Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:40:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211378 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1560 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
by Alfred Lansing

I read about Shackleton and his Imperial Trans-antarctic Expedion on another book about Antarctica and picked up the book. It's really fascinating survival story. In short group of men try to cross Antarctica in 1914 but get stuck in pack-ice. Their ship is lost and they manage to get to small uninhabited island. The leader Ernest Shackleton and few other men decide to sail away over 2000km on world's most stormy sea to get help using a small rescue boat while others stay on the island. Against all odds, Shackleton and co. succeed and later save all men from the island after several months.

Kind of mind boggling what they had to endure  Crazy

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 27, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »

I'm reading Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 27, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »

American Prometheus - the Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: August 27, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »

"Dune" - it's so good; though I'm not finished yet, I feel like it might be one of my favorite science-fiction novels.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 31, 2013, 03:57:37 AM »

Alright I finished Tiger's Destiny, and now I'm more than halfway through "Inferno" by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1565 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00:26 AM »

"Dune" - it's so good; though I'm not finished yet, I feel like it might be one of my favorite science-fiction novels.

Read it multiple times, and make sure not to skip the appendices. There's a lot of interconnected political, ecological, and narrative intricacies that make Dune a really rewarding re-read.
Blambo
« Reply #1566 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »

Been reading the Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Some of it's fairly obtuse, and other times it slaps you in the face with symbolism.

But I like that it's able to express an experience that requires a very specific perspective in a way that's easily understandable by many.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 31, 2013, 09:49:10 PM »

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Very engrossing, just like the TV series. I like how each chapter is relatively short, and more of a slice of life of each character rather than a chronicle of events. It means finishing a chapter is quite satisfying.

Unfortunately, I feel as though the way that lore and history is introduced through dialogue is a bit clumsy and on-the-nose. Even still, I think it would be difficult for someone new to the GoT universe to follow.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 08, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »

Suttree by Cormac McCarthy.
After finishing The Road by the same author a few days ago, I wanted to read more of his works, but was unable to obtain a book of him in nearby bookstores.
So today I went to a fleamarket in order to get a McCarthy book and I was succesful.
Happy me.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
antoniodamala
« Reply #1569 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Very engrossing, just like the TV series. I like how each chapter is relatively short, and more of a slice of life of each character rather than a chronicle of events. It means finishing a chapter is quite satisfying.

Unfortunately, I feel as though the way that lore and history is introduced through dialogue is a bit clumsy and on-the-nose. Even still, I think it would be difficult for someone new to the GoT universe to follow.

Yea, had some friends that finished the seasons before delving into each book. But I started without watching the series and I'm enjoying a lot more like this. I mean the series is great and probably the best way to adapt the book without making one episode to each chapter, but I still enjoy the book more. I like how slow paced the book is and how you feel the weight of each moment, and how you are not supposed to dash through it. And how the lore is there but you still don't "need" it to enjoy the book. And the storytelling is amazing.

My only quarrel with the series are the fighting scenes, they are mostly bad.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1570 on: September 08, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry

The title is horrible, but the book is quite entertaining. It's half way between documentary and drama, and overall quite refreshing.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1571 on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

Free For A Fee for my copyright law class. Uuhguhghegggggggg do not like.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 08, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »

This:

http://books.google.se/books/about/From_Proto_Indo_European_to_Proto_German.html?id=lCPZfXPfWVIC&redir_esc=y

About halfway in now.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 08, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

Shaun Tan's The Arrival is a children's picture book with no words, yet it tells a magnificent story. I'd advise anyone interested in using imagery to elaborate context in games to check this out.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »

People who like that kind of book may also like

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:33 AM »

Dewdney's Planiverse
Blambo
« Reply #1576 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »

So...interesting

but so...dry
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »

Shaun Tan's The Arrival is a children's picture book with no words, yet it tells a magnificent story. I'd advise anyone interested in using imagery to elaborate context in games to check this out.

-snip-
I love Shaun Tan. As an Australian, teachers reading us his books in primary school was a common occurrence. I wanted to buy The Arrival for myself because it's so awesome, but it's sold almost everywhere for the ungodly price of $30/$40 .
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: September 10, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »

Anyone here have any recommendations for books about/involving psychology? I read the entire reader's edition of The Red Book and loved it.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

I'm reading Chernow's book on Alexander Hamilton. It is interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic