Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:37:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkullboy ( Complete re-haul! -=Feb 18/09=- )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Skullboy ( Complete re-haul! -=Feb 18/09=- )  (Read 85331 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »

Like I said over at Eo:

I would offer to help you out with music or level design, but you've already got those covered.

Good luck!

Seriously, this looks awesome.  I think I am most looking forward to the writing - that's my favorite part of your stuff.

ChevyRay
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »

Thanks, Matt Smiley

Working on a graveyard setting. Needing some refined and multilayered backgrounds, but unless I get another pixel artist, I'll probably be saving that stuff for after-production.

Also got a good pal working on a schweet lighting engine for me, so there'll be all kinds of lights, lanterns, and other such stuff to add to the spookiness and scene.
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 04:23:41 AM »

Already told ya I'm loving the look of this but ya hadn't shown me the lovely concept art before!

Anyways if you still need any lil pixel help here and there I can take a shot at some.  Be a way of payback for the bits of GML coding you've helped me with.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »

Lighting Engine?!  Awesome... I have high hopes for this game, looks like a great team. ChevyRay, why can't MetaKnightmareGirl do any pixeling?  I wish I could help out some but I am currently in the middle of a project.  The concepts are looking incredible.  Can't wait to see this baby running!

ChevyRay
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

MKG can do whatever she wants Smiley We've already considered getting her set up with some pixel software and seeing what she can do. It's up to her how much she wants to take on, I'm already overly satisfied with the art here.

Just got the basic lighting engine up and running, courtesy of my pal Srehpog over at Eo. He's got a great lighting engine, so he extracted some tidbits from it for me to use in Skullboy.

I wish I could help out some but I am currently in the middle of a project.
I've screenshots of this project. I wouldn't DARE intrude on its manifestation. Thanks for the encouragement, though!

Already told ya I'm loving the look of this but ya hadn't shown me the lovely concept art before!
:O I guess not! Sorry man, every time I catch you on MSN seems to be at school and short-lived. Heh, I won't ask (because I'm too shy), but your pixel art might stand out a little too much next to mine anyways.

Wink When I get to working the details of the game, you can count on me dropping by for help here or there.

For the rest of the night, gonna work on some extensive Skullboy actions (this includes shooting a bow and navigating with a lantern). Peace.
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »

:O I guess not! Sorry man, every time I catch you on MSN seems to be at school and short-lived. Heh, I won't ask (because I'm too shy), but your pixel art might stand out a little too much next to mine anyways.

If you're worried about consistency it's ok.  I can try emulating the style. 

More I look at Skullboy the more I get sorta reminded of a mini project I started on a couple years ago called Kid Zombi.  http://carnivac.co.uk/kidzombie.png Pics as link cos feels bit like hijacking thread to show them direct in the post.  What started as a fairly light hearted tale of an undead youth got eventually felt a bit off to me when a friend of mine kept thinking up all these morbid possible background stories to why a small child in his pyjamas became a flesh eating ghoul.  Somehow the game didn't feel all that light to me anymore  Sad

ChevyRay
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »

Hehe, neat stuff there. I love the sprite of the floating girl holding the [heart?].
ChevyRay
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »

Shooting the Bone & Arrow.

Doing a slam-attack.

Up next: the lantern.
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 01:31:51 AM »

Hehe, neat stuff there. I love the sprite of the floating girl holding the [heart?].

Yeah it's a lil nursemaid character that's actually based on a character by a friend of mine.  Her role was a sorta nanny to the child who had also got killed too but still tries to look after the kid and keep it happy, seemingly going so far as to feed it the hearts of other people.

Nice new screenshots by the way.  The bone & arrow thing almost makes me wanna do that lil Robin Hood mini-platformer again. 

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 03:54:36 AM »

Yeah, this is looking awesome. Nice graphical style and I like having different moves available, very retro platformery.

Nice new screenshots by the way.  The bone & arrow thing almost makes me wanna do that lil Robin Hood mini-platformer again. 

Do it! Though you can finish Hero first. ^_^

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »

That graveyard tileset inspired me to work on a creepy graveyard BGM  Gentleman
ChevyRay
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »

Do it! I wanna hear your stuff Smiley

Oh, and check it out.

I've let a couple people play around with the grappling engine so far, and the reception has been fairly good. The throwing works very similar to how Earthworm Jim throws the snot-swing in the 2nd of the Genesis games, but in Skullboy you can control him when he swings, going back-and-forth to get speed.

I've got the lantern does as well, but I won't post any screenshots until I get the lighting engine full implemented and adjusted to my liking. Suffice to say, I've finished all of Skullboy's tools now.

Also, finished all the GUI stuff. Real flashy, and animated. I'll post some screenshots as soon as I get home, since I don't work today after my course. Gotta clean the house first, of course Roll Eyes since that's been a little bit untended to with me working so hard on Skullboy and all.

Next up: platforms! As soon as I get a good arsenal of platform objects, enemies, and other things ready, I'll be getting to work on the first stage of the game!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:48:02 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »

Wooot

this looks like plain simple fun.

I like it.  Embarrassed
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »

Wow this is looking incredible! Kiss The production also seems to be moving along real fast, awesome!

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »

Shocked  ChevyRay, this is awesome!  Thanks of posting updates, I love checking in to see a new screen shot.  Can't wait to see more!

ChevyRay
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »

I'll definitely try to keep you guys updated to the max. If I (for whatever reason) seem out of the loop for a little while, anybody feel welcome to PM me and ask/demand updates or whatever. My PMs are emailed to me, so I'll be sure to get the message.

Thanks guys! Grin So much more fun when people are rootin' ya along.

EDIT: Updated the first post with a bunch of links to some concept art. MKG is working on more, but is having computer troubles presently, so when that's all fixed you will be seeing more from her Smiley
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:57:42 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »

I love grappling hooks in platformers! This keeps getting betterer and betterer.

Knightmare
Level 1

Brittany Cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »

Hey there, TIGers.

Sorry for the absence, I've been having lots of computer troubles lately.  And, as I have been telling you already Chev, your progress is amazing.  Looks awesome, great pixel work!  Again, sorry for my lack of updates.

Anyways, last night I designed another one of the bosses.  The piece isn't finished, but you can at least get a glimpse of his design.   Smiley

Also I have been doing some designs for environments and such, so far none of them 100% complete, and when they are I will post them.  (Anybody have any tips on digital painting?   Sad)

Hopefully I can post more here, my computer is running pretty smoothly.

Thanks for the positive response, guys!   Beer!

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »

I don't know why, but I really like something about that boss.
ChevyRay
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

I know exactly why I like it Kiss

1) Easy to adapt into pixel.
2) Awesome expression, easy to elaborate on for animations.
3) Undoubtedly evil.

Awesome stuff so far, MKG. Your art has been posted on the first page, so I'll continue to accumulate it there (unless you say otherwise). I love the little skull on the end of his hat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:30:44 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic