventurer mode do anything like this, since I know there's plenty of Z-levels to take advantage of in fortress mode?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »

df adventure mode has z-levels too, yes. kinda messy though. i enjoy 2d roguelikes more tbh.

just as an aside: adventure mode is really worth a try in the df new version. it's a lot more interesting (and hard) than it used to be.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

My previous character had a +7 broadsword, ring of transference and a staff of lightning. Then I stepped on a paralysis trap and watched helplessly as two sentinels shot me until I died. Good times.

I'm starting to learn how to get keys safely, which leads to fantastic loot. Most of the game's best items seem to be in those ornate hidden rooms. I've even learned that you can get around the "one item per room" limit by putting items back on their pedestal after they outlive their usefulness - I chose a plate mail in one room, but then I found a plate mail on a deeper level so I went back and dropped it in order to pick an item that better suited my needs.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Ashkin
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »

Man, I have NEVER seen a key. Do I have to meet some requirement? Where are they found?
I hate it when I'm placed in a closed room and have to wait until an enemy comes through a hidden door, revealing it to me. Is there a better way to find doors?

Also, I really want this to be portable somehow. Doubt it would work well on iOS, though.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »

how have you not seen a key, they're everywhere

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »

sometimes they're on pedestals, and you have to throw a dart or a ranged weapon at a pressure plate in order to get the key
Ashkin
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »

Ohhhh, I think the version I'm playing might be kind of old. Derp.
EDIT:
I was stuck back in the stone age with 1.4. This new version looks much better Shocked
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:40:19 PM by Ashkin » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:59 AM »

ya 1.4 is ancient by now. i thought brogue was a *good* game before but didn't really become great until the update that introduced the keys among other things (1.5 i think?)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »

The keys and traps are probably my favorite thing in Brogue.  Really helps to make the dungeon feel like more than a collection of rooms.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:19 AM »

The keys and traps are probably my favorite thing in Brogue.  Really helps to make the dungeon feel like more than a collection of rooms.
The beautifully animated terrain helps too. I was in awe the first time I saw deep water that covered half a level. And the rickety rope bridge over a massive chasm... knowing how dangerous roguelikes can be, I was totally expecting that the bridge would collapse and send me straight to hell Tongue

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:45 AM »

So apparently a +8 ring of reg causes your hit points to regenerate fully in 30 turns instead of 300 turns, almost letting you out-regenerate the damage caused by being on fire. I need to try this strategy more often. Cheesy

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »

A +10 ring of regen will out regen poisonous gas.  A +18 will regen your full health every turn, meaning you can only die if you get one-shotted.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »

sometimes they're on pedestals, and you have to throw a dart or a ranged weapon at a pressure plate in order to get the key
oh wait you can actually do that? i've always wasted levitation potions to hover over to the pressure plate until now.  Facepalm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic